PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Air Force Super Puma (of Cougar) damaged in Airshow Training

Rotorbee
23rd Sep 2023, 05:49
Apparently the damage is substantial. Rumour is, that ship will not fly again or maybe just some of its pieces but there is no official comment yet.
Video (https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=705568304753112)
The Swiss Air Force has done this routine for many years. Well sometimes s... happens. Nobody hurt at least.

PS: Darn it. Too early in the morning. That should mean "or Cougar". Too bad one can't edit the title.

megan
23rd Sep 2023, 06:50
Couger/Puma, what's in a title, basically the same aircraft you couldn't pick the difference from an aircraft recognition silhouette competition.

23rd Sep 2023, 07:01
Wonder what the Nr went to in that harsh flare.

Must have been close to VNE in that dive, wonder if the pull out put them into RBS?

Phoinix
23rd Sep 2023, 07:19
Jack stall?

ShyTorque
23rd Sep 2023, 08:50
Almost certainly retreating blade stall, followed by a very significant rotor over speed. The Puma will bite very hard if you push it too far.

I limited my similar manoeuvre in the vertical to a roll through 180° from 500’ agl rather than 360° from higher because of the relatively limited lateral cyclic authority and (unsurprisingly) the very rapid increase in IAS when 90° nose down. I “gained” some roll by getting the nose to drop with reverse airspeed. Looks like this pilot delayed the roll, let the airspeed build too far and the aircraft taught him a lesson.

Thud_and_Blunder
24th Sep 2023, 16:10
Does anyone have a link other than on Wastebook, please? I've blocked that from all my browsers...

twinstar_ca
24th Sep 2023, 17:38
I almost shat myself just watching!!! :sad::uhoh:

gazpad
24th Sep 2023, 23:51
Does anyone have a link other than on Wastebook, please? I've blocked that from all my browsers...

https://www.blick.ch/politik/armeehelikopter-super-puma-der-armee-bei-flugschau-in-frankreich-beschaedigt-id18970251.html

It's also from another perspective.