PDA

View Full Version : Channel Airways History

KeMac
8th Jul 2023, 10:38
I am close to completing a history of Channel Airways and was wondering if any ex-Channel staff might have some (clean!) anecdotes or information to share about their time with the airline. Please send me a PM if anyone is interested. A couple of things I was looking for was the name of the hotel in Southend that Jack Jones had an "arrangement" with in the 1950s. The other thing is - does anyone know what happened to the picture of a Concorde in Channel AW livery that was in the offices at Southend Airport or does anyone have a photo of it?
Many Thanks
KeMac

rog747
8th Jul 2023, 12:34
southend hotels of the past (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/14036903.look-back-hotels-southend-past/)

That may jog some Hotel name memories, that Channel Airways’ founder Sqn Ldr Reginald ‘Jack’ Jones AFC may have contracts with, back in the day.

An online feature quote from Geraldine ‘Gerry’ Kay, a Channel Airways stewardess, said, “I loved every minute of my time at Channel Airways.
We used to see a lot of Jack Jones. He was always prowling around. He certainly got his pound of flesh from us through the hours we worked.”
The Key Aero Publications feature:
A story of Channel Airways (https://www.key.aero/article/channel-airways-story-behind-1960s-low-cost-trailblazer)

I did not ever work for Channel, but living quite close to the Airport, I did fly on them in the 1960's and 1970's from both SEN and ZSD (as STN was then known as) on package holiday flights, including flying on the Trident.
We were regular visitors on many FRI and SAT summer evenings to have a slap-up meal in the Southend Airport Restaurant, and watch all of the departing Channel Golden Viscounts going off with holidaymakers to Jersey, Ostend, Basel, and now with a fleet of 10 newly acquired Continental Viscount 812s, numerous services were flown on behalf of Inclusive Tour operators to Spain Yugoslavia Italy Switzerland Austria and the South of France.

We often saw the Channel Airways Coachways Ford Thames Coaches in the Terminal car park, and out and about in Essex.
The Channel Airways London Air Terminal was 250 Pentonville Road, Kings Cross, and the fare to SEN was 7/- or 12/6d return.
The Southend Airport Car Park cost just 3/- a day in 1970, or 15 bob a week.

In 1970 a Channel Timetable notes that the Airline's Charter Fleet consisted of DH Comets with 117 seats, BAC 1-11's 96 seats, Tridents 136 seats, known as Continental Golden Jets, and the Golden Viscounts with 76/83 seats.
The Hawker Siddeley 748 Prop Jet seated 58.
The two Stansted-based Trident 'Continental Golden Jets' were operated on holiday charters to the Canary Islands and Mediterranean resorts like Palma, Ibiza and Rimini.
Channel claimed its three-hour 15-minute Stansted-Las Palmas service by Trident represented the fastest way of getting from Britain to the Canaries.
One of the Tridents and a BAC 1-11 would end up based at Berlin, flying West German tourists.

You maybe aware of The Facebook Groups "Southend Airport Then & Now'' plus the Vickers Viscount, DH Comet 106, and HS Trident Groups too.
If you search on Facebook, and on the Groups for 'Channel Airways', then select 'People' and you will see a number of ex Channel Airways Crew and staff.
You can further refine that search with 'Work' (as in their Workplace).

There is an amazing photo acquired by Graham Lake, taken on the ramp at Stansted of the 4 x Ex BEA/Olympic Comet 4B's (G-APZM, G-APYC, G-APYD & G-ARDI) with the white-tailed G-APMB in the middle (5 Comets in a row)
The photo would have been taken after 15th June 1970 which was when G-APMB, the last Channel Comet to enter service was delivered.
You will find the image on the DH Comet 106 Facebook Group.
Someone has quipped:
''Probably all were Tech and pleading with Dan-Air to borrow spares as they are on record as doing.
Apparently they didn't even have spare tyres for them''.

