PDA

View Full Version : Passenger question

danielsirrom
9th Sep 2023, 15:51
I flew into Corfu last Wednesday with Jet2 from Birmingham. As we prepared to leave I could see on FR24 that the Jet2 flight from Manchester to Corfu took off at about the same time (obviously a longer flight) when we arrived at Corfu the Manchester passengers were ahead of us waiting for passport control. As I'm sad I looked at replay on FR24 and the Manchester flight was behind us as we approached Corfu. We descended slowly and as our flight decelerated the Manchester flight kept going over the top of us then descended more quickly over the west of Corfu, hung a left and landed. We meandered down the east of Corfu, took a right and landed about 7 minutes after the Manchester flight. Is there any reason they would be brought in so much more quickly. Our flight time was 3 hours 11 minutes, it's often done in 2hours 50. Just interested, that's all!

PAXboy
9th Sep 2023, 18:02
Different flight plans?
Different timed landing slots?
Different cruise and descent SOPs?

FUMR
9th Sep 2023, 21:59
I see what you mean. Exactly same type and company (i.e. not that one of them was an ACMI company flying for EXS). I also noted that after the split the MAN flight came down the west side and the BHX flight down the east side of the island. Of course ATC may have had reasons which we are not party to just watching it on FR24. I also know from my past that there was often friendly rivalry between crews to see who could get in (or out) first. What FR24 shows is that the MAN flight kept their speed up longer than yours did. Again that may have been dictated by ATC. Just don't know.

danielsirrom
10th Sep 2023, 04:27
I see what you mean. Exactly same type and company (i.e. not that one of them was an ACMI company flying for EXS). I also noted that after the split the MAN flight came down the west side and the BHX flight down the east side of the island. Of course ATC may have had reasons which we are not party to just watching it on FR24. I also know from my past that there was often friendly rivalry between crews to see who could get in (or out) first. What FR24 shows is that the MAN flight kept their speed up longer than yours did. Again that may have been dictated by ATC. Just don't know.

I watch FR24 a fair bit and have never seen something similar before. Did you notice the private jet that came in behind the Manchester flight too ahead of the Birmingham flight!? Funnily enough the return flight to Brum got away way ahead of the Manchester flight!

S.o.S.
10th Sep 2023, 09:49
Thank you for your question danielsirrom, not one we have had before - or not in my aging memory.

Another thought occurred: If 'A' was ready for Push early and given an unexpectedly early departure, they might have needed to 'wait' a couple of minutes for their landing slot after 'B'. At this time of the year, everything is very crowded. However, with many flights being canx by carriers due to staffing problems, an earlier slot might be available.

Asturias56
10th Sep 2023, 11:55
perhaps someone said "please" to ATC

redsnail
10th Sep 2023, 16:45
Landing slots may have come into it. Different cost indexes can influence the speed flown. ATC may have put a speed restriction on as well to enable descents. Corfu is a bunfight at the best of times. Limited push back tugs etc.
Just guessing :)