PDA

View Full Version : Pilots thanking passengers as they deplane

iyuw
18th Jul 2023, 00:42
Random question. Which airlines have the pilots stand at the door thanking passengers as they exit the aircraft after a flight? Is this the norm for most airlines and is it written into their SOPs as a recommendation? Or is something done entirely of their own volition?

Alloy
18th Jul 2023, 05:28
It is voluntary, although some airlines ban it!

DaveReidUK
18th Jul 2023, 06:47
Can't have the people who pay your wages thinking that you're grateful ...

Asturias56
18th Jul 2023, 07:15
They're hoping for a tip - "10% is the going rate Sir"

Wycombe
18th Jul 2023, 07:40
Paxxed with BA (Euroflyer) AGP-LGW on Sunday morning/lunchtime

Departure delayed once boarded due "Air Traffic Control dispute/restrictions" (over France) by approx 45 mins. Capt also told us a longer route (via Lyon area) was also required which would mean a flight time of approx 3hrs back to LGW (around 30 mins longer than is usual)

After 30 mins on stand we were informed of an improvement, pushed back and departed without further delay. Crossed Pyrenees and headed roughly north-east across France, before an approx 90deg left turn towards a more normal routing (up the west coast) and an update from the FD that an improved routing had been negotiated and we would now arrive LGW 30 mins earlier than previously stated worse case.

Duly followed standard routing into LGW (no holding) and landed. Taxied to a stop on 26R/08L. Announcement from Capt that our stand was occupied and least worse plan was to wait for it to become free. There we sat for 30 mins (thereby loosing the time gained back from the renegotiated routing!) before finally parking on stand around 1hr20min after scheduled arrival time.

Fair play to him, the Capt was stood smiling at the FD door as we deplaned. Thanked him, told him "I felt his pain" which was greeted with a knowing chuckle. Good to see on what was a trying sector.

V_2
18th Jul 2023, 09:13
I used to go out every sector but during Covid we were explicitly told not to and since then I’ve not just got back into the habit really. For major delays I will make the effort though ;)

my favourite is after an autoland to send the FO out and listen to them taking the credit for the nice landing

Mogwi
18th Jul 2023, 10:00
Tricky to get there on a 747!

Mog

arthur harbrow
18th Jul 2023, 10:59
Have flown Latam Santiago to Madrid twice back in 2019.
Each time captain or first officer was at the cockpit door as we disembarked.
My favourite, captain with big droopy moustache proffered to me " adios amigo".
Great airline, far superior to Iberia.

Asturias56
19th Jul 2023, 07:22
Have flown Latam Santiago to Madrid twice back in 2019.
Each time captain or first officer was at the cockpit door as we disembarked.
My favourite, captain with big droopy moustache proffered to me " adios amigo".
Great airline, far superior to Iberia.

that's because in S America flying still is a very attractive job - in most of Europe and N America the social status disappeared 30 years ago

iyuw
19th Jul 2023, 08:58
I used to go out every sector but during Covid we were explicitly told not to and since then I’ve not just got back into the habit really. For major delays I will make the effort though ;)

my favourite is after an autoland to send the FO out and listen to them taking the credit for the nice landing

Thanks! When you used to go out, was this part of a written company recommendation or something that you did on your own entirely?