PDA

View Full Version : Vale Charles Dalglish

mcoates
24th Jul 2023, 22:16
Charles Dalglish - A Remarkable Australian Aviator, Maule Aircraft Importer, and Helicopter Pioneer

It is with deep sorrow that we announce the passing of Charles Dalglish, an extraordinary individual whose life was dedicated to aviation and pioneering advancements in the field. Charles left us on Saturday 22nd July 2023, surrounded by his loved ones, leaving behind a legacy that will forever be etched in the annals of aviation history.

Charles Dalglish was born in the United Kingdom and discovered his passion for flying at an early age, he was the first private helicopter pilot in the UK. In pursuit of his dreams, he ventured to Australia, where he quickly established himself as a prominent figure in the aviation community. His career as an aviator took flight, and he soared to unparalleled heights in the realm of flight.

With a keen eye for excellence and innovation, Charles recognised the potential of Maule aircraft and became an importer, introducing these remarkable aircraft to the Australian aviation market. His dedication to ensuring quality and reliability earned him the respect of fellow aviators and enthusiasts alike.

However, Charles Dalglish's pioneering spirit did not end with fixed-wing aircraft. He delved into the realm of helicopters, recognising the transformative impact they could have on various industries. With characteristic determination, he strived to make helicopters more accessible and beneficial to the Australian public, leaving an indelible mark on the country's aviation landscape.

Beyond his professional endeavors, Charles was a warm-hearted and compassionate soul. He possessed a rare gift of connecting with people from all walks of life, and his generosity and mentorship endeared him to countless individuals in the aviation community. His wisdom and guidance were sought after by aspiring aviators and seasoned pilots alike.

Charles Dalglish's achievements and contributions have left an enduring imprint on Australia's aviation heritage. His love for the skies and the freedom of flight (and stretching the rules) was infectious, inspiring future generations to pursue their dreams fearlessly. His lifelong dedication to aviation will continue to inspire and guide the industry for years to come.

As we bid farewell to Charles Dalglish, we remember the great aviator, visionary, and mentor he was. He leaves behind cherished memories in the hearts of his family, friends, and all those whose lives he touched.

Fair winds and blue skies, dear Charles. May you forever soar among the heavens, watching over the skies you loved so dearly. Your memory will forever live on as an inspiration to aviators around the world. We wish you strong tail winds, knowing you are probably on the wrong heading (again).

Rest in peace, Charles Dalglish, Lord Doag of Chithurst.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x768/img_0302_b954225ab4e6f019a73cff585023d8ee7cd88633.jpg
Charles Dalglish helped raise over $500,000 for the Royal Blind Foundation on several trips around Queensland flying his beloved Pipistrel Sinus aircraft.

Squawk7700
24th Jul 2023, 22:32
Rest In Peace Charles, you were the nicest aviator I’ve ever come across, with passionate and enthusiastic aviation stories. I recall your story of dodging a Wedgetail Eagle in your NOTAR, it sounded quite hair raising and not in the way you’d normally think of hair raising. I’m glad you didn’t go out of this life in that little Safari thing you built, that sounded like a death-trap!

mcoates
24th Jul 2023, 23:00
The most captivating tale he ever shared with me was about flying a helicopter in the UK.

It was a day of treacherous weather, and he found himself navigating through extremely low altitudes. Unfortunately, his map proved useless, leaving him disoriented and uncertain of his location. In this perplexing situation, he spotted a magnificent, expansive building with a pristine lawn in front, an ideal spot for a landing. He made the decision to touch down and seek assistance from the building's owners to determine his whereabouts and the correct direction to his destination.

Although I suspected he knew his way all along, it turned out that the impressive building was none other than Windsor Castle. Surprisingly, private helicopters were a rarity in the UK at that time, causing quite a stir. As he approached the castle, the curiosity of the royal family was piqued, and they eagerly awaited the revelation of who would emerge from the helicopter. The story unfolds as they graciously provided Charles with the necessary directions, while also instructing him not to land there again.

This remarkable escapade granted him the opportunity to meet the Queen on one of several occasions.

With Charles, distinguishing between a good story and facts was often challenging, yet this narrative remained consistent throughout the span of 35 years that i knew him, leading me to believe that it held a large amount of truth.

Ascend Charlie
25th Jul 2023, 00:24
Charles also amazed a few people when he decided to convert his Hughes 500 into a NOTAR, which he did at John Cameron Aviation.

The NOTARs have a large hemispherical fitting on the end of the tail cone. His registration was VH-FLY, he painted the tail end bright blue, because he always wanted to go "like a blue-arsed fly."