PDA

View Full Version : Robinson overhaul questions

60FltMech
22nd Sep 2023, 13:52
Figured this was the group to ask. One of the Pilots I crew with was taking about a 2007 Robinson R44 that he saw for sale. It appears to have about 700 hours remaining before overhaul. Cost is US$279,000, can’t remember the specifics on equipment etc.

This got us wondering: what’s actually involved in the overhaul process for the R44? Does it have to go back to the manufacturer or can it be accomplished by an A&P mechanic and inspected by an IA (obviously I’m in the United States)?

Looking forward to the responses, always fun to learn something new.

FltMech

bellblade2014
22nd Sep 2023, 14:46
Figured this was the group to ask. One of the Pilots I crew with was taking about a 2007 Robinson R44 that he saw for sale. It appears to have about 700 hours remaining before overhaul. Cost is US$279,000, can’t remember the specifics on equipment etc.

This got us wondering: what’s actually involved in the overhaul process for the R44? Does it have to go back to the manufacturer or can it be accomplished by an A&P mechanic and inspected by an IA (obviously I’m in the United States)?

FltMech

I think the factory can do overhauls, but I have heard that can be slow. They have a service center network that seems to mostly do overhauls. Check out Sevier County Choppers who advertises a lot about overhauls.
http://www.seviercountychoppers.com

Rotorbee
22nd Sep 2023, 14:50
You can also buy overhaul kits from various sources.

Heli Doc
22nd Sep 2023, 16:31

FltMech

An A&P can perform the overhaul, it does not have to go back to the factory or an authorized service center. The "Overhaul" is really replacing most of the helicopter with new or overhauled parts anyway.

wrench1
22nd Sep 2023, 22:31
what’s actually involved in the overhaul process for the R44? Does it have to go back to the manufacturer or can it be accomplished by an A&P mechanic and inspected by an IA (obviously I’m in the United States)?
FWIW: If the aircraft is operated Part 91, the factory overhaul inspection is not technically required. The OEM overhaul route is simply one method to follow but it is not a regulatory requirement. Your other option is to maintain the aircraft under Part 91.409(a), Part 43.15, Part 43 Appendix D, and R44 Airworthiness Limitation Section requirements in Chapter 3.3 (https://robinsonheli.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/r44_mm_3.pdf).
Some do a combination of both by following the 91/43 route through the initial 2200 hour retirement items then follow the factory overhaul inspection when the 4400 hour items hit retirement. If its a Cadet there are different retirement times. The engine can also remain on condition for as long as it meets its airworthy specifications.