PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 with CKD

D.Aguado
24th Jul 2023, 15:21
Hello all,
Does anybody on here know if it's possible to get a class 1 with stage 4 kidney disease? I'm a 36 year old otherwise healthy male. I am stable, and have been on top of it for a year now since I got diagnosed with it and actually have improved my condition slightly.

Is it possible to still get and maintain a class 1 in this state?

I'm currently not a pilot, but do want to start training asap all the way up to my ATP, medical permitting.

Thank you in advance!

-David

ShyTorque
24th Jul 2023, 18:27
I doubt you’ll get an unrestricted Class 1. Due to a similar ailment requiring a nephrectomy, my Class 1 only entitled me to fly “As or with Co-pilot”, even though it was acknowledged that I was no longer deemed ill.

My Class 2 privileges were not restricted, but that’s no good for most meaningful employments.

D.Aguado
24th Jul 2023, 21:15
I doubt you’ll get an unrestricted Class 1. Due to a similar ailment requiring a nephrectomy, my Class 1 only entitled me to fly “As or with Co-pilot”, even though it was acknowledged that I was no longer deemed ill.

My Class 2 privileges were not restricted, but that’s no good for most meaningful employments.

Thank you for your answer. What exactly does "As or with Co-pilot" mean? Sorry, but it doesn't come to mind. Is that like maybe only a first officer, never a captain or?

ShyTorque
24th Jul 2023, 21:27
Two crew ops only. It wouldn’t necessarily restrict you to being a Co-pilot/first officer.

D.Aguado
25th Jul 2023, 01:20
Thank you for the reply bud. Even if it did, that would be okay with me. Just need a bit of luck on my side I guess.