PDA

View Full Version : IR training, aircraft requirements?

CAP A330
2nd Oct 2023, 17:51
Hello all,

In looking to do CBIR then IR training, I was thinking of using an aircraft that I own a share in. This would mean paying only the instructor his hourly rate (and instrument approach costs).

My question, I understand that the aircraft has to be capable of IFR flight, but what does that entail? I know it means it can’t have a “VFR only” sticker on the inside!

Can I train for an IMC rating and then the full IR in a bog standard C152?

Stan Evil
21st Oct 2023, 11:24
You can find the requirements for IFR instrumentation in Part-NCO. For an IR, from a nav-kit point of view you'll need VOR/ILS/DME, mode S transponder, 8.33KHz radio, plus a GPS that is 'approach certified' - such as a panel mounted GNS430W. The aircraft POH will need to have the certification of the GPS included as a supplement. The last 10 hours of a CBIR must be done at an ATO; if your aircraft meets the spec then they will probably be prepared to put it on the books.
For an IR(R)/IMC rating, the aircraft only requires VHF radio plus a VOR and ADF, but you won't learn much with just that equipment.
Read CAA Standards Documents 25 (IMC), 1 (IRT) and 7 (aircraft approval - this is out of date, but it gives you an idea of what the examiner will expect)

CAP A330
31st Oct 2023, 10:48
You can find the requirements for IFR instrumentation in Part-NCO. For an IR, from a nav-kit point of view you'll need VOR/ILS/DME, mode S transponder, 8.33KHz radio, plus a GPS that is 'approach certified' - such as a panel mounted GNS430W. The aircraft POH will need to have the certification of the GPS included as a supplement. The last 10 hours of a CBIR must be done at an ATO; if your aircraft meets the spec then they will probably be prepared to put it on the books.
For an IR(R)/IMC rating, the aircraft only requires VHF radio plus a VOR and ADF, but you won't learn much with just that equipment.
Read CAA Standards Documents 25 (IMC), 1 (IRT) and 7 (aircraft approval - this is out of date, but it gives you an idea of what the examiner will expect)
Thank you.