PDA

View Full Version : Pilots and Female Siblings

5 Left & Right
1st Sep 2002, 11:38
I'm a pilot with 2 female children. My Instructor had 4 girls. Various work colleges (pilots) all have mostly girls.

Is it something in the avgas fumes?

Or perhaps some kind of solar radiation killing the boy sperms?

Does anyone know if this is more than just a co-incedence?

Serious now....

alidad
1st Sep 2002, 16:11
Daughters are god's way of paying back boy pilots for all the nasty things they did to other men's daughter's when they were single and fancy free. ;)

Capt Claret
1st Sep 2002, 23:31
5 L&R,

I worked some time ago with a female radio tech and recall having a conversation with her on this very subject, progeny not sibblings. :D

All of her colleagues, as best I can remember, had female off- spring. The reason was put down to so much time spent in a radar environment. I'm not too sure if it was Wx radar, terminal radar, or both, that is thought to render the male sperm less successful in the quest for fertilisation.

Chimbu chuckles
2nd Sep 2002, 01:32
A quick think about my the ratio of boys to girls in my peer group shows a heavy preponderance of girls.

We are producing a veritable smorgosboard for the current male teen youth:(

However my father, who's career in flying started in 1950, had 3 boys/1 girl...my mothers brother who has never been flying other than as occassional pax had 4 girls...my fathers brother had 3 girls.

Oh to be 20 again:D

Chuck.

5 Left & Right
2nd Sep 2002, 01:58
I stand corrected progeny not siblings - Thanks

5 L&R

Capt Snooze
2nd Sep 2002, 02:13
Reduced pressure environment!

Similar anecdotal evidence has professional divers with male offspring.

Snooze :) :)

greybeard
2nd Sep 2002, 03:35
For alidad.

Well said indeed, they are the most expensive items on the budget from day one until in my case 30+++, BUT I wasn't bad in my youth????

:p

*Lancer*
2nd Sep 2002, 04:09
Apparently there has been some research into the effects of solar radiation... in the jet age, crew are more likely to end up with girls!

Lancer

Stiff Under Carriage
2nd Sep 2002, 06:30
Sorry guys. Has got nothing to do with avgas, radar enviroments, its actually pressure changes.

Closest was Capt Snooze.

Read an article few years back, saying that people involved in regular pressure changes, i.e, scuba divers and pilots are more LIKELY to have female siblings. Though of course this does not always occur.

As for scuba divers more LIKELY having male siblings I don't know, but I could be wrong.

Though it does all have to do with pressure.

SU/C

#1AHRS
2nd Sep 2002, 06:57
Mine are all daughters and a lot of my colleagues have the same!

Toodogs
2nd Sep 2002, 07:10
Yep, two girls.
We stopped there for fear of what will happen when they turn 13!

desertsager
2nd Sep 2002, 07:18
Luck of the draw I reckon...I have one of each :) but I have one driver mate with three boys and another has four gals....all part of the lucky dip.:confused:

U2
2nd Sep 2002, 08:39
I remember watching a documentary on a similar issue. The study was conducted on a temperature basis. It was thought that the girlfriend/wives of men who worked in hot environments (mines, steel factory etc) were more likely have boys. However, they found no convincing evidence.

Just had a look at the Oz bureau of stats. and a population chart shows that the age goups 0 to 10 that there are slightly more boys than girls.

A friend of mine has 19,000 hours and his wife was a commercial pilot. They have 2 boys!

U2

Capt Claret
2nd Sep 2002, 09:09
Stiff Undercarriage,

If it's a pressure thing, how would that explain the aparrent preponderance of female children to radio techs?

5 Left & Right
2nd Sep 2002, 10:34
U2

Your friend with 19,000hrs and a wife with a CPL blows everyones theory!

Perhaps it is just the luck of the draw.

Maybe they were on holiday when the boys were concieved!

Cheers
5 L&R

U2

Your friend with 19,000hrs and a wife with a CPL blows everyone's theory out of the water.

Were they on holiday when the boys were concieved?!

Perhaps it is just the luck of the draw.

DOH!

The Bionic Vapour Boy
2nd Sep 2002, 13:14
So if it IS a pressure thing, then if the child is conceived whilst gaining your member**** in the milehigh club, then it'll more than likely be a girl :confused: :confused:

fruitloop
2nd Sep 2002, 20:09
I remember going to a cave diver (fresh-water you animals) re-union and no male children observed.
Question for all. How many Olympic male swimmers(with-in the last 20 years) have male children ??

