PDA

View Full Version : Airline Systems Safety

gcafinal
27th Sep 2023, 03:54
The national news in Australia has been dominated by the situation in Qantas. If news reports are to be believed, we are being told that morale in that airline is at an all time low for a number of reasons. From an aviation systems safety perspective, this highly indicates the presence of significant latent failures leading to an active failure soon. If aircrews are significantly unhappy and by all accounts they are, then their judgements while flying in command will be impaired and matters relating to CRM will not help. Their operational focus is elsewhere. We lost a national airline (Ansett) some years ago as a result of CASA action for alleged safety breaches and the whole airline was permanently put on the street. It seems to me that the situation we are now seeing, is a long way beyond where Ansett was and yet there has been no comment from CASA. As an aside, my wife and I worked out that between us over a 50 year working period, our combined income was of the order of AUD $6 million. If pay issues exist within an airline or any agency for that matter, then how does the Australian Government and public justify the astonishing sums of money being given to Senior Executives for "performance," when clearly that performance is not evident. The salaries of a hundred aircraft maintenance engineers put on the street overnight would have been about AUD $30 million for 50 years. Are we missing something ?

Icarus2001
27th Sep 2023, 04:24
this highly indicates the presence of significant latent failures leading to an active failure soon.

​​​​​​​ We lost a national airline (Ansett) some years ago as a result of CASA action for alleged safety breaches

​​​​​​​ As an aside, my wife and I worked out that between us over a 50 year working period, our combined income was of the order of AUD $6 million.

​​​​​​​School holidays?

LAME2
27th Sep 2023, 04:40
It’s been reported in todays press Dan Andrews will be getting $300,000 pension for life. He is currently 51 years of age. I sometimes think our expectations are out of kilter with reality. Perhaps given what we read of QF and Dan, this is a figure we should expect for executives.

Those of us at the coalface cannot hope to get those sort of figures either as wages(QF) or pension (Dan). Food for thought.

gordonfvckingramsay
28th Sep 2023, 02:44
It’s been reported in todays press Dan Andrews will be getting $300,000 pension for life. He is currently 51 years of age. I sometimes think our expectations are out of kilter with reality. Perhaps given what we read of QF and Dan, this is a figure we should expect for executives.

Those of us at the coalface cannot hope to get those sort of figures either as wages(QF) or pension (Dan). Food for thought.

And the rest of the industry/world?? How do you explain the salaries being thrown around out on the real world? They (company execs) wanted globalisation, globalised T&C’s are only fair. You’re entitled to your opinion, but a self limiting attitude is not helpful to anyone but the execs who wants to think that way.

As far as safety is concerned, we have been burning the safety candle at both ends in every conceivable way for a couple of decades. Morale, maintenance, support, ATC, basically everything that we come into contact with has been cut to the point where luck is starting to form a pillar of all operations. I’d love to be proven wrong.

walesregent
28th Sep 2023, 03:14
As far as safety is concerned, we have been burning the safety candle at both ends in every conceivable way for a couple of decades. Morale, maintenance, support, ATC, basically everything that we come into contact with has been cut to the point where luck is starting to form a pillar of all operations. I’d love to be proven wrong.

I’m sure airline execs have priced in a double hull loss and are comfortable with the current operating environment. People would be shocked. People would talk about it for generations. People would not, however (long term, anyway), stop buying seats on flights.

megan
28th Sep 2023, 05:07
People would talk about it for generations. People would not, however (long term, anyway), stop buying seats on flightsDepending on the cause it could very well see the collapse of the company concerned though because of the taint on their reputation. Especially if you have always promoted the "never had an accident" line.

VHOED191006
28th Sep 2023, 05:15
Depending on the cause it could very well see the collapse of the company concerned though because of the taint on their reputation. Especially if you have always promoted the "never had an accident" line.
Oh please. The company will never disappear from existence.

mustafagander
28th Sep 2023, 11:12
Malaysia did OK after MH370 & MH17 crashes. Business was pretty bad for about a year as I understand it then back to normal.