PDA

View Full Version : EASA conversion worth it?

JLRK
21st Aug 2023, 18:59
Hello,

I am sure this topic has been discussed to death on this forum and I have read multiple older posts before. I am not able to find a recent discussion on this subject however.

I have a Canadian fixed wing and rotary license and I have a EU passport. I am curious if the opportunities are better in Europe for pilots and if anyone has an option if converting the license is worth it? What is the situation like currently in the EU?

Also, I have spoken to numerous schools about the process, can anyone recommend a school that is good to work with and that provides a great experience? Any country better over another? While money is obviously a factor, I don't mind spending a bit more to get things done in a quicker and proper way.

thanks

paco
22nd Aug 2023, 06:56
If you don't need it, don't do it. If you have to, Austro Control are probably the most popular authority to deal with for the written exams, although the people in Ireland are nice as well.

You licence and medical must reside with a particular state, so choose it carefully.

You would be best taking the rotary licence first, then bridge over with 5 exams to fixed wing. That way you don't have to do the Mass & Balance for the 737.

ahwalk01
22nd Aug 2023, 07:17
just because you have the passport doesn't mean residence is automatic or straightforward.

redsnail
22nd Aug 2023, 08:27
Hi Paco,
Regarding the licence and medical need to be in the same state, I have a Dutch licence and a Maltese medical. No one seems too bothered, or is it just for the initial?
Cheers
reddo

deltahotel
22nd Aug 2023, 08:31
When I SOLI'd out from UK to IAA, my first medical was issued by the IAA as they then held my medical records (sent from uk). Subsequent medicals were done on Austro paper because that's where my UK based AME was registered - obvs on every medical the results would go straight to IAA.

Hth

JLRK
22nd Aug 2023, 12:35
Not sure I follow. Can you expand?

I am a dual citizen and have the right to live and work in the EU.

JLRK
22nd Aug 2023, 12:38
Thanks for the suggestions.

I currently work in Canada but have been interested for a while to move back to Europe. While I don't necessarily look forward to tackling the conversion, I just wonder if it would open new opportunities etc. and if it could actually be worth it.

redsnail
22nd Aug 2023, 13:12
OK Cool. When I SOLI'd I went Dutch. My AME is with the Maltese authorities. Makes sense.
Thanks.

JLRK
22nd Aug 2023, 19:59
Thanks

I don't currently need it but have been considering a move back to Europe for a few years now. Just not sure if it's a smart or feasible option. The conversion doesn't sound like fun, but it would come in handy should we want to move back.

paco
23rd Aug 2023, 06:39
Fair enough - redsnail: although your licence and medical must reside in a particular state the medical can be renewed anywhere, so you're good.

To JLRK - you have to go through an ATO with EASA, but if you have more than a certain amount of hours (500 for helicopters I think) PIC on a machine that requires two pilots you can self-certify for the exams. You still have to take them all though.

Phil

Bullet Baxter
5th Dec 2023, 13:15
sorry for jumping in on this - haven’t been on here for about 20 years - quick question - I’m converting my UKCAA ATPL over right now (‘mare of a process) and last thing I need to do is a class 1 EASA medical - getting not a lot of help from IAA on this - question is: Do I need to do an initial EASA class 1? No way of “transferring”?

When I SOLI'd out from UK to IAA, my first medical was issued by the IAA as they then held my medical records (sent from uk). Subsequent medicals were done on Austro paper because that's where my UK based AME was registered - obvs on every medical the results would go straight to IAA.

Hth