PDA

View Full Version : Mitral Valve Prolapse and a sudden TML from the CAA

chief
20th Jul 2023, 09:36
Can anyone offer some advice.

Extremely stressed thanks to a TML imposed all of a sudden by the CAA. I had a class one renewal by a Cardiologist AME who gave me a full bill of health in June with an unrestricted Class one and then suddenly an e-mail by the CAA a week ago and now I am pulling my hair out!

Long story short, I was diagnosed as having a Mitral Valve Prolapse about 20 years ago when I undertook my initial Class one medical at an AMC. The echo showed marginal gestational regurgitation and only requirement by the CAA on me was to have an echo done every couple of years - there was no limitation applied to my Class One. Recently, with age my valve is now showing "mild regurgitation" and the CAA have picked this up and placed a temporary TML of 1 month on my medical to gain an echo so they can review an up to date echo and compare it to the one I had in Dec 2022 and previous years. .

Has anyone been in a similar situation by having a TML (for what ever reason) and if so, how long did they take to review your case?
I appreciate everyone's case is different and so the process may take some time, but has anyone had a similar experience? How long did it take for them to process and review your situation? The CAA staff answering the phone are extremely empathetic, however, they are not involved in the decision making....

This TML is enough to make my heart worsen as a result of the stress.

Uplinker
20th Jul 2023, 10:01
I would not stress. Your company, your union and your insurance(s) should look after you. Even if they don't, the 'echo' will probably give you the all clear. Even if it doesn't, there is nothing you can do about it, it is fate. So relax and start having a general think about 'what if', and how you would cope, e.g. apply TDODAR

I have been in the situation where the airline I was employed by went out of business; my salary stopped abruptly, and I had to start all over again and pass the selection process for another airline. This happened with two airlines, one after the other !!
Then, as I was part way through the pilot selection process for the third airline, Covid struck, so that was the end of that. We couldn't get new employment, owing to rampant ageism everywhere, (yes, it is illegal, but employers find many ways around it), so we couldn't pay our mortgage. So we decided to sell our house and downsize.

This was a major disruption and abrupt change of our life plan, but, actually it was fine. It turned out quite well and we survived quite well.

So, try to relax. It will probably just be a temporary period of sick leave, but even if the worst happens, you will survive one way or another. :ok:

PS, if the worst does happen, remember to talk to your mortgage provider straight away; they will almost certainly allow you to pay interest only for a period, to give you a little more financial margin.