PDA

View Full Version : More EK A380s for SYD, A350 for ADL

MelbourneFlyer
12th Sep 2023, 00:35
Big news for EK this morning, SYD moving to triple-daily A380s and ADL expected to return to the network with an A350 in middle of 2024.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/emirates-a380-goes-triple-daily-to-sydney
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/emirates-a350-routes-adelaide

Also heard a rumour that QR was restarting its SYD-CBR tag before the end of this year in order to go back to double-daily SYD and circumvent its SYD flight cap.

PoppaJo
12th Sep 2023, 01:44
Happy to be corrected, but I thought QR was only allowed for one ghost flight, ie regional connection?

Considering the margins on the Europe legs at the moment, quite strange that Etihad isn’t increasing beyond its two daily flights. They have recently announced expansion to many other areas, minus down under. Back in the day it was 4 cities and double daily A380s into the majors.

MelbourneFlyer
12th Sep 2023, 01:49
Considering the margins on the Europe legs at the moment, quite strange that Etihad isn’t increasing beyond its two daily flights. They have recently announced expansion to many other areas, minus down under.

Yes, EY's A380s have started coming back but they're all on AUH-LHR, I suppose there's not only a decent whack of high-priced fares and premium travel there but it maximises utilisation compared to the long haul between AUH and SYD.

blubak
12th Sep 2023, 05:28
Yes, EY's A380s have started coming back but they're all on AUH-LHR, I suppose there's not only a decent whack of high-priced fares and premium travel there but it maximises utilisation compared to the long haul between AUH and SYD.
I think they are only on that route at the moment due to the small number they have flying, a couple more in maintenance becoming available soon may change or add to the routes they will be used on.

markis10
12th Sep 2023, 05:51
Happy to be corrected, but I thought QR was only allowed for one ghost flight, ie regional connection?.

They are allowed seven services a week in total to any city and Qatar

DanV2
12th Sep 2023, 06:06
I think EY may eventually re-introduce their A380s to SYD and MEL in due course. However, since EY lost their VA 'major partnership' status to QR, they are largely on their own to Australia as EY are competing against QR/VA and the QF/EK partnerships.

Tommy Bahama
12th Sep 2023, 06:14
Meanwhile the village idiots at virgin are flying a 737 Cains to Japan. Surely even they could have made money with the 330s/777s in the current climate.

Global Aviator
12th Sep 2023, 06:36
Love how Darwhine even gets a mention!