PDA

View Full Version : Rabaul

angry ant
19th Aug 2023, 06:19
Apinun Wantoks
In case you are not aware of this, some good pella info, for you all, On Mon. night, Aug. 21st., on Brisbane TV channel 2, ABCtv , at 8PM , BACK ROADS, with Tania Bale heads for Rabaul, PNG.
When we were there in the early 70's living in a block of 4 units, half way up Tunnel Hill Rd. on the right. We were there when the huge earthquake hit in early 1971, lots of damage,but the thing that frightened us all the most was the
Tsunami,s that went on for about 2 days.
Apinun Olgeta
Rosco

Flingwing47
19th Aug 2023, 12:03
I was in the coffee shop at Smugglers one night in ‘76 when I heard an American ask the bartender where he could rent a plane for 8 pax to go to Rabaul and then to Honiara.
I was taking another load of ten US tourists down to Mendi, then Balimo and on to Bensbach lodge (great place)
quoted him a price - he accepted so a couple days later off we headed to Rabaul.
turned out he was shot down in Rabaul doing a low level recce in a B25.
On this trip he brought his mother, wife, 2 daughters, 2 sons and a son in law.
I duplicated his pass for him - over the ridge to the north and as we crossed it he said “that when they got the left engine, and 30 secs later got the right engine”
they splashed down next to the Beehive rocks - all got out except the tail gunner.
A couple of P40s heard him and straffed the Japanese boats that came his way.
A PBY was on SAR duty and came around from the south on the deck, splashed down and saved the day for he and his crew.
Oh he was also shot down in a C47 before that !!
lucky chappie

angry ant
20th Aug 2023, 03:32
I was based in Rabaul from Mar. 1970 till Oct. 1971 then we were all transferred to Port Moresby, till Oct 1973. Then Ansett APNG closed down and we were brought back to Oz, some stayed to help form Air New Guinea.
I was dual endorsed on DC-3 and F-27 in Rabaul, one week on the DC-3 then a week on the F-27, F-27 only in Pom.
Had a great time there and learnt a lot about the special clouds up there, known as, Cumulus Granartus
Apinun Wantok
Rosco

Flingwing47
20th Aug 2023, 11:45
The second part to his story was that he was the 3rd B25 sent on that mission - the 2 previous aircraft did not get back to POM so assumed they had been shot down.
Those first 2 days were really bad weather - the day he left the skies were clear. Maps were not too accurate back then - using the same fight plan, the track took them right over Mt Brown at 5000ft - the map showed its height was 3150.
Almost 3000 ft below it real height of 6000ft !
And as he flew toward it he saw 2 new rockslides :(
RIP

layman
20th Aug 2023, 13:09
The second part to his story was that he was the 3rd B25 sent on that mission - the 2 previous aircraft did not get back to POM so assumed they had been shot down.
Those first 2 days were really bad weather - the day he left the skies were clear. Maps were not too accurate back then - using the same fight plan, the track took them right over Mt Brown at 5000ft - the map showed its height was 3150.
Almost 3000 ft below it real height of 6000ft !
And as he flew toward it he saw 2 new rockslides :(
RIP
Flingwing

Do you have a name or approximate dates? I've been doing a bit of research for a U3A presentation on the air war over New Guinea / New Britain and have collected a few histories / memoirs / research papers.

I (might) have something and be able to add a little to the tale.

Story doesn't sound familiar but there are many (many) stories relating to just the air war e.g. the B-26 crew that went down between Rabaul and Gasmata with 3 of 8 crew returning to Port Moresby 10 months later.

PM if you'd prefer

regards
layman

Flingwing47
21st Aug 2023, 12:26
Will do tomorrow

Octane
21st Aug 2023, 15:41
Was he able to point out where he ditched the aircraft? It's still there..

