PDA

View Full Version : VB and Star Alliance

Prong Wallop
1st Sep 2002, 08:40
Can somebody enlighten me as to the likely reasons for VB not joining the Star Alliance and therefore alleviating SIA's blues regarding an Oz domestic feed?
Is it technical? ie. Perhaps a Star Alliance requirement for the participating airline to have J class?
I find it extraordinary that with the cross ownership between VB, Virgin Atlantic and SIA that the SIA boys haven't been negotiating such a deal, that is on carriage rights with VB.

sprucegoose
1st Sep 2002, 08:44
Cost. Thats the only official answer given. They want to keep the business model as it is. In reality however one would assume there is a lot of game play going on behind the scenes with respect to this very issue.

Airtart
1st Sep 2002, 09:07
As far as I understand, Star Alliance requires members to maintain a certain standard to retain membership.
The standards being:
Business Class
Frequent Flyers Program
Business Lounges for Star Members
Full service in the cabin
Designated checkin for different classes/members
Plus the actual cost of joining Star Alliance
What Star is looking for is a seamless experience for their members when travelling from one carrier to another.
Hopes this helps

sprucegoose
1st Sep 2002, 09:29
Which is all cost related.

Raider1
1st Sep 2002, 11:16
As a former facilitator/trainer for AN when Star Alliance was first introduced in Aus, I can tell you that Virgin Blue don't get within a bulls roar of meeting Star Alliance standards. No offence intended to VB its just that Star Alliance demands seamless travel, J/C, full service and fully linked frequent flyer etc.
I can recall numerous discussions about throwing United out of Star Alliance because the feedback from the high yield business market in Aus was that United didn't meet expected standards on the Aus to US sector .

sprucegoose
1st Sep 2002, 11:23
Nobody would take offence Raider1. VB have had no intention to meet with Star standards in the sense of seating class and airport lounges ect. I guess the question might still remain however as to whether or not any future expansion of the company will involve setting up such facilities . Oficially so far the answer has been no.