PDA

View Full Version : Loss of a colleague

Babyjet_dododo
16th Sep 2023, 13:12
The loss of a colleague is a painful reminder of how precious our lives are and how work does not define who we are, no matter how much they put us through or take away from us.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Just a heads up to management, hope this is a wake up call to move beyond the Debbie-Greg era and appreciate your staff. This includes not punishing crew who have taken time off to deal with the stresses of the job!

Oasis
16th Sep 2023, 13:21
Mental health management in Aviation:

Depressed? You're grounded!

Want medication? You're grounded.

So guess what the result is. Silent suffering.

Get your vitamin d levels checked and testosterone (if you're a man)

AQIS Boigu
16th Sep 2023, 13:37
Want medication? You're grounded.

Or this medication is not covered by your substandard medical plan and you have to pay out of your own pocket

Or you have reached the limit of your substandard medical plan and you have to pay out of your own pocket

pill
16th Sep 2023, 13:41
I hate that some perfectly reasonable life decisions now force me to have to suffer these bloodsucking pricks.
RIP friend.

AQIS Boigu
16th Sep 2023, 13:42
Just a heads up to management, hope this is a wake up call to move beyond the Debbie-Greg era and appreciate your staff. This includes not punishing crew who have taken time off to deal with the stresses of the job!

They didn’t care when the previous one jumped.

Taking time off means you get a call from absence management or worst case, your upgrade gets delayed

TinFoilhat2
16th Sep 2023, 20:40
May I ask what happened and which airline? I did not hear anything about this and would be interested to know what this poor soul went thru.

RIP and condolences to his friends and family.

Oddball77
17th Sep 2023, 01:12
May I ask what happened and which airline? I did not hear anything about this and would be interested to know what this poor soul went thru.

RIP and condolences to his friends and family.
https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/49-year-old-cathay-pacific-pilot-tai-hang-suicide/

mngmt mole
17th Sep 2023, 02:22
Why is there no mention of this in the SCMP....?

buggaluggs
17th Sep 2023, 04:02
Bad optics, where do you think CX spends it's advertising dollar........

mngmt mole
17th Sep 2023, 04:07
...it was rhetorical of course. Quite disgusting how the SCMP has evolved over the years. Basically now just a mouthpiece for the regime and big business. RIP to our colleague....very sad.

MENELAUS
17th Sep 2023, 11:20
Indeed. V sad. I note the toxicity of the place hasn’t improved. He must have been in a lot of pain. RIP.

controlledrest
17th Sep 2023, 21:07
Fourth loss I am aware of.

I blame GMAs and the Board. COS18 and Rostering are unsafe and unacceptable.

ZootBoot
18th Sep 2023, 03:35
Fourth loss I am aware of.

I blame GMAs and the Board. COS18 and Rostering are unsafe and unacceptable.

Hughes and Kempis too. Blood on their hands.

Not just the suicides. Also the health challenges that COVID work policies exacerbated resulting in serious illnesses being missed.

lucille
18th Sep 2023, 04:55
Any premature loss of life in such circumstances is particularly sad.

Its cynical for anyone to be weaponising this event without access to knowledge of the background and circumstances which triggered this.

One man’s unfortunate demise should not be waved around gleefully to promote your personal agendas. Have some decorum, please.

main_dog
18th Sep 2023, 05:06
One, perhaps, but several over the recent period does raise questions.

Babyjet_dododo
18th Sep 2023, 06:28
Any premature loss of life in such circumstances is particularly sad.

Its cynical for anyone to be weaponising this event without access to knowledge of the background and circumstances which triggered this.

One man’s unfortunate demise should not be waved around gleefully to promote your personal agendas. Have some decorum, please.

no one is waving around any personal agendas, it was written in his last letter that it was the stresses from work that led him to make this decision.

We can sit here all day and debate other factors involved, but that will just be speculation. He actually put pen to paper (figuratively speaking) and spelt out the reasons that drove him to his actions.

raven11
18th Sep 2023, 11:46
Truly a warning to anyone still considering work for this toxic airline.

featherman
18th Sep 2023, 22:47
CX management: You’ve nowhere to wipe the blood off your hands now. Disgraceful treatment and ethics. Simply shocking!

Gordomac
19th Sep 2023, 08:53
There needs to be a monumental shift in attitude by Managers. Focus only on the economics and dollar with no concern for human factors and not only do you increase the accident potential but sad cases like this one will become less uncommon.

We as pilots, can be contributive. It wasn't long ago that some bods, in order to "put food on the table" were extraordinarily compliant in legal but dodgy rostering practices that were alarmingly fatiguing.

Good article in this month's (September issue) of Flight International ag by GP who could have been a pilot.

Discussion too on mental health issues over on the Middle East forum.