KeMac
If you would care for an additional pair of eyes to have a look over your Book's 'Draft' then I would be most delighted to assist.
Do PM me if you wish.
Happy to oblige.
Best R.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/534x800/channel_med_holidays_1d7da1626d2489d7579b938ccc575b7e103e9fc a.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x699/0223120_faceaed2ce8381150a560a743bf4f53dcf5d59ea.jpg

The lad under the nose 'far left' is me in 1967.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/87951190_10216941879594960_2076268142429995008_o_3e764117368 59037ac0b794ba97ef4a582a54445.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/540x960/87946070_10216942307165649_7113699438387789824_n_ccb49ec4eef e54283a0c5318a68309af970f007d.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/335x378/cw680701_2293e68a6644d384d8331d3ea88c23f8403d54ad.jpg

Summer 1968

chevvron
8th Jul 2023, 15:06
Like the price list in 'GNS'; bet there aren't many people who know what one is nowadays but I have a small collection of them from 1/3rd (a real one) up to a 5 (a gold plated copy).
Years ago (before the airline went bust) I was living with an ex Channel stewardess but I stupidly broke up with her (my fault); she looked gorgeous in her uniform.

India Four Two
8th Jul 2023, 15:47
Jackets and ties for holiday travel! Those were the days.:)

c52
8th Jul 2023, 20:13
As I write there is a Vueling advert above offering Barcelona-London for £15 single. Even without inflation that compares well with SEN-RTM for £17 return!

Loose rivets
9th Jul 2023, 13:38
It was often a case of getting the aircraft home at low cost at beginning of season and the reverse in the Autumn. Nice on a Britannia with a full cabin crew to oneself.

I've got a few stories about the early sixties, and remember vividly some of the characters I flew with as a young DC3 FO. An incident in Rochester nearly brought my new career to an abrupt end - along with a million lives of our passengers. Seats were in Rochester, boxes of worms were in the back. Ewwwww . . . if we had crashed. Ewwwwwww.

Danny Burges farming the fields of Ipswich airport. Land, change into overalls, start tractor. Nice kind of life. Then there was the Great White Horse. (censored)

Then of course there was Bill Mailor. Flew Over the Hump in Burma. "Skin missing off nose, could see the trees going by under our feet." Call for gear down as he lit his last cigarette of the sector. Most of the cigarette was a long glowing point which he stubbed out just before the wheels peeped on the concrete. Now, that's smoking.

Hans showed me low flying between AMS and ROT. We climbed and turned so we could see the two white lines of foam on the water. "Let's have a go" says I. He just laughed and shook his head. It's all like yesterday. Mike Russell used to imitate his laugh to a T.

Getting punched by Johnny Wallens Sp? Not fair! I'd jumped on the brakes because the aircraft had lurched forwards upon the second engine bursting into life. I just didn't get it. That's what was supposed to happen - lurching forwards - on a five sector day, lurching in the right direction was a good thing. Sprogs who jump on the brakes, BAD.

And then of course in walks Neat Pete. The name given to the captain that walked in and announced to a stunned Sid Walsh and the entire ops room that he'd been appointed as something like Operations Director. I don't know for sure, but it got their attention. You could hear a pin drop. And then things got really interesting. . . .

KeMac
9th Jul 2023, 19:10
ROG747 - Many thanks indeed for your superb response and your very kind offer which I would like to take you up on. Will send PM

Thank You again
KeMac

southend hotels of the past (https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/14036903.look-back-hotels-southend-past/)

KeMac
If you would care for an additional pair of eyes to have a look over your Book's 'Draft' then I would be most delighted to assist.
Do PM me if you wish.
Happy to oblige.
Best R.

Summer 1968

KeMac
9th Jul 2023, 19:12
Many Thanks for all the responses.

Loose Rivets - I would like to PM you if that's OK?

