PDA

View Full Version : DH9A missing 23 September 1920 Tasmania

peter manktelow
18th Jul 2023, 07:55
Greetings from Tasmania

I am a member of the Tasmanian Aviation Historical Society. Some time ago (our newsletter #6) we published an article on the disappearance of an RAAF DH9A biplane piloted by Captain William Stutt accompanied by his engineer Sergeant Dalzell. The aircraft and crew went missing on 23rd September 1923 whilst searching for a missing schooner the "Amelia J". The area they were searching was the Furneaux Island group and coastal eastern Tasmania. No trace was ever found , however an unverified crash site was mentioned as being found in the 1950's which yielded an oil filter and other bits of suspected aircraft debris.

If the missing aircraft did not go in to the ocean then it lies onshore somewhere. There is some argument that supports an onshore crash site..After 103 years there would not be much to show of a fabric and wood machine..........except the engine block which weighed in excess of 400 kilograms.

We will continue our project to unravel this mystery. Finding the engine block would answer a number of questions. At the moment our research is mainly via the paper trail limited though that is.

If anyone has any information or 21st century) ideas that would assist , it would be greatly appreciated..

Peter Manktelow
Executive Member
TAHS
tahs.org.au

dduxbury310
18th Jul 2023, 21:53
The engine "block" of the American-built Liberty V-12 referred to never existed - this engine had 12 individual cylinders with thin metal water jackets. Largest part of this engine would have been the 2-part crankcase (upper and lower aluminium castings), and the crankshaft would probably have been about as heavy as the crankcase itself, if not more so. Unlike most aero-engines of the era, the Liberty engines were not "fired" by magnetos, having a battery and coil system, also made in America by Delco if I remember correctly.

DHfan
19th Jul 2023, 01:14
I don't really know anything about aero-engines of that era but I had been thinking that a 400kg, or the thick end of half a ton, lump seemed unlikely and I'd completely forgotten that separate cylinders were pretty much universal then.

According to wiki, the whole aircraft only weighed a ton and a quarter.

megan
19th Jul 2023, 02:53
The aircraft and crew went missing on 23rd September 1923G'day Peter, other records state the date 23 September 1920

Imperial Gift D.H.9a.
Aircraft was packed in UK 03/12/19 and apparently shipped on 09/01/20.
In service with CFS AAC in 1920, when it crashed in Bass Strait on 23/09/20 (crew Capt W J Stutt and Sgt A G Dalzell killed).
Struck off charge 31/12/20 before the RAAF 'A series' started in 08/21

Aircraft was replaced by DH9A A1-30, the final serial

This aircraft was not gifted to Australia, it was purchased to replace E8616, by the approval of the Air Council on 14/06/21, at an estimated cost of 2953 pounds.
This aircraft was reconditioned by de Havilland at Stag Lane (aircraft c/n 42) and was delivered in mid 1923.
Served with 1 FTS from 07/23, crashed at Point Cook 16/08/26. (crew Cdt K M Frewen),
To 1 AD 19/08/26 for storage.
Approved for conversion to components 12/07/27

I had been thinking that a 400kg, or the thick end of half a ton, lump seemed unlikelThe dry weight for the Liberty engine is given as 845 pounds, it was noted as It vibrated, weighed more than it should, and had a reputation for unreliability. The latter could well be the cause of the loss of E8616, the link notes the maladies.

https://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/Before1925/Liberty/LibertyNotes.shtml

First_Principal
19th Jul 2023, 23:15
I see that 'newsletter #6' has the correct year for this loss (1920). As an aside #6 seemed to contain a lot of interesting information and articles, I'm quite keen to read all of the newsletters when time allows.

Peter, you mention an 'unverified crash site'. Are there any further details around this, co-ordinates, more on the debris etc?

FP.

Noyade
19th Jul 2023, 23:36
Hi Peter.
Was the "ball of fire seen to drop into the sea" story from witnesses - eventually discredited?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/700x529/scan1403_d7e8399ae368333ec1db9c5bdac86431cf68dfe5.jpg

peter manktelow
3rd Aug 2023, 12:34
apologies typo 1920 not 1923.
probable wreck site 95% but confidential to avoid souvenering

peter manktelow
3rd Aug 2023, 12:39
need to re-visit article about the ball of fire , but I think you are right that it was discredited.

peter manktelow
3rd Aug 2023, 13:10
3 items of debris. A small radiator , possibly the auxiiary radiator fitted for Middle East very hot wx operations. Wire that appeared to be the structural component of the two main wheel tyres and of the correct diameter. Rubber burnt off ? And thirdly a section of aluminium with "D of D" printed on it. T

peter manktelow
3rd Aug 2023, 13:14
the second "D" partly obliterated and could be an "A". This piece of aluminium supposedly had some flush riveting on it. All items left at the crash site in the 1950's. Subsequent visits failed to re-find them.

peter manktelow
3rd Aug 2023, 13:21
The site is difficult to get to. Snake infested. Spider infested. Blade grass. Swampy. And Ross River disease mosquito. Very thick scrub to get to the site.

peter manktelow
17th Aug 2023, 12:10
Noyade. I have to find again where the "fireball" theory was discredited but further to that the Cafe Royale affair had 3 x DH9A looking for Smithy's downed aircraft. One of the DH9A had an engine fire on start up at Wave Hill station which destroyed the machine. The Liberty L12 engine was thrown on the rubbish heap then found later and is now on exhibition at the Darwin Aviation Museum minus all but 5 of its cylinders but easily recognised as an L12 that was standard for the DH9A. I then went back to the history of all 31 DH9A that were acquired by the RAAF. Not one had an in flight fire. They sure had a lot of engine failures but no fires..
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1205/dh9a_2_abc33c600a53c3acc1d0ba61821be28a5a91fd1b.gif

Peter