PDA

View Full Version : Master Plan for Archerfield

AnotherFSO
22nd Aug 2023, 03:20
Media release today from the Federal Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister, Catherine King:Ensuring a strong future for Archerfield AirportThe Australian Government is working to ensure the next Archerfield Airport Master Plan delivers the best outcomes for the airport’s future, the local aviation industry and the surrounding community.

Archerfield Airport is Brisbane’s metropolitan airport and a critical centre for general aviation in Queensland, supporting corporate and charter flights, flying training and various aviation maintenance services.

The Government has concerns that the draft Master Plan submitted by Archerfield Airport Corporation (AAC) does not provide an adequate level of detail in several areas surrounding the airport’s land use, future developments and environmental impact management.

I have therefore used my authority under the Airports Act 1996 to ask AAC to provide a fresh draft Master Plan for consideration within 180 days.

My main concerns include that the draft Master Plan does not clearly establish the strategic direction for economic and efficient development of the airport over a 20-year planning period, or appropriately indicate the intended uses of the various precincts on the airport site to airport users, the community and the aviation industry.

The draft also does not fully demonstrate how the proposed approach to land use will meet the present and future requirements of civil aviation and other airport users.

Finally, I have concerns about the draft Master Plan’s approach to community consultation on potential aircraft noise impacts relating to general aviation operations in the immediate vicinity of the airport.

I am confident the matters raised can be worked through with AAC to ensure the plan is revised appropriately and the airport community is provided the certainty it needs to plan and invest for the long term.

The Government has also asked AAC to take every opportunity to share its plans with all relevant stakeholders as it prepares a fresh draft Master Plan.

The current 2017 Master Plan will remain in force until a new draft Master Plan is approved. My department will continue to work with AAC through this process.

PiperCameron
22nd Aug 2023, 03:33
Sounds like a carbon copy of the Moorabbin Airport debacle. :uhoh:

Maybe AAC and MAC are best buddies or something?

Lead Balloon
22nd Aug 2023, 03:53
It's more likely that, as with the MAC example, the political moons aligned and there was sufficient pressure put on the Minister and the Department to do their job properly, rather than being the usual rubber stamp. A very rare astronomic event in the history of privatised airport master planning.

PiperCameron
22nd Aug 2023, 04:20
It's more likely that, as with the MAC example, the political moons aligned and there was sufficient pressure put on the Minister and the Department to do their job properly, rather than being the usual rubber stamp. A very rare astronomic event in the history of privatised airport master planning.

Indeed! I'm not sure then whether to be more amazed by the stellar alignment or the sheer arrogance AAC displays thinking no-one would notice. What extraordinary times we live in...

Lead Balloon
22nd Aug 2023, 04:25
The operators of the privatised airports have been encouraged to believe their master plans will be rubber stamped, because of the application of the rubber stamp in the past.

Stationair8
22nd Aug 2023, 08:53
More like this where the Bunnings store is going, this is where the Harvey Norman Superstore will go and another big box development over in that corner!

Don’t forget Archerfield Speedway has been sold for commercial development.

If only we could rid of that annoying aircraft noise!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
22nd Aug 2023, 09:45
Re "Over a 20 year planning period"...........

If the Minister was 'fair dinkum', this would be a 100 year 'planning period' to ensure that the Aerodrome / Airport remains, just that...an Aerodrome / Airport, and an 'active' aviation centre at that, without creating the many 'obstacles' which proliferate the many other airports of this 'Great Country'........OOOPPPsss... slipped into 'politicalese' there..!!

Like - How long has the 'Western SY' airport been in the 'planning'?

Like - I wonder just 'wot' the '20 year planning period' for BK is...??
Hmmmmmm.....

Lead Balloon
22nd Aug 2023, 09:46
Yes, Stationair8. The next level 'up' from 'rubber stamp' is 'go through the motions of pretending not to rubber stamp, then rubber stamp'.

YBAF, YSBK, YSCN, YMMB and YPJT will, I reckon, be shut as aerodromes and cannibalised during my lifetime. YPPF will probably outlast me.