PDA

View Full Version : Odd things happening with posts

Uplinker
19th Jul 2023, 12:10
#1 If I try to write a reply using the yellow 'quick reply' tab, it just doesn't work, but it does if I use the blue 'reply' tab instead.

#2 If I edit my own post to correct typos etc, the text to be edited comes back full of computer syntax such as <br /><br /br at every line break. This is a nuisance and requires going through the whole post to remove those syntax, before reposting.

Also the edit box initially comes up empty and I have to press edit again to bring up the text to be edited.

What am I doing wrong, if anything?

IBJoel
19th Jul 2023, 16:28
Make sure you have accepted cookies, clear your cache, and don't run any blocking software

Bergerie1
19th Jul 2023, 17:23
When I try to edit a post the box goes blank and then comes up with stuff like

Bergerie1
19th Jul 2023, 17:24
When I try to edit a post the box goes blank and then comes up with stuff like <br />

Bergerie1
19th Jul 2023, 17:27
See above ..... exactly like IBJoel and now I can't delete too. Why has this suddenly happened when I haven't changed anything in my computer?

longer ron
19th Jul 2023, 21:54
Yep havent changed anything on my PC either - still having both issues !

Gordomac
20th Jul 2023, 09:14
Same prob appears more widespread. I got very positive direction from a Mod but other processes appeared fearsome. Overviewing similar advice is just as daunting for a little thicko like me. I mean, "clear your cache" ; What on earth does that mean and how do I do that ? I shot up to my ATM and emptied the daily allowance but still could not post replies..

"Accepting Cookies" is a big no no. Doesn't that mean that you get weighed down with adverts that pop up all over the place, sometimes right in the middle of n interesting post ? I once miss-typed Pee Proone and showed interest in keeping" abreast" of tech changes; I won't bore readers with stuff that came pouring into my junk-box !

Trying this via the blue "reply" box given by other posters....................fingers crossed..................

Uplinker
20th Jul 2023, 10:26
I did clear my cache*, (with help from my son.......:) ), but, like others, I will continue to use an ad blocker, and I will not accept cookies, unless they are absolutely essential.

If Pprune would reduce the IN YOUR FACE intrusiveness and quantity of the adverts down to something more reasonable, I might consider removing my ad blocker, (I don't need one for any other site I use). But the adverts are just so intrusive and distracting, they make Pprune unusable for me without a blocker. So the attempt to make more revenue has resulted in less revenue from this particular member, FWIW.

Please, Pprune, I implore you; rein it all back and don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg :ok:

* on iPad ; = Settings - Safari - Advanced - website data - then clear pprune.org

IBJoel
20th Jul 2023, 14:50
Do you accept cookies on the site? I believe you don't have to accept 3rd party ones, but some are essential. If you block ads, and if you reject all cookies, the site doesn't function properly. Ads are the way we keep the forum free for all users.

Bergerie1
20th Jul 2023, 17:29
But how can I know which cookies are essential?

netstruggler
20th Jul 2023, 19:58
But how can I know which cookies are essential?

If you click you click on 'Cookie Policy' at the bottom of the page you can read about the various cookie types and find out how to turn them on or off.

It seems to me that the default is for all but essential cookies to be turned off?

Asturias56
21st Jul 2023, 07:29
"But the adverts are just so intrusive and distracting,"

agreed - but the option is paying for it

When a site starts out with a feww dozen mebers you can afford to run it for "free" - but once it mushrooms you need professional support and kit - and that costs money

Someone has to pay - and in Pprunes case thats the advertisers