PDA

View Full Version : Commuting from Australia to work for Atlas

mmanning
5th Sep 2023, 03:10
Wondering if there is anyone working for Atlas Air who commutes from Australia and what the culture and training is like at Atlas?

Gnadenburg
5th Sep 2023, 15:25
I was looking forward to a detailed responses as I looked at the job and didn’t think even a semi-commute could work. I now know more pilots who’ve left Atlas due what they feel were misrepresented commuting options versus the number still there.

Climb150
5th Sep 2023, 15:51
Atlas never offered a commuting contract. Positive space from home to your base meant your home address in the USA. Not your address in Australia.

Anyone who thought commuting from Australia to work for Atlas was a good idea have probably changed their mind by now. I thought that was very clear.

There are always exceptions and a few people do commute but the time zone changes are brutal and they don't go home every month from what I'm told.

Before anyone shouts me down, I used to work there.

LostWanderer
5th Sep 2023, 20:40
Commuting to the US to work for Atlas? Wow. I can't believe anyone would even think about doing that. Probably not the most stable job out there either as cargo demand continues to decline as fast as it is doing so. When you have UPS on the verge of possible furloughs and relatively senior FedEx pilots jumping ship to DL/UA, could be some interesting times ahead.

Capn Rex Havoc
6th Sep 2023, 13:41
LOSTW

Commuting to the US to work for Atlas? Wow. I can't believe anyone would even think about doing that. Probably not the most stable job out there either as cargo demand continues to decline as fast as it is doing so. When you have UPS on the verge of possible furloughs and relatively senior FedEx pilots jumping ship to DL/UA, could be some interesting times ahead.

I know quite a few blokes who are doin exactly that with Atlas. They are making it work no problem. It is not going to suit every one.
heaps of guys are commuting with National, and loving it.

I have reviewed your posts since 2018. Every single post of yours is gloom and doom and pessimism. You have been continually wrong at every turn. You were predicting the demise of the E3 since 2018.
There is no sign of a cargo bust. My company has just acquired 2 more 747s. Kalitta have just acquired 17 more 777s and are screaming for pilots. UPS has had an amazing pay raise in the last 12 months. Putin is continuing to provide lucrative business for defence contractors.

I have mates in Spirit who are loving the flying, the roster and the pay, They are on an E3 (not commuting from Oz obviously).

So, my advice is, for those who are game, by all means come on over to the US. It is better than Aus aviation in every single metric.

VHOED191006
6th Sep 2023, 13:46
It would be a unique thing to say about your work life.

"Where do you work?"
"In the US."
"Ok. Where do you live?"
"Australia."

Lookleft
6th Sep 2023, 23:15
There is no sign of a cargo bust.

Then why is Fedex laying off staff?

​​​​​​​https://www.reuters.com/business/fedex-cut-officer-director-team-part-larger-staff-reduction-2023-02-01/

Deano969
7th Sep 2023, 03:22
Then why is Fedex laying off staff?

https://www.reuters.com/business/fedex-cut-officer-director-team-part-larger-staff-reduction-2023-02-01/
That article is over 6 months old and 2% reduction of mainly senior management

Lookleft
7th Sep 2023, 03:50
Well you just want to be absolutely certain that when the inevitable down cycle happens that you have stashed the cash and not blown it all on stuff.

Trevor the lover
7th Sep 2023, 08:03
Onya Lookleft - even when your point regarding layoffs is off the mark, you can still dig out something negative to say.

Rex Havoc is right - I know guys doing 2 weeks on, 2 off and commuting home. It's real, its happening. Not what I would want to do myself, but Rex is right, it is possible

Mr Mossberg
7th Sep 2023, 11:04
UPS has had an amazing pay raise in the last 12 months.

Payrises are the case, but there is talk of furlough at UPS, probably won't happen after the last fulough episode, but it's being talked about.

There is a back off in freight, word is lighter loads on pax aircraft allow more freight in the belly, less on FedEx and UPS.

umop apisdn
7th Sep 2023, 13:56
I wouldn't subject myself to a domestic commute that's 45 minutes long, 20 flights a day on multiple airlines. Commuting from the other side of the planet would be nasty. The only thing I could really say in it's defense is that you only do it once a month ideally, as opposed to multiple times a month.

I do have some friends at Atlas that commute from Australia.

TinFoilhat2
7th Sep 2023, 19:23
LOSTW

I know quite a few blokes who are doin exactly that with Atlas. They are making it work no problem. It is not going to suit every one.
heaps of guys are commuting with National, and loving it.

I have reviewed your posts since 2018. Every single post of yours is gloom and doom and pessimism. You have been continually wrong at every turn. You were predicting the demise of the E3 since 2018.
There is no sign of a cargo bust. My company has just acquired 2 more 747s. Kalitta have just acquired 17 more 777s and are screaming for pilots. UPS has had an amazing pay raise in the last 12 months. Putin is continuing to provide lucrative business for defence contractors.

I have mates in Spirit who are loving the flying, the roster and the pay, They are on an E3 (not commuting from Oz obviously).

So, my advice is, for those who are game, by all means come on over to the US. It is better than Aus aviation in every single metric.

National offers a guaranteed paid for ticket to get to work and back, Atlas does not with regards to overseas commuting from Australia. Atlas only offers gateway travel from a US city, huge difference compared to home basing.

Commuting from Australia for ATLAS is just mental.

ZebraFlyer
11th Sep 2023, 13:16
I'm doing it temporarily before bringing young family over. It's not really all that hard, you do need to think outside the box sometimes. With respect to them I think the older guys find it a lot tougher than the relatively younger ones. West coast/Honolulu, between jumpseating on company metal, other freighter airlines, UA/DL/AA or buying a discounted ticket on QF/JQ I've never been home a day later than planned nor bought a confirmed seat. Haven't had to consider coming home via Korea/Japan/Hong Kong from Anchorage but those are options also. I've had a harder time getting from Sydney to Melbourne after crossing the Pacific sometimes! It's allowed us to sort out affairs at home with no rush. Now I've seen it I'd be okay to do it again if we need to be back in Australia for a while.

Culture is overall positive. A lot of angst around the USA big boys getting massive pay increases that we aren't, increasing attrition as a result. That's not an option for us so I don't let it bother me. Everyone is super chill. 747 is a dream if a little noisy.

Training was not difficult but it was lengthy. I had a few delays involving going home, but the norm is now around 3.5 months in a row in Miami including your ATP course. A lot of the guys falling over during progress checks or actual checks typically didn't have any or much jet/multi crew time - struggled with using the CDU, flight directors, understanding FMAs etc.

I'm a little over a year here and really happy with my choice, couldn't fathom going back to 4 sector days up and down the east coast, but we all like different things. Feel free to private message.