PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical after cancer

Simpsem
17th Jul 2023, 14:41
Wondering if anyone has some knowledge about getting a class 1 medical after a bout of breast cancer? It was 3 years ago and all clear now. If anyone has any advice on what to take to the medical too that would be really helpful.
Thanks in advance!

FarewellFire
28th Jul 2023, 15:16
Firstly - congratulations on fighting the big C, what matters the most is that you are well after such a bout.

I assume you previously held a Class 1? If so, ask your AME to help dealing with the CAA. They would like to see paperwork on your medicinal status, etc. You will most likely temporarily get a restricted Class 1 - valid only for multipilot ops - and no serious, reputable airline in the world will see this as a problem - rather the opposite as the grit needed to live through what you have is worth its weight in gold in our industry.

Again, congratulations on being cancer free!

HeadUpTheTailpipe
28th Jul 2023, 15:44
Indeed, congratulations Simpsem.

I know many many pilots who've been there, and come back. So no worries.

Simpsem
2nd Aug 2023, 18:48
Cheers both for replying!

I've not had a class 1 before, had class2 when I started PPL. Its expired now since this was before cancer and covid. I know people say get a class 1 asap to see if you can pass and go professional so wanted to start again. Assuming the restriction would mean I couldn't complete PPL because of the solo?

I have tried calling AME a few times but will keep trying and see if they have any advice.