Heartfelt condolences to those left in grief by the deeply troubled actions of our colleague..

mngmt mole
19th Sep 2023, 10:18
Would be interesting to find out of similar events at other like for like airlines over the past 10-15 years. I suspect that CX comes out very badly on such an evaluation. I can never forgive them for what they pushed Captain Bennet to do (and eventually his surviving wife also following him at a later date). His situation left a small child an orphan. CX does indeed have much blood on their hands.

HeadUpTheTailpipe
20th Sep 2023, 07:41
You can add Emirates to that list, for obvious reasons - disgraceful mistreatment/abuse of its pilots during Covid. No surprises there.

They also have blood on their hands with regards to multiple pilot suicides.

Right20deg
20th Sep 2023, 21:51
Surely it is better to get out, just walk while you can maintain your sanity. There is always an alternative.

Load Toad
21st Sep 2023, 04:04
Surely it is better to get out, just walk while you can maintain your sanity. There is always an alternative.

Someone else who doesn't understand how mental health works - are you a manager perchance?

MENELAUS
21st Sep 2023, 06:18

Patently, and sadly, it appears that there wasn’t for some of our brethren.

Right20deg
21st Sep 2023, 18:11
Patently, and sadly, it appears that there wasn’t for some of our brethren.

Back in the west, UK, there is help and support available that comes from the workforce and the managers. Open and accountable. You have this....... or perhaps not.
What happens in other industries ?

Babyjet_dododo
21st Sep 2023, 22:17
Back in the west, UK, there is help and support available that comes from the workforce and the managers. Open and accountable. You have this....... or perhaps not.
What happens in other industries ?

As mental health is recognised in western countries, unfortunately in HK it is not recognised.

CX does talk a lot about mental health but the managers have no accountability or openness. A pilot is penalised significantly if they take time off for mental health. Ramifications include:
- Harassment by Absent management team.
- Loss of promotion.
- Loss of benefits
- Meeting with middle and senior management to explain absence.
- Veiled threats of termination.
- Termination

Right20deg
22nd Sep 2023, 08:21
As mental health is recognised in western countries, unfortunately in HK it is not recognised.

CX does talk a lot about mental health but the managers have no accountability or openness. A pilot is penalised significantly if they take time off for mental health. Ramifications include:
- Harassment by Absent management team.
- Loss of promotion.
- Loss of benefits
- Meeting with middle and senior management to explain absence.
- Veiled threats of termination.
- Termination

Terrible. My heart goes out to you all.
Apply for a UK visa and leave as soon as you can. We need educated young folk over here.

Climbpowder
7th Oct 2023, 14:24
Tragedy at Cathay Pacific: When toxic culture claims lives of 2 pilots (https://www.dimsumdaily.hk/tragedy-at-cathay-pacific-when-toxic-culture-claims-lives-of-2-pilots/)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1190x917/11_9653de0598a0c03e8a641477c3ccac25f762ab9a.jpg

Silent Treatment
8th Oct 2023, 00:02
When the blanket incident happened a cross-department task force was immediately set up by the CEO to prevent similar recurrences. Two flight crew deaths later and the only thing they can do is pass the problem off to PAN and EAP, without altering anything from their end. Good luck with the recruitment campaign.

KABOY
8th Oct 2023, 02:18
When the blanket incident happened a cross-department task force was immediately set up by the CEO to prevent similar recurrences. Two flight crew deaths later and the only thing they can do is pass the problem off to PAN and EAP, without altering anything from their end. Good luck with the recruitment campaign.

And this is why large corporations start to rot from the core.

Rather than looking at it from an extremal POV, they don their myopic glasses and look to departments to manage. They do not and will not report from where the problem began, merely manage it in a true HR fashion. ie. picking up the human remains and burying it as far away from the boardroom as possible.

A quote from the WHO:

Foster a work environment in which colleagues feel comfortable talking about problems that have an impact on their ability to do their job effectively and supporting each other during difficult times

controlledrest
9th Oct 2023, 11:22

Spot on post (except I include the London suicide of a sacked CX pilot), so from what I understand it is 4 suicides at CX.

In the carpet case they could blame the staff and sack them, nice and tidy. With the suicides it is COS18 and CX management of us during COVID, totally blood on the hands of the board and the GMA (1 and 2).

veryoldchinahand
10th Oct 2023, 06:17
The 'several' ? Please advise some context.
I and other can only one in HK that is possibly caused by being an airline pilot although worldwide it seems that there may be about 15 over the past 10 years or so.

Tiger pork
10th Oct 2023, 13:21
Over the 49'ers and SAR's, the closing of DB marina and the reaffirmation of toxic culture reboot after 2014, finance cash of 2008..I can recall at least 6 who have ended their lives prematurely...and the true number will be closer to 9. Consider stress related medical related symptoms and with cancers.. even more.