PDA

View Full Version : US ATP TO EASA ATP

call scheduling
11th Jul 2023, 16:03
Hey Everyone,

Very new to this forum although it looks just the same as the US counterpart, AirlinePilotForums. That helps a bit :ok: I'd appreciate some information from all of you pilots out there.

Here is my scenario. I'm in my early 30s, German/US Passport. I've left Europe in 2017 to embark on a journey in the USA and becoming a professional pilot. I did the classic Flight Instructor route to 1500 hours, got a few hundred hours on a business jet, went through my US ATP-CTP, hired by a US regional, was just shy of 1000 hours in the airlines and Captain upgrade, but was recently hired at a major carrier in the States. Technically, I imagine this will be my last step in my career.

I do have a long-term relationship in Europe and really enjoy my off days and the life back here. Family is mostly over here too. So, I am putting out me feelers as far as how much it would cost and how much time I would have to spend to get my US ATP converted to EASA? 3000 Total Time, 1000+ in a turbojet. Just want some factual-ish numbers and if it's worth it.

Will it be something like 1+ years of studying for the 14 ATPL exams? Considering I'll be flying and won't treat it as a full-time thing?

What else? Medical? How many sim sessions would I have to take? What will be the total cost and time, a well-rounded guesstimate is what I'm looking for. Also, I don't really have many aviation friends in Europe. How is the market looking? How feasible is it to get hired by a place like KLM, LH, AeroLogic... given I do all my conversions and pack my bags to try the interview process with one of the above mentioned airlines?

Thanks a lot all you flyers!

Cheers!

bafanguy
11th Jul 2023, 21:24
...was just shy of 1000 hours in the airlines and Captain upgrade, but was recently hired at a major carrier in the States. Technically, I imagine this will be my last step in my career.

I do have a long-term relationship in Europe and really enjoy my off days and the life back here. Family is mostly over here too.

I must be misunderstanding something in your question so I am not sure what your goal is.

You've been hired by a US major carrier but want to get an EASA license but for what reason ? Are you considering abandoning your US position and at some point returning to Europe permanently ? Just trying to have a Plan B in your pocket ?

call scheduling
11th Jul 2023, 22:07
In essence, I have two options:

A) Stick with the current airline, work my way up the system to allow for maximum days off and commute from the EU (where I want to -mostly- live and build up a life). I know that might sound ludicrous and will take some time, but with schedules that have around 20 days off, iI think it's possible. There's a few people who do this.

or: B) Eventually think about converting and starting a career in the EU to be "home" more. Well, that is to at least be on this side of the pond as far as my basing is concerned. This would be more of a family-driven choice.

Call it a Plan B, family decision... any of those. Overall I am just interested in the process, its length, and price.

Thx

redsnail
12th Jul 2023, 08:25
You've got the passport which is great, how is your Dutch or German? They do prefer the local language speakers, so if you have that, great. I am not familiar with the hiring practices of KLM or LH, but I believe it's quite comprehensive.
A year should do for the exams. Best get the medical done first so you have a reference number for correspondence with the licensing authorities. As for the practical, it would depend on which type you are the most comfortable with and having to arrange a sim ride that's observed. That will be expensive. Far more so than in the US.

Personally, if you've made it into the majors already, you have time on your side to ride a few boom/bust cycles. I'd squirrel as much money away for when (and it is only a matter of time) so when the inevitable down turn happens, you're ready for it. The US majors have much better T&Cs than Europe, especially money wise. Bide your time, save some money, go part time and commute.

bafanguy
12th Jul 2023, 10:58
Bide your time, save some money, go part time and commute.

I'm not familiar with any formal part time schedules among US legacies, majors, LCCs, etc. I suppose there could be and I've just missed it.

Most likely a person would need enough seniority to self create such an arrangement while working for an airline that allowed the option for a pilot to dump as much of his original schedule as he wished and rebuild something more to his liking.

call scheduling,

I admire your spunk. You've got your work cut for you. :ok:

call scheduling
14th Jul 2023, 07:08
Thanks for both of your replies! German is my native, and first, language. English my second. My Dutch is on a basic but improving level.
So, overall, I’m looking at something like what? 20K€? More or less is what I’m thinking. Medical, exams, sim rides, sim evaluation ride. All sorts of fees I’m sure.

Yes, with how airlines are managed over there, true part-time positions are nonexistent. You are correct with only “building” and bidding your own schedules with less block time. There are places like Spirit Airlines with which you can drop to zero. That’s almost the only one I know that truly allows this. Others do it in theory, but with current staffing it’s nearly impossible.

As far as $ I know I’m overall in better hands in the US. As far as life, I enjoy that more over here. Just feels more safe, more like home. Hence why I’m contemplating about a switch.