PDA

View Full Version : Multi crew restriction on Class 1 medical

crabsticks
6th Sep 2023, 10:53
This is a follow-up to my previous post.

CASA granted me a Class 1 medical certificate with a multi-crew restriction, stating, “Holder can fly as or with a qualified co-pilot.”

My Class 2 certificate remains unrestricted, enabling me to continue certain commercial operations like flight instruction.

What are the prospects of securing an airline job with this restriction? Do airline interviews consider medical conditions alongside experience, knowledge, and skills?

Thank you! 🦀

Gordomac
23rd Sep 2023, 09:34
Crabsticks ; Most airlines are very specific and actually state "unrestricted" Class one Medical at the application stage. An OML is, sadly, a "restriction". Many overseas operators will then subject you to a pre-joining medical, irrespective of your class one cert. Then, the local CAA medical , unrestricted, is issued, after examination.

It calms down, a bit, after that, once you are employed and develop a condition with most airlines handling conditions resulting an OML quite well and considerately.

Always worth a try though.

crabsticks
24th Sep 2023, 04:44
Crabsticks ; Most airlines are very specific and actually state "unrestricted" Class one Medical at the application stage. An OML is, sadly, a "restriction". Many overseas operators will then subject you to a pre-joining medical, irrespective of your class one cert. Then, the local CAA medical , unrestricted, is issued, after examination.

It calms down, a bit, after that, once you are employed and develop a condition with most airlines handling conditions resulting an OML quite well and considerately.

Always worth a try though.

Ok, that was my fear. A few Australian carriers like Alliance, Rex and Qlink simply ask for a Class 1 medical and do not mention restrictions at all.

CASA has literally followed the CAA in applying an OML for my case.