PDA

View Full Version : Flying in the Congo

neils
1st Sep 2002, 17:16
Been asked to fly for a diamond mine in the Congo,anyone with info on the subject?

Wireless
1st Sep 2002, 18:29
Hey Neils,

Are you from Sleaford in Lincolnshire, England? I'm from there as well (Osbournby actually).

Cheers, Bill:)

latetonite
1st Sep 2002, 18:34
before you go make sure the mine is In the Congo, not south of the border....

neils
2nd Sep 2002, 08:44
Yes Wireless,Sleaford Lincs, mins few from you.
Instructing out of P/Bro Sibson.
Latetonite,I will check!

JJflyer
2nd Sep 2002, 09:24
2 Congos hang around Western Africa... I presume you mean DRC.

Ever been to Africa? You are up for a surprise:D

What type of aircraft would you be flying ?

Anyways. If you look at the African forum and read some of the archived posts, you will get a pretty good idea what you are getting into.

Gunship
2nd Sep 2002, 10:10
Do your homework before you go .. especially to Congo .. Search on PPRUNE - there are very valuable information on "old" posts.

AMEX
2nd Sep 2002, 11:17
DRC:rolleyes: Now that's funny but there is nothing I miss about it.
Be careful who you work for, make sure you get paid and have a return ticket in your back pocket (not in the boss's draw as it is often the case).
If you don't get paid the first month, chances are you will never see a penny, despite the billions of excuses and promises you will be given.
I am not saying it is the case but again many employer will tell you how they respect rules and regulations but bear in mind that in Africa there isn't such a thing (those who know will see what I mean). Overloading is standard.

Saying that you could very well work for someone who will give lots of cash (usually there is a reason but that's you to assess the situation).
Flying will be to say the least, very interesting and most of all you will meet to some great guys that I am sure, you will be calling friends even once back in Europe flying the 74.

Good Luck !! And well done for landing a job

neils
3rd Sep 2002, 17:50
JJflyer,I will find out and let you know as soon as poss
Mobotu ,Im sorry that I missed your reply ,I would appreciate any gen.I will call my cotact asap.

Mobotu
3rd Sep 2002, 21:58
Neils - I'm responding on the forum as your not responding to my messages - I hope this is ok??? It might also be of interest to those who have ever wondered..............

DISCLAIMER - The following is IMHO - My own opinion for computer virgins - So don't bother flamming me with comments on what I say, rather take the more intelligent approach and tell others of your experience)

Neils to be totally honest - Congo is not for the fainthearted. Nothing is what you consider 'Normal' and everything is not what it seems. If you seek adventure and are preparred to pay the ultimate price then don't hesitate and come over.

Congo is a disease, once infected, there is no known cure. I know others like myself who came for a short stint and spent a lifetime and NEVER regretted it! There are some who have not even managed more than a few hours of 'Friendly negotiation' with the inhabitants of this unrulely jungle paradise and high tailed it out on the same aircraft they arrived in.

In my time here I've personally flown everything from Boeing's to Cessna's and been paid $1000 an hour and a big fat nothing for the privelidge, been shot at in the air and congratulated on the ground, spent a night or two in prison, and others in the inter-continental's VIP suite, spent many nights alone and many well......(deleted), AND I would not trade it for anything!

Overall it takes a certain kind of person to handle both physically and mentally the stresses involved in working in a country such as this. If you think your up to the challenge then I wish you all the best and I hope all goes well.

On the little info you have given me - I can already give a response -
(Minning Company) Humm - The only one I know currently operating aircraft using expat pilots is Forrest in Lumbumbashi. Fantastic operation with Canadair 601, HS-125, Kingair 100, Aztec..... excellent maintenance (one of best in Africa - 'Better standard than RSA' and that from a SA DCA inspector) flying as far as Europe, no problems with salary, conditions and Lum is a nice place to live.:cool:

4granted
4th Sep 2002, 08:56
Hey Mobut sese ....
Good one and keep up the pro advise. Me , like you and a few privelidged others that I know have also been carring the Virus that the Congo gave me many moons ago when I touched down in Kin.
Its a disease I carry with pride.
Any opertunity to fly there and lead some sort of life is well worth it. Now stuck in Eurodisneyland(sterile) and am a bit home sick must say...
later yall
:rolleyes:

rick1128
5th Sep 2002, 03:10
Spent a year in Angola. Got out in one piece. You will have to be flexible and have an unlimited sense of humor. You will need it. It's interesting flying. In some places you would be better off landing on a dirt strip than the runway. As for weights, a good operator is a god send. 10, 20 30% overload is more the rule than the exception.

One of the best 'gifts' I found was aviation magazines in english. Barring those any magazines in english, especially american.

Good luck and enjoy.

south coast
9th Sep 2002, 09:05
hey there 4....

well there neils....all very interesting here in the congo, i have been here for almost 2 years now, flying for the un, which is slightly different to what you will be doing, but never the less, this place is a billion miles away from england....i to am english and you have to understand that logical and 1st world way of thinking is not laways used or tollerated here....nothing happens quickly and patience is a real virtue...a real adventure and something that you will look back on fondly for the rest of your life...even though at the time you may think,'what the hell am i doing here and WHY!'...but real experience!

i am curious to hear how you managed to get such a job from the uk...?

4 granted...hows it going...you know the doctor is back in the land of the needy....somewhere near the bulge....

regards

Mobotu
27th Sep 2002, 22:57
Neils just to update you if you have not already left the UK.

As you have not confirmed the operator (for obvious reasons) I can update you that in fact Forrest is looking for pilots at the moment. They need captains for the Aztec, Kingair, HS-125 and Challenger as many pilots are moving on to bigger and better things.

I gave them my usual "I'll have to think about it" which means NO - as I am too busy flying Boeing's in Kinshasa for the moment.

Hope this helps:rolleyes:

flyboy2
28th Sep 2002, 05:37
Please post the address / e-mail for Forrest in Lum