PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew training 1940 onwards.

RogerRB
31st Aug 2023, 19:42
I am writing the history of a W.W.2 Lancaster rear-gunner;.He was at No 1- ACRC Regents Park in 1943; 'passing out' from Regents Park he went to an Initial Training Wing.
Part of the training @ Regents Park were Aptitude Tests..
My question is- Did the Aptitude Test define his future role in the RAF or would that have happened at the I.T.W.?

Innominate
1st Sep 2023, 15:05
My understanding is that ACRC was primarily the introduction to service life - inoculations, drill, PT etc. - while ITWs covered more aircrew-specific topics such as aircraft recognition, plus lots more drill and PT. By 1943 I think people were being streamed early on: I've seen Aircrew Candidate Selection Boards in people's service records and booklets with titles like "You are going to be a Pilot/Navigator/Air Bomber". The selection boards may have been held at ACRC, but from memory there were several around the country, and chaps' trade was shown on entry as "Aircraft Hand General Duties/u/t pilot [etc.]" which suggests the selection had already been made - equally, the aptitude tests could have been used to check the recommendations made by the selection boards..

Bergerie1
1st Sep 2023, 16:47
Try this thread:-
https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/329990-gaining-r-f-pilots-brevet-ww-ii.html?highlight=danny42

RogerRB
1st Sep 2023, 18:45
Thank you,

That helps a lot.....