PDA

View Full Version : Bare feet....

Wriggly Monkey
15th Sep 2023, 07:40
I've just been reading a news report about an emergency landing a few days ago.
it was announced to "remove shoes and get in the brace position". Why remove shoes? If there is an evacuation I'd have thought everyone being in bare feet would be a hindrance

S.o.S.
15th Sep 2023, 12:32
Hello Wriggly Monkey and welcome to the cabin of PPRuNE.

The instruction is usually "remove high heels" depending on the carrier and language, this might have been a mistake.

IBMJunkman
15th Sep 2023, 13:24
They don’t want the slides punctured by high heels.

speed13ird
15th Sep 2023, 14:36
I believe you can carry high heels down the slide and put them back on once you are clear, it wouldn't be a good idea to clutter up the exits with piles of jimmy choos

PAXboy
15th Sep 2023, 16:33
The newspaper report may not have said what the cabin crew actually said ... But the 'remove high heels' statement has been around for decades so should be well enough known unless, as SoS says, another language was involved.

I keep my shoes on and fully laced throughout a short haul flight. On long trips, I wait until we are in the cruise before taking them off. As soon as we start descent, I make sure that shoes are on and ready to run across hot tarmac or cold wet grass. You have to expect that every trip will mean you leaving the a/c with the bare minimum.

DaveReidUK
15th Sep 2023, 18:02
You have to expect that every trip will mean you leaving the a/c with the bare minimum.

Well perhaps "be prepared for the possibility", rather than "expect" :O

PAXboy
15th Sep 2023, 18:10
Thus far, in nearly 58 years of paxing, I have always been pleasantly surprised :ok: Not least because, as I get older, I have to triple check that, if having to depart the cabin at short notice, my passport and wallett are ready to be stuffed in a pocket and my phone in the other.

IBMJunkman
16th Sep 2023, 14:47
I never take my shoes off now. I learned my lesson on one transatlantic flight. Took my shoes off. At descent time I could not get my shoes back on. Luckily a flight attendant found me a shoe horn.

The newspaper report may not have said what the cabin crew actually said ... But the 'remove high heels' statement has been around for decades so should be well enough known unless, as SoS says, another language was involved.

I keep my shoes on and fully laced throughout a short haul flight. On long trips, I wait until we are in the cruise before taking them off. As soon as we start descent, I make sure that shoes are on and ready to run across hot tarmac or cold wet grass. You have to expect that every trip will mean you leaving the a/c with the bare minimum.

PAXboy
16th Sep 2023, 16:56
I always travel in soft sided shoes that are easy to slip on and strong enough for running across tarmac. Obviously, I would be carrying my hand luggage and running backwards to live stream on my phone.

Mr Mac
17th Sep 2023, 19:07
Paxboy
Deck shoes for me on long haul. Done it for years when going somewhere hot and easy off post 9/11. Short haul to Europe in winter a different matter.

Cheers
Mr Mac

UnderASouthernSky
19th Sep 2023, 13:29
If you're flying to or over somewhere hot, it always pays to have your shoes on ahead of landing in case you have to evacuate. You don't want bare feet making contact with baking asphalt.

PAXboy
19th Sep 2023, 17:34
Very much so UnderASouthernSky. I often wear small boots that are good for UK winter and South African summer - depending on which end or the middle I might have to abandon ship.