Best Regards
KeMac

Loose rivets
9th Jul 2023, 22:36
Of course.

rog747
10th Jul 2023, 05:03
KeMac - PM duly responded :)

compton3bravo
21st Jul 2023, 15:24
Hi KeMac. If you would like to PM maybe I could help - author of a book on the Viscount 700 which includes information about Channel Airways. I flew on a DC-3 of Channel in June 1961 from Southend to Ostend. Always happy to help other authors where possible.
C3B

Loose rivets
21st Jul 2023, 22:41
KM Exactly what I was 'talking' about popped up on another site. Total coincidence. Check your PM's

v812
22nd Jul 2023, 09:23
Worked for Channel in Guernsey from 1967-1970.
Viscount would route Sen-Gci-Jer. One day Jack Jones arrived on the aircraft from Sen. We had 30 min turn round. He complained that was too long for the transit passengers to Jer to sit ion the aircraft.
From then on we were given 15 mins to turn the Viscount around on all departures. As a result we would always announce the departure before the aircraft arrived. Normally with 1 staff and 2 loaders challenging time to meet departure.
Would go and meet aircraft go on flight deck and give Captain loadsheet. Pick up ships box,then say to inbound pax follow me to arrivals hall. Continue on to Customs to get paperwork stamped and then to gate to take out outward pax.
On arrival at aircraft get loadsheet from Captain and check with Cabin crew all ok. In the meantime the 2 loaders had offloaded and loaded the baggage.
Then stood front of aircraft for start up. All done in 15 mins great fun.

Guernsey always fogged out before Jersey but on this one Sunday the opposite happened and in space of 30 mins we had 4 aircraft divert in to Guernsey.. Only Station Manager and myself on duty and 2 loaders. After a few hours Station Manager convinced Ops that Jersey weather wasnt going to improve and we should put these pax on boat to Jersey. So coaches arranged and approx 250 pax sent to harbour to board ferry. We then utilised one of the aircraft to depart our Guernsey pax routing it Guernsey-Bournemouth-Southend-Stansted.
Unfortunately an hour after pax had departed for harbour Jersey weather opened up and 3 Viscounts positioned empty to Jersey !!

OUAQUKGF Ops
22nd Jul 2023, 10:26
Isn't that just typical ?! (I had 5yrs of sorting out Channel Island wx disruptions as a BIA Mocon).

dixi188
22nd Jul 2023, 13:46
I worked in the cafe at Bournemouth - Hurn in 1969 and one day we had 8 Viscounts divert in due to CI fogging out. IIRC 5 Channel airways, 2 BMA and 1 BEA. These 500 odd pax were given a voucher for tea and cake in the small terminal.
I remember watching people and taking their cups as soon as they had finished drinking so it could be washed and used for the waiting customers.
After about 3 hours all the aircraft departed and normal service resumed.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Jul 2023, 14:14
I worked in the cafe at Bournemouth - Hurn in 1969 and one day we had 8 Viscounts divert in due to CI fogging out. IIRC 5 Channel airways, 2 BMA and 1 BEA. These 500 odd pax were given a voucher for tea and cake in the small terminal.
I remember watching people and taking their cups as soon as they had finished drinking so it could be washed and used for the waiting customers.
After about 3 hours all the aircraft departed and normal service resumed.

Forgive I for the small thread drift, but when did the old terminal mentioned above close ? I flew into BOH in 2007 on Ryanair and we got our bags from that roller 'belt' outside the terminal (that went through a small flap into the terminal). I might even have succumbed to a cuppa in said cafe.
​​​​​​​

chevvron
22nd Jul 2023, 15:41
Forgive I for the small thread drift, but when did the old terminal mentioned above close ? I flew into BOH in 2007 on Ryanair and we got our bags from that roller 'belt' outside the terminal (that went through a small flap into the terminal). I might even have succumbed to a cuppa in said cafe.

Far as I recall from my attendances at the College of ATC, we started in late '71 and were in the old terminal but when we graduated in '74, the new one was open.

dixi188
22nd Jul 2023, 17:41
I don't remember the "New" terminal being built, and I was working nearby until 1976. I returned to work at Hurn in 1983 and the "New" terminal was there. This was demolished around 2011 when the current terminal was built.
When I worked in the old cafe there were Wallace Arnold coaches from Glasgow that brought passengers for the Channel Airways viscounts to the Channel Islands. I had trouble understanding the Glaswegian accent and I had not seen Scottish pound notes before. I had to ask the boss if they were legal.
54 years ago!
Have we mentioned the two HS748 accidents on the same day at Portsmouth airport?

