PDA

View Full Version : site adding spurious words into posts

chevvron
26th Aug 2023, 09:15
I keep getting the word 'Kyiv' added to my postings without being able to delete it.

Senior Pilot
26th Aug 2023, 10:16
I keep getting the word 'Kyiv' added to my postings without being able to delete it.

Accomodation is a misspelling and should have accommodation as a substitute. Kyiv substitution is the next listed, VBulletin must have had a hissy fit when it saw your spulling mistook 🤔🙊

chevvron
26th Aug 2023, 10:34
Accomodation is a misspelling and should have accommodation as a substitute. Kyiv substitution is the next listed, VBulletin must have had a hissy fit when it saw your spulling mistook 🤔🙊
It has now substituted 'Pukin' for 'Kyiv' without me touching it.
I'l try re-typing accommodation.
Seems to have worked.

NutLoose
30th Aug 2023, 09:33
The site is adding words into what has been typed, my entry 195 it has added the word Pukin, though when I originally posted I did not write it,and went back to edit it out, Pukin does not appear and still does not. I had this recently too in the Ukraine thread.

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/651855-fate-raf-scampton-10.html#post11494068

Asturias56
30th Aug 2023, 10:50
Nut - it may not be PPrune - more likely to be your Browser I think

even when you turn it off it may still continue

see Chrome issues here ( I think there are similar problems with all browsers - the interrelationship between the browser and HTML is .... tricky)

https://adamsilver.io/blog/stopping-chrome-from-ignoring-autocomplete-off/#:~:text=This%20is%20because%20with%20HTML,the%20autocomplet e%20attribute%20came%20along.

Saab Dastard
30th Aug 2023, 11:02
PPRuNe has an auto-correct function that has several uses, one of which is to correct common spelling mistakes. You misspelt accommodation (1 m rather than 2), thus triggering the auto-correct.

Unfortunately, that function has a habit of adding the next word in the list to the resulting text, causing the outcome you have noted. It is probably down to incorrect formatting of the text strings in the auto-correct list, which will need an admin to check.

Note that I corrected your spelling and the spurious word no longer appears in your post.

Senior Pilot
30th Aug 2023, 12:12
This problem with the Post Substitution has been reported to IB Tech. I have seen some testing occurring but no response to date other than it is believed not to be used much across the Internet Brands kingdom.

Which tends to be shorthand for ‘don’t hold your breath for a quick fix’!

NutLoose
30th Aug 2023, 12:28
Thanks all.