PDA

View Full Version : flying N registered a/c in oz

druglord
31st Aug 2002, 21:56
What's the go with flying 'N' or any other foreign-registered a/c extensively on domestic ops within oz? Do you need US licenses aussie licenses no license?

Creampuff
31st Aug 2002, 23:20
private or commercial?

TIMMEEEE
1st Sep 2002, 01:15
Wasn't there a president or something similar of some pilots association in GA that flew around in a chieftain with winglets and Q tip props with a US rego??

Why was this person representing Australian pilots in GA doing so in a US registered a/c I wonder???

Planned Root
1st Sep 2002, 08:51
BIK ...

The only problem I see with your suggestion is that the pendulum has swung the opposite way with the price of used aircraft in the USA compared to Oz. Hence the number of aircraft that have left our shores that have been purchased by buyers in the USA.

But then again, as you also suggest the price difference may be worth it in the end.

LeadSled
1st Sep 2002, 13:41
TIMMEEEEEEEE

Perhaps he was setting an example to other Australian aircraft owners that this was the smart way to go, and increase your chances of financial survival in aviation, or as an aircraft owner.

Operating an aircraft on the Australian register, if you can possibly avoid it (and that's not too hard, even for AOC operations) is seriously dumb, unless you like giving money away.

Have you ever wondered why so many executive aircraft owned by Australian corporations are NOT on the Australian register.

Remember, CASA puts the harm in harmonisation.

Tootle pip!!

Creampuff
1st Sep 2002, 21:51
LeadSled: we are at one again!Operating an aircraft on the Australian register, if you can possibly avoid it (and that's not too hard, even for AOC operations) is seriously dumb, unless you like giving money away. I suspect that very few of the ‘expert consultants’ could adequately advise someone on how to make it happen, so very few business plans ever consider the option.

djpil
1st Sep 2002, 22:43
A few more ifs and buts:
Its easy enough to maintain the US pilot licence but my local FAA medical examiner is in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
Your mechanic will also need to be an FAA A&P or IA.

Torres
1st Sep 2002, 22:53
TIMMEEE. Whilst it may be fashionable to have a dig at the owner of that "chieftain with winglets and Q tip props" I think the answer may be more mundane. It was a Panther Navajo, very extensively modified and I think (but may be wrong) in the US Experimental Category. It may not be possible to register it in Australia as some of the mods did not have an STC, or if it were, the CASA BS factor would make Australian Registration a horrendous exercise.

Feather #3
2nd Sep 2002, 00:12
The FAR's permit operation of their a/c in a foreign country by a licence holder in that country type-rated on the a/c. That's fact, but now from memory, I think it's only for Private ops.

So, I could buy a US registered a/c and operate it here privately with no problem. THE problem is that it's annual and/or repair work MUST be done at an FAA licensed Repair Station. :rolleyes:

They can be hard to find an expensive in some cases.

You'd have to talk to CASA about doing it commercially. :eek:

G'day ;)

Oh, and if the Panther PA-31 driver's qualifications bother you, for the operation of that a/c, he has US ATR, I/R & CFI. :p

Bevan666
2nd Sep 2002, 00:40
How many companies in australia have a licensed FAA LAME on staff? I know of Hawker Pacific in sydney, but thats it.

Bevan..

Airframe Driver
2nd Sep 2002, 01:12
I once flew an N regd Debonair in Alice Springs. (Pvt ops) After discussions with CASA and research on the FAA website, I was legally able to fly this acft in Oz. For memory, because the US and Oz are members of the Chicago Convention, and I held a PPL or higher, all is okay. And here is the great snag. CASA could not (were not allowed to ) ramp us, because it is an "Amercian piece of soil" and they would be trespassing - (that's straight from the CASA agent's mouth).

And there were probs with maintenance. 100 hrlys could be conducted by Oz LAMEs, but the 2 yearly check(or whatever) could only be conducted by Hawkers at BK.

Creampuff
2nd Sep 2002, 08:34
BIK

Your analyses on most issues are generally comprehensive and accurate. However, I think on this issue you might be slightly and unusually off-track.

The local Australian legislation makes specific provision for AOCs authorizing the operation of foreign-registered aircraft on purely domestic flights (called “regulated domestic flights” in the legislation): see in particular paragraph 28(1)(c) and section 28A of the Civil Aviation Act. Anyone can apply for one.

If a person applies to conduct (say) charter in (say) N-registered (say) C-208s from (say) Bankstown, the applicant has fewer Aussie regulatory hurdles to jump than if she applied to conduct the same operations from the same place but in VH-registered C208s. Most of the airworthiness-related obligations in relation to the operation would be imposed under the FARs and regulated by the FAA.

The two main reasons few people do it are both mindset related: The usual response to suggestions such as those made by LeadSled above is similar to yours – “it’s impossible” – which is of course self-fulfilling. Secondly, there’s the PR/nationalistic aspect – what’s wrong with good ol’ Aussie aircraft – which is of course an emotional rather than objective response.

Planned Root
2nd Sep 2002, 10:44
Thanks BIK. As usual, very informative.