PDA

View Full Version : Experienced a go around for the first time. What are the possible causes?

nedite8864
23rd Jul 2023, 07:21
I experienced a go-around on my flight from Denver to Little Rock today. Very smooth flight with very little turbulence on the approach. We were very close to touching down and all of a sudden the engines powered up and we gained altitude quickly. After 5ish minutes the pilot came on and apologized for the delay but didn’t mention anything about the reason. I’ve flown hundreds of times without this happening so now I’m super curious, what could have possibly happened?

DaveReidUK
23rd Jul 2023, 11:50
The most common reason, statistically, is the runway not being clear - for example the previous lander being slower to vacate than anticipated.

Liffy 1M
23rd Jul 2023, 16:31
You may be able to do a replay on FlightRadar 24 to see if there was other traffic that may have been a factor.

Gne
23rd Jul 2023, 16:56
Most likely cause - common sense on the part of the pilot.

Gne

Peter47
23rd Jul 2023, 18:17
I've had three. At Kai Tak (many, many years ago) the pilot couldn't see the chequer board in atrocious visability (we landed from the other end a few minutes later).
Twice in one flight at London City - the wind changed directions and was outside limits (this was from both directions and we ended up at Stansted).
Other possible reasons:
- Aircraft ahead slow in departing the runway / obstruction on runway
- Plane not stabilised
- Sudden gust of wind or problems in a crosswind (a favourite of youtube spotter sites)
- Pilot cannot make visual contact with the runway
Others I cannot think of right now.

I'm only an enthisiast, a professional would need to quantify how often these happen.

pax britanica
23rd Jul 2023, 20:11
I have had rather a lot of GA statistically speaking , most were due to traffic failing to clear or not gettign airborne quickly enough.

I am always impressed how aircraft like a 747 which climbed pretty slowly on a normal take off but on a go arounds x thousand pounds of fuel later it climbed completly effortlessly.

Oddest, animals on Runway in Rangoon many years ago

DIBO
23rd Jul 2023, 21:18
You may be able to do a replay on FlightRadar 24 to see if there was other traffic that may have been a factor.
SKW5693 (UA5693) had no traffic arriving/departing before its approaches, and no other (piloted) airborne traffic. Don't know if birds are active (flock wise), lots of water nearby...
And what :eek: no metars posted yet? Standards are dropping :O ... but weather was fine.
No Live ATC coverage, so we'll probably never find out...

so may vote goes to Most likely cause - common sense on the part of the pilot.

sherburn2LA
24th Jul 2023, 01:27
Better to be in the air explaining why you did a go around than to be on the ground explaining why you didn't

Kiltrash
4th Aug 2023, 05:25
Yesterday suffered although not my first go around, it was my first diversion...
JST483 flying Brisbane to Newcastle attempted to land but went arround due to weather.... After about 1hr in the hold diverted to Sydney....probably due to fuel. ... After a quick top up and delay on stand, we were allowed off to strety legs at a locked gate so we couldn't loose any customers off again and back in first time at Newcastle... About 4 hours hate 🙁
Captain did keep us fully informed ...good job Jetstar