View Full Version : No frills at Coventry

BHX
1st Sep 2002, 07:07
Just heard that Coventry airport has applied for a license to be a no frills hub. Anyone have any further details? :eek:

Jet II
1st Sep 2002, 07:15
What sort of licence do you need to be a 'no frills hub'?

Surely if you are operating large pax a/c is doesn't make any difference if they are no frills, full service or charter.

:confused:

lambchopboy
1st Sep 2002, 08:49
i don't know about any licence however the airport has/will apply for permission to build a passenger terminal on the southside already/very soon!

Off Blox
1st Sep 2002, 09:11
Heartair springs to mind - A320's

Best Western
2nd Sep 2002, 08:19
Many Many moons ago, Ryanair used to fly to Coventry

King Muppet
2nd Sep 2002, 09:02
Heartair? Who they? :confused:

Off Blox
2nd Sep 2002, 16:42
I thought they were this new crowd being formed by Mr Hansford of ex TNT fame......:(

tangocharlie
2nd Sep 2002, 17:14
There was a rumour that Heartair would be starting out of BHX

Off Blox
2nd Sep 2002, 20:02
.....and then they heard that MyTravelLite would be heading towards BHX, hence now the interest at CVT..... I might be wrong of course.....:D

VIKING9
4th Sep 2002, 15:31
Just heard that a new airline called FlyWings is in the process of starting up.....not sure if there is any connection with CVT or not though :D

VIKING9
8th Sep 2002, 09:06
So, is there any more news on this so called start up carrier at CVT ??? :rolleyes:

canberra
8th Sep 2002, 13:41
great idea putting airliners in to cvt. one problem, how will people get there? i thought the government was going on about intergrated transport, so where is the nearest train station? at least bhx mme man and lgw have train stations and man will soon have a tram terminus.

Legs11
12th Sep 2002, 12:11
I read in the AOA magazine that coventry have delayed a decision on their terminal as they didn't appear to get too high a profile in the government consultation thingy on future air transport. No point spending a fortune on another white elephant.

jmc757
12th Sep 2002, 20:15
I live in Coventry and see the airport regularly.

Don't know if it's improved but Coventry used to be an airport where one wiped one's shoes AFTER LEAVING the terminal building!!
Correct!!! Its been many years since any passenger activity happened at CVT, and the terminal has not improved since. there is a new small terminal for the business jets on the other side of the airfield, but they wont want the no-frills likes mixing there!!
Another interesting point, a new smallish warehouse has just gone up, apparently for a haulage company. only small problem is trucks will have to go onto the apron to access it. mixing planes and HGV's!! hmmmm......
Dont think this will happen somehow. never does at CVT, Atlantique group are full of great ideas......... not so good at implementing any of them.
:D
jmc757

niknak
12th Sep 2002, 22:13
Although I suspect that no one will ever admit it, the government transport policy for the Midlands has been for some time, and will be for the forseeable future:

Majority of UK/European schedule services and inter continental pax services will operate from Birmingham.

Freight (UK, European, and inter continental) plus charter and low cost / no frills, some scheduled services, from EMA.

The remainder can go to Coventry, which, given the limited facilities, will not expand upon what it already has without substantial investment.