PDA

View Full Version : Order of ATPL Exams at large flight schools - UK and EASA

MGJason
17th Sep 2023, 02:19
Hello, looking for a bit of feedback from recent students who are on integrated courses at some of the larger flight schools - L3 Harris, FTE Jerez, Skyborne etc.

Please can you share the order the ATPL exams are done, number of sittings and sitting breakdown.

Also if it varies depending on if you are on an Airline sponsored scheme or self funded through the flying school themselves.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

ManFlex40
17th Sep 2023, 21:11
Module 1:
AGK
HPL
POF
Mass and Balance
Met

Module 2:
Instrumentation
Gen Nav (shudder…)
Performance
Comms

Module 3:
RNAV
Ops
Air Law
Flight Planning

MGJason
17th Sep 2023, 23:24
Module 1:
AGK
HPL
POF
Mass and Balance
Met

Module 2:
Instrumentation
Gen Nav (shudder…)
Performance
Comms

Module 3:
RNAV
Ops
Air Law
Flight Planning

Thank you, which ATO was this?

Reason I ask is I’ve currently been studying MET / GNAV / HPL / Instrumentation via modular route but haven’t sat any exams yet, I’m considering changing to integrated and looking at what subjects I should study next before starting.

Any other feedback from how the ATPLs were taught?

VariablePitchP
18th Sep 2023, 06:43

Reason I ask is I’ve currently been studying MET / GNAV / HPL / Instrumentation via modular route but haven’t sat any exams yet, I’m considering changing to integrated and looking at what subjects I should study next before starting.

Changing to integrated - are you mad?!

MGJason
18th Sep 2023, 06:55
Changing to integrated - are you mad?!

In my situation it’s a much quicker / efficient way to get to where I want to be.

Obviously costs involved but there’s positives and negatives to each route.

ManFlex40
18th Sep 2023, 07:22

ATO is Skyborne.

For the love of god do not change to integrated!!

RichardH
18th Sep 2023, 08:12
MGJason, these days most UK based integrated ATOs do a three module system it will not make any difference whether this is Airline 'sponsored' or self-funded as they are usually sitting in the same class.
Therefore assuming you pass everything first time you should take about 8 months & 3 sittings then move onto the fun bit.

The order of subjects will depend on that ATO, there is no hard & fast rule as to what comes first but as Met underpins everything it makes good sense that this comes first & you really need to do GNav before Flight Planning.

As you have already started on your ATPLs as others have said you must be mad to consider switching to integrated as your PPL will count for very little. I suspect like lots of others you are struggling for whatever reason with distance learning (DL) therefore you have 4 options:-
1. Give up now - joking!
2. Continue with DL & ask assistance from your ATO.
3. Continue with DL & get some extra private tuition for the subjects you are struggling with - a popular but not cheap option.
4. Stop DL & switch to attend a full-time classroom based ground school, as you haven't sat any exams yet NOW would be the time to change. Of course there is a cost to this, course fees and associated expenses, no income for 8 months and you are unlikely to get any refund from the current ATO.

Whatever you decide, particularly given your situation do not go integrated.

Semi-retired GNav, FP & M&B Instructor.
Please send me PM if required.