PDA

View Full Version : VOZ over Owen Stanley's

catseye
31st Jul 2023, 17:59
- 800 range question.
Watching VOZ going over the high bits this morning over PNG. Does the - 800 have long term oxygen or is there a procedure to go around/go back to the eastern end onto the low level route? Is there sufficient gas to still get to CNS or do you visit POM?

tail wheel
31st Jul 2023, 21:07
????

:confused:

Desert Flower
31st Jul 2023, 23:04
????

:confused:

Tally - I'm just as ferhoodled as you are!

DF.

Chronic Snoozer
31st Jul 2023, 23:23
OEI ops?

43Inches
1st Aug 2023, 00:32
I think it's more alluding to a depressurized scenario where you'd have to maintain an altitude above 10k feet. Possibly above FL 130 and the additional O2 carried to facilitate this. One would think a diversion would be on the cards, rather than continuation due to the fuel requirements anyway.

The Baron
1st Aug 2023, 00:36
I think the original poster is referring to Virgin's sporty new CNS - HND run. From what I've heard, it's a 700 running on fumes. Volunteers and management pilots.

Duck Pilot
1st Aug 2023, 01:43
I’m pretty sure Nadzab would be a suitable alternate these days, particularly given the recent infrastructure upgrades including the runway. There are certainly good RNAV approaches to get in there at night now.

Air Niugini operate the 737 into there. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone starts operating direct to Cairns from Nadzab as I’m sure there would be the demand.

1a sound asleep
1st Aug 2023, 02:48
They are operating the 737MAX not the 800

maui
1st Aug 2023, 02:49
I think 43" is on the money.
Used to come through that area many moons ago. Problem was depressurisation and terrain. From memory on the route we used, it was basically south from Madang and reverse on return. Depress north of 4 south then head back over Madang. Depress south of 4 South then escape route south east. Only a problem for a short while when over the really high hills. Either scenario POM available as a diversion if necessary (and available). OEI not necessarily an issue.
Maui

plainmaker
2nd Aug 2023, 00:27
Flew the -800 out of Lae last weekend - due to the numbers of pax displaced from the 'no gottim fuel lo balus'

Duck Pilot
2nd Aug 2023, 08:20
Not sure what’s happening at Komo these days with regards to length, lighting and fuel however it’s got an ILS approach and it’s pretty much in the middle of the highlands, albeit at about 5,200 ft. It’s not far off the direct track that they take.

Mumbai Merlin
2nd Aug 2023, 21:47
KOMO... fuel is sparce at best

Length suited to Dash 8 or C-130 types, runway length considerable reduced from the construction phase and the Ruskie aircraft..

Kagamuga
2nd Aug 2023, 21:51
Duck,
Have you left the Dash Ops ? Finished in PNG?

Duck Pilot
3rd Aug 2023, 08:00
Duck,
Have you left the Dash Ops ? Finished in PNG?

Check your Private Mailbox Wantok👍

Global Aviator
3rd Aug 2023, 22:25
The 737-800 MAX has long legs, look where SQ fly.

CNS HND is punchy but not the max range of the MAX.

As for OEI, depress, etc I’m fairly sure that that little governing body CASA would be watching anything to the MAX.

Just a VA attack thread?

Now I’m fooked if I’d want to be in a 737 for 7 hours!!!

Capt Fathom
3rd Aug 2023, 23:15
Just a VA attack thread?

I believe the OP was after information on oxy endurance and escape / diversion routes from over the high terrain of PNG!!