View Full Version : Bye Bye Manx

PPIMan
31st Aug 2002, 19:19
Manx Airlines drifts yet again into the history books at midnight tonight. From 1 Sep British Airways CitiExpress will take over the route network and operations of the old red/green outfit.

chiglet
31st Aug 2002, 22:47
BUT
AFAIK, Fraggle Rock will still do all Manx/BRY/BACE Flight Planning :rolleyes:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Fiction
1st Sep 2002, 07:21
I flew across to Fraggle rock from BHX last January. The attitude of the 2 Cabin Crew and service was appalling.

Were these 2 crew totally demotivated regarding the merger or WAS Manx service always like this ???? :cool: :cool: :cool:

Landing_24R
1st Sep 2002, 08:49
The 'JE' flight code has dissappeared as of this morning, and has been replaced by the standard 'BA' followed by a 4 digit code beginning with '4', ie. BA4401 etc.

I think the Manx ATP's had already been painted into the Union Flag livery prior to today, so the red and green had sadly already disappeared, at least on the ATP.

Landing_24R

oscarh
1st Sep 2002, 12:18
Manx was the springboard for many a young pilot as JENKINS says and there are many well respected pilots around the industry who started their flying careers there.
Do not make the mistake of confusing British Regional with the real Manx Airlines who even sponsored training for the lucky few at Oxford back in the eighties.
Goodbye to a great little airline.

chiglet
1st Sep 2002, 22:53
24R
Purely out of "interest" the ATC c/s is "British" with the old numbers:rolleyes: eg, BRT330:p
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

PAXboy
1st Sep 2002, 23:40
I have been flying to IOM for over 20 years, since my mother moved there and I shall be very sad to see Manx go.

As to attendent's attitude, I think you struck an unlucky day. I have always found them cheerful and competent. On their very short sectors they have a lot to do and have done it well.

Cue Memory Lane. When I were a lad ...

Well, not really as I was 25 when mum went to live there! However, the first flights were from LHR in the Viscount!! Fantastic!!!!! Uncomfortable seats and big windows and a take off that was very gentle.

Most of my flights have been from LHR as I lived in London and now in West Herfordshire. Quite often, if we had to hold on Bovingdon, I could see my home very clearly.

The 146 arrived in late '87 (I think?) as I was on the first commercial flight from LHR with MINA, although unintentionally so. This was the afternoon rotation but the formal launch was going to be the busy early evening. The crew had just come down from IOM on the first of the four sectors that they would operate and were all pleased as punch with the new machine. It was champagne all round.

Now that it has gone to LGW, I used it once with their introductory fare and because I was near there for business but LGW is far out of my way, so it is LTN as my regular.

You have to know just how FURIOUS the Island is with the flights going to LGW. This may well have led to the sour faces. Of the people I talked to last year, no one was keen on the purchase.

For example, my mother is going long haul in December for the wedding of a grandson. The ONLY flights to her destination are from LHR. This means that she has to go to LTN or LGW and then use friends/taxi/coach to get to LHR.

My mother is 76 and has arthritis, a long haul is difficult for her and she cannot add the cost of an extra night hotel to the cost. In the past, she would skip from T1 to 3 or 4 with ease. If she went to MAN or any other stop first, it would add another sector to an already long trip.

I do hope that folks who water the plants in Waterworld are pleased about the extra six slots per day at LHR that they purchased. They could have made one rotation a day to LGW and two to LHR or even the other way around?

Landing_24R
2nd Sep 2002, 08:05
Thanks Chiglet, I wonder why they changed the flight numbers but not the callsigns- it seems to be a network-wide thing. I bet you're sick of that 'British' callsign by now aren't you? :D So many airlines have converted to using it... ;)

Cheers,
Landing_24R

ManxSpeedBird
2nd Dec 2002, 00:59
I cant believe that Manx has disappeared.

I worked for the company about 3 years ago as a trolley dolly, it was a fantastic company to work for, there was some brill people down there. I hope that the team spirt is still the same at Ronaldsway!!!