Flingwing47
21st Aug 2023, 21:43
Right next to the Beehive rocks off the end of the old Lakuna runway - as we flew over the ridge to join crosswind he just pointed at them and said “that’s where we splashed in”
We spent the night there before heading off to Honiara the next day
he owned a steel mill in Pittsburgh I think.
I guess the machine is still there

Retired Mobi LAME
21st Aug 2023, 22:14
In 1980 when working for AWA contracted to Air Nuigini I had to fly over to Rabaul to fix a dead F27. I remember doing a few circuits out of Jacksons before starting the climb to get over the Owen Stanleys. The ground seemed to keep up with the aircraft as we proceeded and then wooshka, it was gone as we got to the peaks. It required an overnight stay and after getting the a/c serviceable I checked into the pub and had a wander down the main street. There was all manner of WWII relics dug out by locals for sale and I picked up a section of belt with large .50 calibre bullets. I asked if they were still live and the seller said "Yes". I put them back down very carefully. Great times in a great place.
I went back there on a cruise in 2008 and not much had been done to resurrect the town. The Mother (I think) was rumbling away leaving the ship covered in a fine gritty ash and when we departed that evening we could see the red glow from the crater.

Duck Pilot
21st Aug 2023, 23:16
Link to the story and program:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-21/rabaul-papua-new-guinea-top-things-to-know-back-roads/102742272?utm_source=abc_news_web&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=link

B747_4ever
22nd Aug 2023, 01:40
Yes, those of us fortunate enough to have called Rabaul home over the years will always treasure this Paradise in the Pacific. I spent around 5 years living here at the inception of Air Niugini. Initially at the ex TAA town houses on Namanula Hill and later at Wanliss Street at the foot of Tunnel Hill. Sadly Namanula was completed buried as a result of the August 2014 eruption of Tavurvur (Matupit). Whilst living in Rabaul, I often took a ride in a Lakatoi across to Matupit and got up close and personal which in those days appeared to be relatively peaceful.
The Volcano we residents were worried about was actually Rabalanakaia but Matupit really got angry. I have climbed the nearby 'Mother' frequently and the view from the very top is well worth the effort.
Rabaul was 'Guria (Earthquake) Central and a Volcanic Observatory was stationed near Tunnel Hill. Frequent gurias were regular occurrences and we paid little attention until the occasional one which demanded our undivided attention.
There was actually an area of Hot Springs located near the base of Mt Tavurvur (Matupit) used by Japanese troops in WW11.
Tunnel Hill had a dark past mainly for the Tunnel Hill Massacre in 1944 during WW11, and then being the location of many Tunnels during Japanese occupation where supplies and arms were stored.
The Rabaul Lakunai airstrip despite it's challengers with Tavurvur off the south eastern end and Simpson Harbour off the north western end, but served Rabaul and the Gazelle Peninsula really well. Sadly now buried until deep volcanic ash along with the adjoining Golf Course and the entire area of eastern Rabaul including Chinatown.
The Administrative and commercial area have since relocated to Kokopo and now served by the adjoining Rabaul Tokua Airport.
Yes, Rabaul provided fond and lasting memories for those of us fortunate to be stationed there, and will live on in our memories.
Gone but not forgotten !

KRUSTY 34
22nd Aug 2023, 09:30
I was in the coffee shop at Smugglers one night in ‘76 when I heard an American ask the bartender where he could rent a plane for 8 pax to go to Rabaul and then to Honiara.
I was taking another load of ten US tourists down to Mendi, then Balimo and on to Bensbach lodge (great place)
quoted him a price - he accepted so a couple days later off we headed to Rabaul.
turned out he was shot down in Rabaul doing a low level recce in a B25.
On this trip he brought his mother, wife, 2 daughters, 2 sons and a son in law.
I duplicated his pass for him - over the ridge to the north and as we crossed it he said “that when they got the left engine, and 30 secs later got the right engine”
they splashed down next to the Beehive rocks - all got out except the tail gunner.
A couple of P40s heard him and straffed the Japanese boats that came his way.
A PBY was on SAR duty and came around from the south on the deck, splashed down and saved the day for he and his crew.
Oh he was also shot down in a C47 before that !!
lucky chappie

Bloody Hell! Brave brave men.

Luckier (except the Tail Gunner) than big Bill Newton and his WAG!

krismiler
23rd Aug 2023, 02:57
I was trying to get a job up there in 1994 and remember the news of the volcanic eruption coming over the car radio while I was driving down the road in Brisbane. Employment hopes were quickly dashed.

i managed to get taken on by another operator and remember seeing WW2 bomb craters along the coast near Wewak.

Rabaul had fantastic Scuba diving and the living would have been more congenial than Moresby or the Highlands. I could easily see myself flying a C402 out of there and would probably have stuck around and tried for Air Niugini.