PDA

View Full Version : FTC, Loss of JAA Approval?

Pistol Pete
1st Sep 2002, 15:44
Hi all

A little while ago it was reported in the forums that FTC in South Africa had lost its JAA approval and or its accomodation.

Can anyone shed anymore light on this?

Thanks

African Drunk
1st Sep 2002, 21:47
I have been told by a mate out their that they are stopping JAR CPL training. I believe it could be a disagreement with Atlantic whoes approval they piggy-back. As far as I know JAR PPL/IMC/FI are still going. Are you thinking of going there?

Pistol Pete
2nd Sep 2002, 00:03
Hi African Drunk

Ja, it is on my shortlist of places to go. Bummer about the JAR CPL thing. I am a Saffer who has been in the UK for 3 years now and would like to go and train back in SA.

FTC was a one stop shop for me to do everything at except the CPL now.

I will watch and see what happens.

I am looking for a school that can offer me Night and IMC ratings within a 150 hour stuctured hour building programme and then the ATPL written exams in a residential setting and then the CPL and IR. I know someone who was at FTC and they had some fantastic cross-country navex's like Rand - Bloem - CPT - George - PMB or durbs and back to Rand in 2 days. What fun that would be.

I wish there was a school like that in Cape Town :)

Brgrds

Pete

African Drunk
2nd Sep 2002, 13:43
Pete

A SA CPL/H who I know in Cape Town tells me one of the schools out their is going for JAR approval and also 43 air school, it would be nicer than Transvaal. I am originally from durbs but have done most training in UK.

You could always do hour building on a SA PPL with a conversion it would be cheaper at a cape school than FTC or UK. For ground school talk to Alex Whittingham at Bristol Groundschool I went there and passed most first time. It's not residential but alot of residential school's seem to go OTT on irrelevant stuff, also lots of fellow colonials.

Don't discount FTC I am told all a/c are new and instruction is apparently quite good. My friend there says best to talk to Jay the JAR manger directly about flying and Oliver Boulet about ground school. Also back a few months on this forum there were some people who had done courses there suggest you do a search to see what they say.

best of luck