blind pew
22nd Jul 2023, 17:45
I started my ppl at a club called Avair funded by a scrap metal dealer who conned its members out of the annual membership then folded it. One of the frequent visitors was Tony? Jones, Jack’s son who had a twin rating..He was mates with one of my first assistant instructors whom Jack was so impressed with that he sponsored him for a commercial. He went onto fly with Britannia..was mentioned here afew years ago re cooking a brace of Darts after landing
My mother was manageress of the greasy spoon and assistant manageress of the restaurant under Ted? Rosser whom my father thought was knocking off my mum. I witnessed a punch up on our front garden (corner prefab corner of Rochford road and Mannering gardens)..around 1953.
My dad did catering along with Eddie Tropper who owned Palmera Court hotel on Westcliff sea front until he drove the van into the flaps whilst on his way to load the catering. End of Channel contract.
They were lots of airport parties but because of the fairly common loses my mum and dad would never fly. Except for a BEA IT flight to Famagusta via Nicosia they never flew with me. My mum had worked for BKS (Mike Keagen PA)
John Laker (Fred’s brother) was a mate of my dads. John was ex bombers and BOAC.

Loose rivets
22nd Jul 2023, 18:02
The captain of one of those 748s is, or was until recently, still instructing not far away.

I'm not sure what order they arrived in but it would have helped a lot if the second captain had been advised about the first incident. They felt it might unnerve the pilots and so kept shtum.

chevvron
22nd Jul 2023, 19:25
The captain of one of those 748s is, or was until recently, still instructing not far away.

I'm not sure what order they arrived in but it would have helped a lot if the second captain had been advised about the first incident. They felt it might unnerve the pilots and so kept shtum.
They had a third one about the same time but that was at Lympne before they built the hard runway.

OUAQUKGF Ops
22nd Jul 2023, 21:26
Was the 'third one' Skyways rather than Channel ?

Loose rivets
23rd Jul 2023, 01:25
The Isle of Wight was on 6th May 62.

bean
23rd Jul 2023, 03:34
They had a third one about the same time but that was at Lympne before they built the hard runway.
No. That was Skyways 1965

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Jul 2023, 06:08
I don't remember the "New" terminal being built, and I was working nearby until 1976. I returned to work at Hurn in 1983 and the "New" terminal was there. This was demolished around 2011 when the current terminal was built.

Ha ha! Looks like I was late to the party! Yes, the old terminal, or at least the outside sections (clad in what looked like creosoted wood) was to former users the 'new' terminal. I remember the feeling of how charming it was (to me), as I'd only ever visited the perimeter of BOH previously. Maybe the sections I saw were remnants of the 'old old' terminal still attached to the 'new old' terminal ?

v812
23rd Jul 2023, 08:54
i checked passengers in at Guernsey for 748 that overran at Portsmouth. Remember large party from Esher Girl Guides which meant number of children which helped low passenger weight. Putting 58 on a 748 could be rather challenging when calculating take of weight..

Loose rivets
23rd Jul 2023, 11:44
Did you ever check a full load on a DC3? I'm mindful that we used to get over 40 on them, including 3 crew. However, as the years tick by I'm wondering if I'm miss-remembering.

v812
23rd Jul 2023, 16:15
No Dc-3 S and Vikings had gone by the time I joined. However 84 on a Viscount could be quite challenging.
Also Trident departures from Jersey were quite impessive

bean
23rd Jul 2023, 16:28
Did you ever check a full load on a DC3? I'm mindful that we used to get over 40 on them, including 3 crew. However, as the years tick by I'm wondering if I'm miss-remembering.
40 is correct for the Channel Daks

Loose rivets
23rd Jul 2023, 16:45
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/460x276/0_sen_viking_269331b1672609a4d5ab7147470236148443683c.jpg

Those Viking chaps were always vying with us for the shortest 06 landing.

blind pew
23rd Jul 2023, 17:11
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/460x276/0_sen_viking_269331b1672609a4d5ab7147470236148443683c.jpg

