PDA

View Full Version : PICUS HOURS EASA to FAA

Stevenvl
19th Sep 2023, 19:08
Hello all,

As I am in the process of obtaining a green card (marriage) I was wondering about converting my EASA ATPL to FAA ATP. My understanding is that I am elligible for starting an ATP CTP. For an EASA ATPL you need at least 250 hours of PIC of which 70 hours actual PIC and the rest as PICUS.

I was wondering if anybody can help me verify if these PIC and PICUS hours obtained in my EASA license can be transferred towards an FAA license?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Steven

rudestuff
19th Sep 2023, 21:35
You want an FAA certificate. Would you consider reading Part 61?

awair
20th Sep 2023, 01:27
PICUS would be regarded as ‘logging PIC time’. Sole manipulator…

See 14 CFR 61.51 on ecfr.gov

rudestuff
20th Sep 2023, 06:06
Awww, you made it too easy!

bafanguy
20th Sep 2023, 11:30
Steven,

This FAA letter of interpretation may interest you:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/Data/interps/2012/Counsil_2012_Legal_Interpretation.pdf

bafanguy
20th Sep 2023, 14:46
And maybe this one too:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/Data/interps/2012/Duncan-AFS-200_2012_Legal_Interpretation.pdf

FourStripes
27th Sep 2023, 06:50
Start with getting the ATP CTP certifcate first. Then move on to getting the written done. Then the shooting match for the flying part begins. But the broad strokes will always begin with the ATP CTP, so get that done first.

awair
27th Sep 2023, 09:08
Start with getting the ATP CTP certifcate first. Then move on to getting the written done. Then the shooting match for the flying part begins. But the broad strokes will always begin with the ATP CTP, so get that done first.

Depending on your age, experience and currency with GA, you may wish to obtain your ATP with a type rating?

Or consider Commercial Multi & Instrument only, and your new employer will pay for the ATP-CTP when you start your course.

A major limitation for those with plenty of experience, is a lack of Part 121 hours making you ineligible for immediate command.

bafanguy
27th Sep 2023, 12:29
A major limitation for those with plenty of experience, is a lack of Part 121 hours making you ineligible for immediate command.

Stevenvl didn't state his current level of experience ( or if he did I missed it). In any event, a person coming here might want a couple of years experience in US airports/airspace and perhaps a new aircraft type before assuming a captain spot. 1000 hours (~ 2 years) SIC under US FAA Part 121 won't hurt a bit and might even be a plus. Just a thought...

rudestuff
27th Sep 2023, 20:04
Don't bother with Commercial Instrument, it's two check rides including ground reference maneuvers. The ATP will be easier to get if you meet the experience requirements.

MarkerInbound
28th Sep 2023, 01:37
Plus for a FAA commercial you have to hold a FAA private. A 61.75 “based on” works to meet the requirement but it’s another round of paperwork.