PDA

View Full Version : UK Flight Training, Long Beach, CA

JohnnyPharm
31st Aug 2002, 17:12
Hi I am new to this, so scroggs, if I'm in the wrong forum please boot me out, I don't wanna stand on anyone's toes.

Anyway I am now in the possesion of a Class I medical cert :D (well thats the first hurdle cleared).

I was thinking of training (ppl) in LA so I could view some of the silicon encrusted peeps while I was there :eek:

Anyone know anything about UKFT? I phoned them up regarding the JAA PPL and the agent was decent enough but tried to push me toward the "FAA, JAA compliant PPL ". Anyone shed some light on what this is? He says it is totally valid in the UK and is actually better than a JAA as it has a night rating and is cheaper. Is this true and would anyone reccomend it? or should I go for the JAA version straight off?

Any comments on UKFT, Long Beach.

Island Reserve
31st Aug 2002, 21:37
Go for the JAA rating. I went to UKFT for my PPL a few years back, and have since returned for hour building etc..

Personally, I had a great time out there - Excellent instructor, decent enough aircraft. And apart from the infamous LA smog, the WX is usually spot on.

There are also some interesting places to fly to (Vegas, Palm Springs, Laughlin/Nevada etc..)

And yes....some of the local 'scenery' is definitely stunning!! ;)

mike.oriordan
31st Aug 2002, 22:02
I flew with Rainbow Air also out of Long Beach. UKFT now share the same building. Long Beach is a great place to fly and the JAR PPL(A) you will get with UKFT is certainly as goos as you will get anywhere else. California is a great place to fly. It is busy and offers a great variety of flying. The evening and morning fog can be a problem if you are wanting only VFR flying. The Marine Layer as they call it is more persistant in winter, but don't let that put you off.

If you are not flying - California is still the place to be!

JohnnyPharm
31st Aug 2002, 22:29
hat accomodation package would you reccommend?

Julian
1st Sep 2002, 12:33
Do the JAA PPL, you can always get an FAA PPL for free afterwards (assuming you pass :D ). If you want to take any FAA ratings you will have grief with applying for visas, etc at the moment.

I took my JAA PPL with UKFT about 3 years ago and they are no a bad outfit, I have used Rainbow several times since for hour building. They have recently joined up together and also moved into a purpose built accomodation which sounded pretty snazzy from the plans although I am not due to visit again until October so not sure how they turned out....watch this space...

mike.oriordan
1st Sep 2002, 19:21
I found my own accommodation in Seal Beach about 30 minutes cycle ride away. Cycling not recommended - I was taken out by a small truck at traffic lights (my road). Broke a rib, punctured a lung and rode rode 11 miles home . Next day was Sep 11! Anyway spent a week in Pendleton Marine Camp hospital getting fixed. My lawyer said I was very lucky - most people cycling around there get shot!

Accommodation is very much personal preference. I was very lucky with Seal Beach. You get very much what you pay for.