PDA

View Full Version : Oxford / Cabair on your CV

JT8
5th Dec 2001, 17:59
Hi folks,

I'm sorry to bring up this discussion again, but I'm really in need of some advice.

I'm starting modular training in June, and am deciding on schools. I recently asked on another thread (Which school for the CPL & IR?) for any feedback on a few schools ( Cabair, PAT, Bristol Flight Centre & Multiflight). Thanks for the comments there.

Now, for some reason (despite reading the current OATS thread!) I'm considering the CPL and IR with them or Cabair. I will be visiting the schools shortly to take a good look around to see which suits me and my requirements. However, the question comes down to:

Am I more likely to get a job with low hours having trained at OATS or CABAIR because they are in a position to refer you to an airline if you are suitable? Or am I being completely naive, and given in to their marketing ploys?!??

Would I be wiser to go to PAT or Bristol (works out much cheaper)and put the saved money towards more multi hours and/or a FI rating?

Looking forward to the pprune seminars next week - I'm sure many of my questions will be answered then.

Until then please help! :confused: :confused:
JT8

OLBA18
5th Dec 2001, 18:26
I went to Cabair and have had 3 job interviews since then and no one was bothered whether it was Cabair or OATS.
Cabair's name is well known and the interviewers seemed more interested in how you did on the course eg first time passes, grades, flying tests (partials or not etc)and how you progressed on the course - rather than which school it was. My advise would be go for which ever school you feel you would be more comfortable in, and then work every waking hour of the day to give yourself the best chance and confidence at interview.

JT8
5th Dec 2001, 19:08
OLBA18,

Thanks for your reply. When did you graduate from Cabair? Was it an integrated or modular course, and how many hours did you have when invited for interview?

[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: JT8 ]

everhard
6th Dec 2001, 06:18
Beware the marketing people with silver hair, for white man speak with (silver)forked tongue. Ignore the guff you will get at the open day from the sales people (they're less trustworthy than door-to-door double glazing salesmen) and go with your gut instinct about the place.

Best advice I can give is find the students already there, preferably someone near the end of training as they have the best inside knowledge, and have a long talk with them over a coffee (or beer - I don't know any student who would refuse a free beer!!!). Draw up a list of questions you want answered, and compare what the marketing dept says compared to the punters. Oh, and obviously don't let the salespeople "choose" you a student.

It's big money at stake, and all the schools are really interested in is getting their hands on yours! It's a little like the X-files - the truth is out there, but trust no-one!!!

Good luck whatever happens. ;)

OLBA18
6th Dec 2001, 06:21
I finished the course in 1997 and was fortunate enough to be interviewed at 194 hours total. At the time things were good and all on my course (integrated) got jobs within 3 months, I don't think it would be quite the same now and so if I were thinking about starting now on an integrated course I would probably delay into the summer and then hope that by the time I'd finished things had picked up i.e summer 2003.
Yes it is expensive and I'm still paying it off !!

JT8
6th Dec 2001, 16:53
OLBA18 - I am hoping to start in summer, aiming to graduate around September 2003.
Any hints on which airlines you and your colleagues got jobs with?!? Did cabair offer you any assistance with your jobsearch?
Sorry for all the questions!

Cheers, JT8

JT8
6th Dec 2001, 19:36
BF2 - Still undecided at the moment. Hoping to visit Cabair, Oxford and PAT next week. Still hopelessly confused to be honest :confused: I liked what I saw at Bristol Flying centre, and that would cost less living at home.

I'm leaning towards OATS: doing the ATPLS through distant learning, followed by hour building with Naples in FL, then back to Oxford for the CPL & IR. MCC in Southampton with ATP Academy. However, I must go visit the place first. I might not like what I see. :eek:

Where are you off to then?
JT8

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: JT8 ]

OLBA18
6th Dec 2001, 19:51
JTD The airlines we all got jobs with have either gone bust, been taken over or changed name about three times! The best thing to do as things change the whole time would be to compile a mail list with all the UK airlines addresses on and start sending out your CV now, albeit that your're not qualified. This may sound stupid but I found at least you get back responses with the correct personel address and contact person on. You can then update your mail list and every two months during your course send off an updated CV that may reach the correct person. As you near the end of your course and having sent off about 6 CV'S to each airline you are then in a better position to phone them up directly and say that you have sent x number of CV'S and been turned down x number of times - is there anything you can do or they could suggest that would put you in a position to be invited to interview.
You've probably heard the above before anyway, so unfortunately I don't know who might be a good airline to try now so I can only suggest you try them all - I had about 60 UK airlines on my list at the time.

OLBA18
6th Dec 2001, 19:59
Just to answer the last part of your question - Cabair did end up placing some people with BWA but it was really up to you to do your own job hunting, the best advise they gave was to simplify your CV to one side of A4, cut out all the crap and put a passport picture on each cv( btw get the pictures done professionally it's cheaper in the long run to just buy 200 to start with)

JT8
6th Dec 2001, 21:17
OLBA18 - I havent heard of that approach before, but it's an interesting one! Thanks for your answers, much appreciated ;)

BillyFish2
6th Dec 2001, 21:35
JT8, Tiz baesystems in Jerez for me.

andy.summers
7th Dec 2001, 02:01
I think Billy might have the right idea - I know at least one large airline was looking at Jerez for ab initio training before it all went wrong. Havig said that, I did a CPL/IR at Cranfield and a 737 appreciation course at Oxford, and both were about as good as you are going to get in this business.

However in the current climate I think whichever you choose it would be prudent to have enough money to do an FI rating at the end of it. Having more than 200 hours helps you to stand out from the crowd, and it also means that you are applying to airlines as a current pilot, even if it is on light singles. Oh yeah, and I reckon a year instructing also makes you a more competent pilot.

Give it 100% effort. Good luck!

ColinF
7th Dec 2001, 22:42
I'm starting at Cabair V.soon! Having looked at the others, I found Cabair had a friendly, warm feel about it. i know all schools have their problems, but to me Cabair seemed to have the least!!!

Can't f*****g wait!

Good luck JT8!