PDA

View Full Version : Where to study?

Number Cruncher
1st Sep 2002, 19:40
Hi all

I had my first trial lesson today and i'm totally hooked. Subject to the result of a class 1 medical, i will commence PPL training and hopefully go all the way through to CPL/ATPL.

I've decided that my favourable route is the modular one, however, where i study for exams is still rather up in the air at the moment.

Basically, in the long run my aim is to gain employment as a FO with one of the airlines.

My question is, do airlines tend to look too much into where you have trained and studied to get your licence? I have spoke to many colleges and prices vary quite significantly. The private colleges with the reputations tend to be more expensive, however, by going through these sorts of organisations do people stand more chance of gaining eventual employment with the airlines?

I live 1 mile form the Guildhall in Tower Hill and that would be absolutely ideal for studying!

Any tips or comments highly appreciated.

johnwalton
1st Sep 2002, 20:12
It depends really.

Some colleges such as Oxford, Cabair and BAE in Jerez (to a certain extent) have close ties with various airlines, and pilots who graduate from these institutions could be seen to have an advantage over other students.

Its quite difficult for anyone to give advice on studying to become a pilot at this time because, what with the current 'situation'. But if you are considering the modular route, then by the time you have your CPL/IR then there may be a flood of airlines desperate to snap you up. The other extreme is also possible. However, its most likely that in 2-3 years time there will be some demand for self-sponsored modular candidates, and in that instance candidates from the likes of Oxford would have the upper hand.

This situation of elitism that the industry is in is exactly why the likes of Multiflight, Bristol and Airmed are trying to under-cut the price of training at the more 'elite' colleges.

I'd say that you should make your decisions based on what is convenient to you, especially in the stages of your PPL.

Good luck,
John

PPRuNe Towers
2nd Sep 2002, 18:50
The left seats of the UK's jet fleet are full of people who didn't graduate from the self proclaimed elite schools. A majority never qualified when there were any substantial numbers attending full time courses. They also tend to be the people interviewing you.

They are also high enough up in the food chain not to have to do the drudgery of initial sifting of applicants. It's entirely possible that the person looking doesn't have a licence and certainly would never be invited to beanos the 'top' schools arrange. As far as they are concerned 13 months in Jerez probably means you're a bit too keen on sherry and all that time at Oxford might have been a youth detention centre. Talk to people several years into the industry for the truth regarding recruitment, err, well, like us;)

There are some superb alternatives out there.

You fully intend having a flying career lasting decades don't you?
Therefore anyone who doesn't spend a week or two of their lives visiting each prospective school for a full day is a cretin. Stop stroking those lovely glossy brochures and get down there. Sit in on a selection of lectures, briefings and a sim session at every single school. Ensure you see samples of their genuine notes and briefing documents. Insist on being allowed to talk alone to students rather than hovering sales people.

However, it is equally cretinous just to accept the word of someone who went to one of the most mentioned schools. They are human, gave them anything up to 50 grand and that is an immense psychological deterrent to honesty. We all as humans have to justify our actions and internally reinforce our decisions - one prime way is to tell others about it.

Companies want bright, competent, well qualified and well adjusted individuals they know their pilots can bear to spend a long day with. That's it. So:

Read the forum voraciously, especially the stuff before you joined.

Develop your own short list of the schools that get talked about and arrange proper visits.

Come to a PPRuNe seminar - in case some of you haven't done the sums yet we subsidise you to attend. Did you get that? Aviation professionals from all over the world contribute to put something back into the industry. Unvarnished truth guaranteed because those that give the money insist on it.

Rob

Gin Slinger
2nd Sep 2002, 20:47
If you live so close to LGU, you'd be bloody silly not to do your ATPLs there.

I don't know what your personal circumstances are, but the opportunity to save 6 months of away living expenses is just too good to turn down.

Failing that, do distance learning like I am. I've just knocked out 2 progress tests whilst enjoying a bottle of Newcastle Brown - where else can you do that?
:p ;)

foghorn
3rd Sep 2002, 08:41
Gin Slinger,

I like your style! I got 14 first time ATPL passes by the distance learning, lager and curry method...

...and I'd recommend it to anyone.

cheers!
foggy.