PDA

View Full Version : BMI slightly above 35- Mater Private Hospital in Dublin

FoxForce44
11th Aug 2023, 17:52
Hello Folks!

I'm finishing my conversion from my FAA license to the EASA, and I'll be performing the initial 1st class medical in the Mater Private Hospital, in Dublin.

My BMI is always at the limit or slightly above since I'm a big fella. Health is all perfect , other than this BMI thing.

I appreciate any feedback from anyone with the same problem that has done the initial recently.

Cheers!

rudestuff
11th Aug 2023, 18:53
By "big fella" do you mean body builder? - because generally 35 is considered obese and unhealthy.

Uplinker
11th Aug 2023, 18:54
As mentioned in a similar thread; cut out all sugar (and salt) from your diet.

You will need to read the food labels to ensure that you are not eating any hidden sugar - the bastards put it into everything.

Then do some regular exercise - something more than walking is required - you need to elevate your heart rate.

Good luck.

sealo0
11th Aug 2023, 21:22
How does it work out with this “Waist to Height Ratio Calculator”?

redsnail
12th Aug 2023, 10:41
There's a couple of things to consider.
Is your blood pressure within the normal range? If so, good.
Are you just "too short" or are you a fitness enthusiast? The hip waist ratio will answer this. Rugby players/body builders are often classed as overweight by BMI as it is a crude measure and doesn't take into account muscle mass and frame size.

If you're "too short" for your weight, further investigations will probably need to take place.
Namely a functional check - can you reach every thing and not block the controls.
Blood test. blood lipids etc.
Cardiologist report. They'll do a scan to check for disease and aorta size. They'll ask about lifestyle stuff such as activity and calorie intake. Finally, they'll check neck size, chest, hip and waist ratios.
However, expect to be told to shift the kilos even if disease is not present. Think of it as operating your aircraft over gross weight, you wouldn't do it, so why do it to yourself. :)