PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Airport Movements

thinking pilot
31st Aug 2002, 23:39
I'd like an opinion from anyone out there in Darwin on whether they think there has been a decrease in traffic operating out of Darwin since September of last year. Airline and general aviation. No bull**** answers from commercial operators please.

Capt Vegemite
1st Sep 2002, 00:05
Yes.

airbrake42
1st Sep 2002, 00:32
There are stats out there.

Not sure about sept last year but there is definitely a decrease. It wasn't that long ago that it was rare to see a turbine aircraft at Darwin, now every one has one. With turbine aircraft you generally have more seats and with more seats, especially RPT seats you need less aircraft.
DHC-6, EMB110, Conquest, B200, C208, Metro, EMB 120, etc a few years ago it was all C210's and a conquest and Turbo commander.

MIss Behaviour
1st Sep 2002, 02:52
Since Sept 2001 Darwin has lost Malaysia Airlines who operated an A330 twice weekly CNS/DRW to KL service.

Qantas used to have a daily 747SP/767300 flight CNS/DRW/SIN which ceased operation in Dec 2001. To replace that the thrice weekly 767-300 ADL/SIN flight now ops thru DRW.

Many businesses are affected besides car rental companies & hotels. Even the duty free store people cross their fingers the flight departs ADL on time coz if it's late the SLF can't disembark to shop.

There are ****** all cheap seats for sale ex DRW to SIN & beyond. If you're travelling to Europe more than likely you'll need to go via PER. Forget any cheap packages to SIN or via SIN to Thailand - they're a thing of the past & only available from every other major city.

That only leaves Garuda twice a week & QF thrice weekly DRW/DPS and BI DRW/BWN twice weekly.

Apart from that, everything's fine and dandy! :cool:

topend3
1st Sep 2002, 03:21
Yes definitely a decrease in the total traffic, if you look at ansett's demise, even with the increase in qf domestic services they haven't filled the void. dj still only offer one daily flight from brisbane, surely this has to increase soon, rumour has it that a virgin alice springs and adelaide connection is on the way, by year's end.

it is obvious that an increase in int'l traffic is needed, what is the governments solution? pay an "aviation ambassador" $100k to "woo" the airlines, surely they can do better than this.

maybe australian airlines will come to darwin, and alliance may start up here too.

all very interesting to see what will happen anyway.

Dog One
1st Sep 2002, 06:30
Besides the drop in movements through AN's demise, it seems a lot quieter than normal. Doesn't appear to be too many GA singles around.

High Altitude
1st Sep 2002, 07:45
The airline movements are certainly way down. Darwin has lost a total of 40% of seats (international) compared to this time last year. I won't go on a tangent but thats why our landing fees have gone spare!

Ansett gone.....

East Timor ops certainly slowed down.....

General Aviation is alive and booming. I may be a commercial operator but speak to anyone and they will tell you how busy its been. Companys are literally running out of pilots constantly due duty and flight time. Air North seem to be getting more Bras than could fit around Dolly Parton's chest.

So in answer YES traffic is down as a whole but GA is definatley up well through my rose coloured glasses anyways.....

No Further Requirements
2nd Sep 2002, 04:07
Yep, yep, yep.....

All good comments, but let me pose this one...

Does anyone think that when the railway gets here, (Darwin or Palmerston!!!) that Darwin will perhaps become an international freight hub? Surely it will be cheaper to fly freight into Darwin and then train it down south rather than fly it all the way?

Just a thought...

NFR.

PS. If there is so much demand for lighty pilots, why are most of them on casual lists, get ****** all hours and end up leaving? Where are all the ex-Wimray pilots now? Not at Air Ngukurr that's for sure......Just a question, not a dig.

Capt Claret
2nd Sep 2002, 04:37
NFR,

I'd be surprised if there's all that much airfreight out of Darwin in the overall scheme of things, though I'm ready to be flamed if incorrect.

WRT international freight I'd suspect that if it's flown as far as Darwin it'd be flown all the way, as realistically, it would be too costly to get freight to DRW as compared with MEL/SYD/BNE, when you consider how few Internationals call into our International Airport.

When the train does arrive, be it Palmerston or Darwin, I wouldn't be at all surprised if pax numbers into or out of Darwin increase. The train is going to be expensive and I can see a lot of people taking the trip, one way for the experience, and flying the other way.

Capt Vegemite
2nd Sep 2002, 06:01
Forget the train, it will become a heavily publicly subsidised white elephant.
Or perhaps you could point me to a railway that is working in Oz?
As for a container shipping port...bah humbug...it costs twice as much now to ship a container from Singapore to Darwin as it does to any other southern port in Oz.
The one and only shipping company allowed to operate into Darwin will of course rectify this when the railway arrives by dropping their charges 80% to encourage the use of the rail.
Pigs arse.
Now then international flights out of Darwin.
Who uses them? Public servants on holidays,bludging politicians on fact finding missions to the Greek islands et al, oh, the Darwin City council on sister city visits.
Did I miss anyone? Maybe the social security beneficiaries from Palmerston on the annual Bali cultural exchange visit.
Not much here for an Airbus or 777 to bother dropping in.
As for the chadda mob well we all know which industry runs dat wun brudda.
Dont expect any of this to change anytime soon.

