PDA

View Full Version : Sidney Cottons Electra Junior

bean
14th Jul 2023, 02:36
Take a look at this and read the vid description. What a historic aeroplane [https://youtu.be/JkeL-ucX_0A

longer ron
14th Jul 2023, 07:15
Some of the Sidney Cotton story was covered in the Docu Drama - Last Plane Out Of Berlin
The story of his clandestine flights over Germany in the Electra.
We have it on DVD somewhere :)

treadigraph
14th Jul 2023, 10:26
Another former Sidney Cotton Electra flies on in France, was F-BJJY (recall it at the Yeovilton show in 1982!), now F-AZJJ if I recall, was owned by the late Bernard Chabbert...

arthur harbrow
14th Jul 2023, 10:57
Excellent article in the latest issue of Aeroplane Monthly concerning this magnificent aircraft.

Planemike
15th Jul 2023, 14:41
Excellent article in the latest issue of Aeroplane Monthly concerning this magnificent aircraft.
Yes, indeed an excellent article. It also reported that here are FIVE Electra 12s currently airworthy in Europe, obviously a popular a/c.

chevvron
15th Jul 2023, 15:15
'FTL was present at the Blackbushe Air Day on 7 Jun this year.

treadigraph
15th Jul 2023, 17:28
Yes, indeed an excellent article. It also reported that here are FIVE Electra 12s currently airworthy in Europe, obviously a popular a/c.
Can think of four... blimey. Three Lockheed 10s and 12s in European museums as well I think, Holland, Sweden and the Science Museum in London. Former colleague of mine did the structural analysis for hanging it (and several other SM exhibits) from the roof...

megan
16th Jul 2023, 03:27
Can think of fourMeans then there are a few of the 130 built still about. Fathers company which he worked for imported one into Australia in 1937 (VH-ABH) and it still flies today in the hands of a private owner, when in the hands of the company had the very good fortune to do a few trips as a very youthful teenager. The company purchased a second aircraft in 1946 from USAAC Australian stock, originally built for Royal Netherlands Indies Army but diverted to Australia on the outbreak of war, subsequently written off in Malaysia. Two other airframes are in storage in Australia.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x666/l12_d792fa9c7debc9ebf01d9dc23cccc0b6d288f5cd.jpg