PDA

View Full Version : Kopter / Leonardo AW09

Tickle
12th Aug 2023, 06:26
I had not been paying attention to this new type that's been in development, nice to see progress from a few months ago.

It has an interesting sound signature, sounds like a flying power station transformer.

The rear doors will be good for EMS.

Hope it does well, they seem to be well ahead of the HX50.

skxBtfW7RyQ

Droopy
12th Aug 2023, 15:23
Looks a tad small for HEMS?

dascanio
12th Aug 2023, 15:33
Looks a tad small for HEMS?
actually, cabin is at least as large as a twin H135

Twist & Shout
12th Aug 2023, 23:45
Do the blades rotate the wrong way?
Maybe to attract sales from Eurocopter owners….

Agile
13th Aug 2023, 02:52
It has an interesting sound signature, sounds like a flying power station transformer.

Intriging sound indeed, this is a sound characteristic that I think you would hear from a 500 flight by at medium speed but never that lound.
so i assume it has something to do the 5-blades rotor head, on second thought, because of the high pitch it sound like the tail rotor blades have a nasty resonance...

good looking ship, the Arriel 2K and the new cowling nicely packaged

13th Aug 2023, 09:20
I think it is the fenestron when in lateral flight

helispotter
13th Aug 2023, 10:22
Tickle,

There is a thread on the development of this helicopter from when it was originally being developed by Marenco:

https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/446869-marenco-swiss-helicopter.html

My 'non aeronautical' feeling is the fuselage is quite short and bluff at its back end. I wonder how that influences flow past the fenestron when in forward flight? But I guess the same could be said of the Hughes 300, Robinson R22 and they work just fine!

Helicopterdriverguy
13th Aug 2023, 11:33
Do the blades rotate the wrong way?
Maybe to attract sales from Eurocopter owners….
I can’t see why that would attract sales when you lift the pedals do the work you just keep it straight

SLFMS
13th Aug 2023, 14:36
I’m a little surprised they have gone 5 bladed I would have thought that would increase cost. Should make for good performance though.
For an AW she’s a bit ugly.
Nice to see more in this class been developed.

Twist & Shout
13th Aug 2023, 22:30
I can’t see why that would attract sales when you lift the pedals do the work you just keep it straight

Sorry - I was being facetious, re the “customers” comment.
But the choice of direction is not immediately obvious to me.