Capt Claret
2nd Sep 2002, 08:38
Veg,

Didn't realise you were such an optomist! :p

Capt Vegemite
2nd Sep 2002, 18:12
I feel better after that vent Claret ! :D

Besides how we gonna improve tourism numbers when some clowns keep handcuffing 'em to trees at gunpoint?

:eek:

thinking pilot
3rd Sep 2002, 03:23
I,m not sure about HA,s comments about things being busy in the GA sector in Darwin. All I remember is that a couple of years ago in Darwin there was A/C after A/C departing early in the morning, I just don,t see that happening anymore. And the other thing is the amout of casual pilots who are still casual after 2-3 years. If there was a **** load of flying out there, they would all be fulltime by now. Why are they still packing shelves?

airbrake42
4th Sep 2002, 06:08
I don't work in Darwin anymore, however I do visit frquently and make the following observations, whether they are accurate or not maybe another matter.

Less slugs departing early in the am replaced by DHC6. Even with the same number of pax travelling that would do away with 4 slugs. Make it look quiet, but probably more efficient=more $$.

Similar story since Arnhem fell over and Scare North fly the sewer pipe and Brasillia to those destinations.

Better RPT service = less charter flights = same pax overall.

????????????

MIss Behaviour
4th Sep 2002, 13:10
Even when QF & MH experienced very high load factors (I know this does not always equal profit) the majority of sales were made outside the NT (eg Europe) so local offices did not get the credit for revenue. Seems a funny reason to can a flight altogether, maybe someone ‘in the know’ can enlighten us all.

TopEnd3

Just waiting for the appointment of an ‘adviser’ to the aviation ambassador which would be the icing on the cake, after all 7 out of 7 (NT) cabinet ministers can’t be wrong!

Capt Vege

That photo is bloody scary fella!

High Altitude

How do you spell definitely??? :D

Northern Chique
5th Sep 2002, 00:21
the wet season will see movements increase with demand for freight and passenger movenments to cut off areas.

Rather rewarding flying and time to make sure youve a spare toothbrush, and underware change down the bottom of the flight bag. Many a pilot has cut their teeth on a top end wet season...

Mango madness has struck early and the "Build-up" has begun..... :(

SniperPilot
5th Sep 2002, 15:08
??????????????????? WOT?

mdot
6th Sep 2002, 01:23
Good one Navajo FO. Good to see your typing skills allowed you to only find a couple of keys!!

ASSFUGGGA!!

:D :D :D :D

MARARA
6th Sep 2002, 03:25
Anyone have any idea what this aircraft is ? Who's it is? I usually see it late in the evening about 6pm, i think it just took off out of DRW 10-20 mins ago.

thanx

Mainframe
6th Sep 2002, 03:30
Marara

Probably Ron Lawford's Rutan "LONG-EZE", canard, swept wing, tandem cockpit, Lyc O320, 150kts.

High Altitude
6th Sep 2002, 05:48
Just check with the Aviation museum as it lives there now. I thought it had been retired?

How big was this rear engined thingy?

MARARA
6th Sep 2002, 06:18
its quite big, i actually thought it was a Fokker. But when i have seen it, it has been quite far away.

Dog One
6th Sep 2002, 12:02
It may have been Alliance's F100. It was parked on bay 7 this morning when we came through.

Capt Vegemite
6th Sep 2002, 12:27
Ron usda terrorise the town every sunday in his back ta front plane.
It still flying?

dbr
11th Sep 2002, 11:06
To answer the original post, the movements are down, way down:

1999-2000 98,898
2000-2001 94,708
2001-2002 84,448

and calendar year to date (jan-aug) = 53,652

airbrake42
11th Sep 2002, 22:42
Alos have not had the military exercises of the past.

D.Lamination
12th Sep 2002, 00:35
dbr,

Don't forget that since AN went down QF have been using B767's a lot so less movments but similar pax no.s.

Don't agree with losing daily SIN flight though - it must be hurting local tourism:mad:

Capt Vegemite
12th Sep 2002, 22:22
Oh...here we go... qantas just halved their weekly flights to Bali.

Gotta dickeybird that Shells work boats have quietly up anchored and sailed off .

Better go reserve me beggin' spot in Mitchell St...apparently you can feed yerself quite well snatchin food off tourists plates.:(

:eek: Ut... Oh...Newsflash...a BOOZER has closed its doors in Darwin.

MIss Behaviour
13th Sep 2002, 11:45
Cheer up Vege there's still about 26 other establishments offering refreshments.

Bet old Mich McNamee is licking his chops right now - one less competitor for Rorke's, unless the other mob get their licence to serve patrons standing up.

Thursday is always an interesting day for people spotting in the mall so I'll look out for you! :D :D

Northern Chique
16th Sep 2002, 00:25
Thanks to the bunch of aviation guys and gals who offered to help with a patient outside Rourkes the other night...

I was amazed to see pilots put down drinks and offer a hand! :D

This particular patient had security, sitting patrons, police, fire and ambulance "entertained" :confused: for quite some time. The patients actions resulted in part of Mitchell St being cordoned off along side the new worksite.

Thanks again to all...

NC :D

Capt Vegemite
16th Sep 2002, 03:23
The patient will no doubt assist police with their enquiries after release from hospital?

MIss Behaviour
16th Sep 2002, 13:46
Maybe, but they'd better be forthcoming with some pizza or lookout - as some diners found out the hard way. :cool:

Capt Vegemite
16th Sep 2002, 21:01
Jeezuz...it any wonder vege avoids disappointment and stays home?