PDA

View Full Version : Delays in Africa

PAXboy
7th Aug 2023, 11:41
If you are travelling across North Africa, you can expect delays as Niger has closed it's airspace.
South African flights badly delayed. (https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/british-airways-flights-niger-airspace-b2388703.html?r=5009)

By now, they will have worked out the rerouting and should not be a problem but no telling. I had exactly the same problem in 1990 (I think it was). On a daylight Sabena from JNB to BRU and Algeria closed their airspace when we were almost on their 'doorstep'. Had to travel west and refuel in Casablanca before going north again. So I missed connection to LHR but they put me and others in the hotel.

bbrown1664
7th Aug 2023, 13:10
I thought is was Niger that closed its airspace, not Nigeria

SamYeager
7th Aug 2023, 14:59
To be fair Niger and Nigeria can be easily confused.

Expatrick
7th Aug 2023, 15:06

Especially by auto-correct!

PAXboy
7th Aug 2023, 15:56
Thanks guys, trying to move too quickly. Now corrected.

rennypie
7th Aug 2023, 17:59

Errr no, one is french speaking and the other english speaking

S.o.S.
7th Aug 2023, 18:47
Hello rennypie and welcome to PPRuNe and the cabin in particular. You are correct and 'Niger' is no longer pronounced as if to say Nigel ...

davidjohnson6
7th Aug 2023, 19:12
I undetstand anti-Europe sentiment is high in Mali right now. Perhaps Mali might also close its airspace to some or all airlines ?

PAXboy
7th Aug 2023, 22:15
If more of North Africa closes, then places like Ilha do Sal, will enjoy a return of the good times.

Dufo
7th Aug 2023, 23:33

Both are epicenters of excellency, prosperity and diversity. Dreamlands not to be confused just because of similar names!

Asturias56
9th Aug 2023, 07:11
Surprised there aren't more tourists - "The Nigerian Experience" is certainly different from Disney Florida

Mr Mac
9th Aug 2023, 14:16
Asturias56
I am not sure Disney did many nightmarish movies. Snow White v Heart of Darkness perhaps.

One of those places you hate to go to but love to leave 😂😂

Cheers
Mr Mac

Asturias56
9th Aug 2023, 16:52
Not always Mr M - I have found it to be extremely interesting - not a moment of boredom at any time. And it opens your eyes to possibilities that you would never get sitting in comfort in N W Europe.

Comfortable? Rarely

Surprising? Always

DaveReidUK
9th Aug 2023, 17:39
I undetstand anti-Europe sentiment is high in Mali right now. Perhaps Mali might also close its airspace to some or all airlines ?

I don't think the aim of the airspace closure is to spite European airlines.

Helol
9th Aug 2023, 18:03
This was posted last week on Twitter, showing the routes: Credit to @EvilDoctor who posted it.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1654x1278/africa_detours_1b7d863d33654b91cfa5356ac156435f54e7134f.jpg

Helol
9th Aug 2023, 18:07
Asturias56
I am not sure Disney did many nightmarish movies. Snow White v Heart of Darkness perhaps.
One of those places you hate to go to but love to leave 😂😂
Mr Mac

Off topic, but I had the misfortune to spend new years eve at Disney in Anaheim a few years ago, when we were living in LA (friends had organised it, and I couldn't get out of it) Oh my word, my worse nightmare. I hated every single minute of it - edit, change that - I meant every single second of it.

Mr Mac
9th Aug 2023, 20:34
Asturias 56 / Helol
I agree with your comment on the continent, and I have spent a considerable amount of time in Sub Saharan Africa, starting when 22 heading south mostly overland. First overseas work in Lagos and still really like the place, as in Africa, and try to get back there when I can for pleasure, but working there can be challenging, which I think we all may agree. Though dislike Nigeria.

Heloi
As for Anaheim I have not been there, but not some where I would not want to go. We do some testing in Miami, and not really a fan, though I take the opportunity to fish in the Keys, but at Spring Break some younger colleagues find some attractions I am told ! We used to test a lot there, but now use less agreeable places unless client spec, and some how tests seem to be successfully completed more quickly 😉
Cheers
Mr Mac

ZFT
10th Aug 2023, 06:24
If more of North Africa closes, then places like Ilha do Sal, will enjoy a return of the good times.
Having spent more that a few nights there in the 70s I can't really recall those good times.

PAXboy
10th Aug 2023, 09:33
My guess for the closure of airspace is that they are moving troops and attacking towns. Their aircraft certainly don't have ADS-B (or others) operational and may be at any altitude and may not have lights. I recall my nephew telling me of this problem when he was a bush pilot for the UN 20 years ago. Aircraft that no one knows about doing things they don't want anyone to know about. Whilst commercial aircraft are at altitude, if they make an unscheduled descent for a pressure problem - having them bump into an undocumented craft carrying guns or mercenaries is not a good look.