PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL(H) to ATPL(A) Conversion questions.

IHateTheSR71
6th Sep 2023, 18:14
Good day all,
Apologies if I'm posting in the incorrect forum.

I have some questions I would like to ask about the conversion as the title suggests: Helicopter to Fixed wing, EASA ATPL Conversion.
I have done some research of my own, I am asking here for some more information with people whom presumably have experience.

1. Is it possible to convert from Helicopter to Fixed wing? If so, what are the requirements?

2. Will the hours from a Multi-engine helicopter still be valid? Especially when applying for jobs?

Thank you in advance!

212man
6th Sep 2023, 21:39
Clearly you have not done any research! So what’s your question?

IHateTheSR71
6th Sep 2023, 22:01
Clearly you have not done any research! So what’s your question?
Well, I have managed to find conversion courses but it would be great if I could possibly have something from an official EASA source about converting licenses, since I'm not managing to find much.

However, I’m more curious about the hours. My questions If I fly on a helicopters (especially multi-engined ones), will my hours still be valid for (commercial) fixed wing?

Chauderon
7th Sep 2023, 01:10
Good day all,
Apologies if I'm posting in the incorrect forum.

I have some questions I would like to ask about the conversion as the title suggests: Helicopter to Fixed wing, EASA ATPL Conversion.
I have done some research of my own, I am asking here for some more information with people whom presumably have experience.

1. Is it possible to convert from Helicopter to Fixed wing? If so, what are the requirements?

2. Will the hours from a Multi-engine helicopter still be valid? Especially when applying for jobs?

Thank you in advance!

In terms of the hours, you can have thousands of hours of NVG, mountains, USL, fire fighting, winching, ship landing, emergency handling, etc - and these will count for almost nothing in the FW world in terms of employment. However, you are a better pilot for the experience and the cream rises to the top. If you go for it, you’ll get to where you aspire and will earn more for doing it.

I’m sure there’s a process, but I don’t know it. Good luck.

HeliMannUK
7th Sep 2023, 04:35
EASA Part FCL
Subpart F
Section 2
FCL.510.A

Any crew license questions always check the EASA Part FCL.

You need to sit the relevant exams and you will be credited upto 50% of the flight time required, 750 hours.

I'm guessing you are wanting to query the 50% bit.

paco
7th Sep 2023, 07:25
5 exams for the bridging course.
They will be interested in your instrument time but not much else.

605carsten
7th Sep 2023, 07:27
Just done it the other way… A to H myself.
Did the ATPL-bridge course theory with Bristol, its only less than half the subjects (Category specific ones) needed than full 13/14 subjects. As I fly full time FW I went modular so did PPL course and checkride, followed by time building and now due to crediting of hours am finishing off my CPL(H) as you can start CPL course with less total time in the “new” category.
All theory gets covered by the ATPL stuff so just get stuck into the practical training.

But download the FCL as advised.. many of the credits/breaks you get converting from FW to RW and vice versa are listed there, but need to found as they are hidden in last sentences within paragraphs etc..

605carsten
7th Sep 2023, 07:44
To answer your other question, no, the multi engine helicopter time will not count for anything in the FW world.. there is very little cross-cultural understanding of each others worlds as not many have done both, unless its on a multi crew chopper on instruments which may give you an advantage at an interview but definitely during IR training and your MCC course..

Do you actually hold a full ATPL or just a frozen which them fancy cadets call a CPL with ATPL theory done? This will dictate hours needed to convert also..