PDA

View Full Version : Low Level Fixed Wing East Coast

Mr Mossberg
7th Aug 2023, 05:50
Can anyone help a brother out please, in need of a Low Level endorsement, Anywhere on the east coast, preferable SE QLD or NSW.

TIA

Mach1Muppet
8th Aug 2023, 07:14
Dave Berguss in Moruya

Capn Rex Havoc
8th Aug 2023, 15:24
Bob Harris - Innisfail

Horatio Leafblower
9th Aug 2023, 05:05
Harley McKillop in Scone

navajoe
9th Aug 2023, 09:42
What does a low level endorsement involve, anyone can fly low..............

Cedrik
9th Aug 2023, 10:14
Is there a syllabus/course?

Bosi72
9th Aug 2023, 12:49
The LL rating is not very useful as it can't be used unless operationally, i.e. with Casa approvals..
​​​​The training is rarely provided to ordinary pilots. Regardless of having a LL rating, a pilot still can't fly legally below 500ft.

The syllabus is best described in this book: https://www.conceptaviation.com.au/buy/books/flight-at-lower-levels-safety-through-awareness
It's a 5 hrs (competency based), with tailwheel endorsement as a prerequisite.

Checkboard
9th Aug 2023, 13:26
What does a low level endorsement involve, anyone can fly low..............
Well, there are two exercises in the PPL syllabus (well, the one I used to teach 25 years ago, at least). One involves understanding the visual effects of wind and how it can lead to inappropriate rudder inputs (increased drag, yaw, spin) turning up wind or down wind. The other involves low level navigation and terrain recognition.

Then there's the different collision risks - especially man-made ones. Understanding what a Single-wire earth return (SWER) transmission system is, compared to three-phase electric power Transmission Lines, what to look for, how to predict where the wires (which you can't see) are by recognising the poles and where they are placed etc etc.

Then there are job-specific hazards - depending on if you are flying low level for powerline inspection vs crop dusting for instance.

Mr Mossberg
10th Aug 2023, 11:43
The LL rating is not very useful as it can't be used unless operationally

Yes, it's a requirement for a gig, not after the rating for fun.

Thank you all for the tips, much appreciated :ok:​​​​​​​

Mach1Muppet
11th Aug 2023, 04:46
Well, there are two exercises in the PPL syllabus (well, the one I used to teach 25 years ago, at least). One involves understanding the visual effects of wind and how it can lead to inappropriate rudder inputs (increased drag, yaw, spin) turning up wind or down wind. The other involves low level navigation and terrain recognition.

Then there's the different collision risks - especially man-made ones. Understanding what a Single-wire earth return (SWER) transmission system is, compared to three-phase electric power Transmission Lines, what to look for, how to predict where the wires (which you can't see) are by recognising the poles and where they are placed etc etc.

Then there are job-specific hazards - depending on if you are flying low level for powerline inspection vs crop dusting for instance.
Couldn't of summarised it better, hasn't changed much from this and still just as valid. The whole endorsement feels like it scratches a very general surface of the dangers and escapes of flying low.

Stikman
11th Aug 2023, 09:56
I recently completed mine with Barry Foster at Leongatha. 5 hours training and 1.1 hours flight test.
The training consisted of racetrack patterns and figure 8's at 100' AGL, flying up ridges and down valleys, following a creek out of the hills, procedure turns after runs at crop-dusting heights, flying over and under power lines, and low level circuits.
Lots of fun and lots of hard work.....and I'd never flown a Pawnee before!