Cheers

Nipper
3rd Sep 2002, 01:51
Pilot's in the Defence Forces tend to sire female offspring.

I've got three boys :confused:

Perhaps it had something to do with flying flingwing, things getting stirred instead of shaken, or that I'm a non-conformist. However with all the other pilot's producing girls my boys will be right!!!!:D

TheNightOwl
3rd Sep 2002, 06:10
Nothing so esoteric as some of the foregoing explanations, old son, merely another example of the innate laziness of pilots, i.e. you have the pattern in front of you!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.:D :D

Stiff Under Carriage
3rd Sep 2002, 11:08
Capt Claret,

To answer your question.

Its probably the same reason to why U2 claims its temperature for boys.

I don't know.

Obviously there are mixed stats here from different sources. I too know a pilot with 3 boys.

I am now more open to this as it appears that we all have different thoughts, mine included. Maybe it is just pot luck or bad luck for that matter.

SU/C:(

VneII
3rd Sep 2002, 16:42
S U/C I think you are the closest. To the best of my recolection it's not actually pressure changes but time spent at different pressures.

I remember seeing a doco on the ABC some years ago about the majority of airline pilot offspring being female due to the extented periods spent at high altitude. This was described as being results of an actual study on the bodies reaction to prolonged effects of low pressure. This was also raised during Human Performance and biology issues at uni. Although divers were never mentioned I guess it would make sence that high pressure would produce the opposite effect and they would have boys.

Conclusion: the only thing more expensive and time consuming than flying training and a career in aviation is children .... so choose your poison.

Stiff Under Carriage
3rd Sep 2002, 23:21
Thank you VneII,

That would also make sense with Capt Snooze. I too must have seen the doc, though to long ago too remember exact details.

SU/C:)

goilala mero
4th Sep 2002, 08:23
:cool:
I spent the early years of my working life in the nz navy as a greenie(weopons electrical branch)working around radar a lot ,
most of my flying has been in png using HF all day.................................all girls !!!!!!!!

Throtlemonkey
4th Sep 2002, 09:08
Could be the added solar/cosmic radiation that occurs in the flight levels (more so during sun spot activity) damaging the y chromazone (sic). good question for Doctor Karl on JJJ tomorrow.

Foyl
4th Sep 2002, 12:05
MAYBE it's just nature's subtle way of adjusting the present gender imbalance amongst pilots? ;) :D :p

Huron Topp
5th Sep 2002, 15:56
Have 3 girls myself. On the other hand, my dad (ex-RCAF Argus driver; AC for 35 years) had 2 boys. Swore he didn't have a girl in him!:D

The pressure thing is an interesting thought. However...my brother-in-law is a professional diver...with 7 girls!!!:eek:

imabell
5th Sep 2002, 23:44
ever since i had my tubes chopped i haven't been able to have any kids boys or girls, no matter how often or hard i try.:cool:

my father was an airline pilot, two girls and a boy.
my uncle was an airline pilot, two boys.
my cousin is an airline pilot, a girl and a boy.
my other cousin was an airline pilot, a girl and a boy.

me, zip. ;)

I Fly
8th Sep 2002, 00:30
Just to be on the safe side. We should start a gene sharing co-op between pilots and divers.

ZK-NSJ
8th Sep 2002, 09:47
maybe it was the milkman or the postie???????

Huron Topp
9th Sep 2002, 13:02
I Fly: God help the world if flyers and divers start procreating!!

ZK: Nah, neither one. My brother-in-law is just way too persistent. Can't figure out why though. His wife is, how would you say it politely...UGLY. HUGE. etc, etc... No postman or milkman would go near her. Pack 230 lbs onto a 5 foot nothing frame, then whack it in the face with a cast-iron frying pan and you've got a pretty version of my sister-in-law. Hey, come to think of it, maybe it was a Pom!:D

clutchcargo
11th Sep 2002, 03:31
I guess I must be one of the "odd" one's out...??

I have worked as a tech for 12 years on radar systems and have also been flying during that time.

2 boys

(admittedly they occassionally glow in the dark, but isn't that s'pose to be normal?)

:p :p :D :D

High Altitude
11th Sep 2002, 04:23
You will probably all jump on me Dads but...

Thank you for producing more of the fairer sex...:D

Puts more fish out there in the sea...:)

Now ya just gotta worry about all those bloody pilots chasen em...:p

I am so thankful for my son...