PDA

View Full Version : What is a validation and what is not? An Aussie Expat question.

Sheep Guts
1st Sep 2002, 17:26
1.I heard many versions of this. Is there a concrete rule, please dont send me to a website either? If persay, you get a USATP off a and Australian Comercial, then work overseas on that ticket, return to Australia and do a conversion exam for an AUSTRALIAN ATPL.
2. Is that a validation? Remembering in Australia there is no flight test for ATPL.

3. I am now currently back overseas flying off my USATP soon to do a foreign ATP off that, is that a validation?

4. For those guys in Cathay that fly on a Hong Kong licence for that to be current does your Aussie licence need to be current, including instrument ratings ?

All my licences and knowing which ones to keep current do puzzle me occasionally.:rolleyes:

5. And are validations really to be frowned upon, when submitting resumes and apps. etc.?

Regards
Sheep

compressor stall
1st Sep 2002, 19:34
G'Day mate,

On pilotstaffcv.com there is a box asking if your Aussie ATPL is based on coversions from another country's. Presumably there is one employer out there who frowns on the trend a little while ago of running off to the US for a week to get their ATPL and converting back.

Cheers

greybeard
2nd Sep 2002, 03:51
Just to muddy the waters!

In France, had a "Validation", had to have a current Aust ATPL, current IR when arriving and attend an Airlaw Course. We were unique in having a rare approval to renew the IR in an "F" registered A/C with an Aussie CC.
In Belgium, "Validation" on the same basis, but no Airlaw, did the Sim ride, local check in A/C etc, BUT had to go to Aust to do a renewal in a B-58 or similar each year.
In Singapore have a "Full" ATPL but issued on the basis of the Aust ATPL with Airlaw exam.
This is for Captains, new F/Os seem to need the Singapore ATPL even with another on if hired as an F/O???

You do what you are required to do, the rules will be "appropritae" to the "circumstances" as they say.

:p

Sheep Guts
2nd Sep 2002, 04:17
Thanks Guys,

Stallie- Yes I have infact noticed this on Staffcv namely the Virgin app.

BIK - Thank you very much Sir, very informative indeed, man you have alot info up there,how do you keep it in:D .

With regards to more info, yes I did an USATP with the requirements under FAR 61. Which was at the time the following.

1. Foreign ICAO Commercial
2. Foriegn Command Instrument Rating Multi-Engine(Current)
3. 1500 total time (plus a component of this crosscountry)
4. 100 night total

I did the written and the Flight Test.
My Licence was issued, without any restrictions and I have worked on that Licence for a number of years.

I returned to Australia last year and did a Converison exam and got I believe a stand alone licence because I had a current Aussie MCIR. The environs after Sept. 11th forced me back O/S again. Whilst I was in Australia last January I applied for a New Zealand ATPL on the strength of my Aussie I believe this is a validation under the New Trans Tasman Agreement as it is stamped on the back. For the KIWI Licence no exam or flight test was done, just a straight conversion.

I intend doing a Carribean conversion soon based on my USATP which is current and I have had an intrument 6month check ride in April.
Thanks for in depth study of my case BIK you have cleared it up for me.

Greybeard,

Looks like I will not have to do the same, and soon renew my Aussie intstrument rating , as my USATP is standalone.

Thanks to all the responses.