PDA

View Full Version : PT6 'exploding' midair

DIBO
23rd Jul 2023, 23:00
Not in the habit of promoting Youtube clips, but this a 40min. clip worthwhile to watch
https://youtu.be/pgpf5ktKVBc

DaveReidUK
24th Jul 2023, 06:03
Hmmm. A Lancair with a PT6 - some things just aren't meant to be ... :O

treadigraph
24th Jul 2023, 09:11
Main thing is that Mike's down, safe and, knowing him, back to work!

Isn't there at least one UK Lancair with a turbine? Probably not a PT6 though... Edit: if there is, I can't find it! Sure I saw a UK homebuilt with a turbine somewhere... (and not Rich Goodwin's new Pitts!)

DaveReidUK
24th Jul 2023, 10:52
Isn't there at least one UK Lancair with a turbine? Probably not a PT6 though... Edit: if there is, I can't find it! Sure I saw a UK homebuilt with a turbine somewhere... (and not Rich Goodwin's new Pitts!)

I'm not aware of any turbine Lancairs in the UK. Even in the US, they are rare - a handful of Lancair IVs flying with Garrett or Walter turboprops, plus the sole (I think) PT6-powered Legacy that's the subject of the thread.

Evolution Aircraft also market various PT6 options on their pressurised Lancair - Wikipedia reckons 70+ in service, but I suspect that number includes the Lycoming-powered variants as well.

Capt Fathom
24th Jul 2023, 11:51
A PT6 doesn’t care what airframe it is bolted onto! :E

SFCC
24th Jul 2023, 18:54
I suspect Treadigraph is thinking of G-ICBM, a turbine Glasair.

treadigraph
24th Jul 2023, 19:09
SFCC yep, I think that's the one! Haven't seen it in the flesh tho...

sablatnic
24th Jul 2023, 19:43
There used to be a turbine Chipmunk too - saw it at Farnborough about 55 years ago. A Rover turbine?

treadigraph
24th Jul 2023, 19:55
There used to be a turbine Chipmunk too - saw it at Farnborough about 55 years ago. A Rover turbine?
Correct G-ATTS, also an Auster and Currie Wot G-APWT!

EXDAC
24th Jul 2023, 20:11
What bothered me about Mike's review of the Garmin G3X Touch data log was that he seemed to believe it could provide an indication of how quickly the gas generator and prop stopped rotating.

I have an experimental aircraft with a Garmin G3X Touch system and I have reviewed recorded data many times. I found that the data is so heavily lagged that it is useless for analysing "fast" events. The time constant seems to be between 3 and 5 seconds.

As an example - I added a Hall effect current transducer to my pitot heater. Anyone who is familair with resistive heater elements knows that the inrush current has a large surge that quickly reduces as the heater warms up. G3X data log, and displayed heater current, both show a slow increase to the steady state hot current value. The inrush surge is completely hidden.

I have wished many times that Garmin would make the unfiltered data available in the log, perhaps as a user option. If I want to filter the data it's easy enough to do that as part of the post flight data analysis.

N707ZS
24th Jul 2023, 20:15
Video gave N707MM Lancair Legacy 2000.