Those Viking chaps were always vying with us for the shortest 06 landing.
Before they extended the runway was driving along eastwoodbury lane (in the photo) with her indoors (dad did a tour on lancs as RO or tail end Charlie) when the memorial fighter pair took off and went into opposing 360s..stopped the Bristol 409 which had the roof open to be rewarded with Lanc passing overhead below 50ft with the pair formatting on her wing tips…the throb of the merlins beating - pure F***ing magic.

bean
23rd Jul 2023, 17:14
Right. Time for my input.
First, the Isle of Wight accident
The Captain was a friend of Arthur Whitlock who describes him in his excellent book "'Behind The Cockpit Door"' They had flown together in BKS who at the time held a contract to fly new Vauxhall cars from Luton to Belfast in Bristol Freighters. Whitlock was waiting at Luton to take over a Freighter from his friend. upon arriving at the aircraft shrubbery was discoverd adhering to the undercarriage resulting from a too low approach.
The Captain had already been restricted to freight only operations as a result of concerns about his performance. The final straw was when he ran off the runway at Belfast and he was dismissed. He was then employed by Channel.
His performance in a base check by a Channel Training Captain was observed by chance by the ministry and he failed. He was rechecked again subsequently without ministry presence and he passed the Training Captain putting the previous failure down to nerves from having the ministry on board this is in the AIB files on the accident held in the National Archives and is not in the published report.I believe the AIB were somewhat sceptical about this. The accident occured because of premature descent to try to become VMC and try to creep into Portsmouth.
A possible aggravating factor was a row which occured between the accident Captain and a Channel management Captain involving pressure being applied to have a go at Portsmouth
Also of note from the files are the slips detailing pilots off duty times and the times when they could next be called for duty. suggesting a very ad hoc approach to crewing.
Enough for tonight on this accident. More to follow tomorrow on safety, operations and finances to be quoted from other sources

kcockayne
23rd Jul 2023, 19:14
I seem to remember that Channel put 42 on a Dak - when the standard was 28 - & 54 on the Viking - standard being 36. So, 50% increase on those two. We shuddered at the prospect of 132 on the DC4 !

Loose rivets
23rd Jul 2023, 22:03
That picture was in a newspaper which was posted to me in Texas.

Sotonsean
24th Jul 2023, 18:47
That picture was in a newspaper which was posted to me in Texas.

And if you search for Channel Airways in Google images that particular photo is always there for everyone to see. Its certainly not a rare photo. That photo along with many other similar examples of the former Channel Airways are easily accessible online. Many Channel Airways articles available online plus of course it has it's own Wikipedia page.

Loose rivets
24th Jul 2023, 22:41
I wrote a longish thread about joining Channel but removed it to edit to make it more about Channel and less my trials of meeting their requirements.

Just as an aside, that Viking position was higher than the A10 that flew across my bows on the A140, one beautiful summer's morning when I had to be at Norwich by 06.00.

I know the pilot had the devil in him when he buzzed me and could conceivably have seen my gold braid as he went by and wondered if that was a good thing or not. No, made my day. I wouldn't tell on him. I was probably the only other car for tens of miles, sometimes getting to NWI from Colchester without seeing another vehicle.
Oh, while I'm rambling. On one such morning, just the same and on a long sweeping left hand bend, a lone lorry came in the other direction. At that instant, there was huge bang from the engine bay of my Mk10 Jag which did NOT have rack and pinion steering. The belt had broken and left me with steering load that might have taken a person of modest build. There were no other cars until the NWI circular road.

chevvron
25th Jul 2023, 02:09
Just as an aside, that Viking position was higher than the A10 that flew across my bows on the A140, one beautiful summer's morning when I had to be at Norwich by 06.00.

Only one A10? I wonder where the other one was - they only ever fly in pairs.
On my (rifle) range course at St Athan, the RAF Regt instructor told us that at one of the ranges at Catterick he'd seen a pair of them heading straight towards the firing point so he fired a red verey at them.
'One of them must have seen it' he said, 'I saw it bounce off his canopy'!

Loose rivets
25th Jul 2023, 19:03
Blimey! You wanna be thankful they didn't come back at yer!