PDA

View Full Version : When will we see our cabin crew smile again?

Fridayflyer
8th Jul 2023, 03:50
Surely it’s time to ditch the masks and smile to our customers and fellow crew members?
We must be the only airline left in the world with crew still masking up.
Would have hoped that crew now having had several months of travelling and being allowed outside on layovers to see the rest of the world would reduce the fear they will drop dead without covering up.

Dingleberry Handpump
8th Jul 2023, 05:07
Are masks still required for crew?

Difficult to overstate the stupidity, really.

ACMS
8th Jul 2023, 05:19
Nothing to smile at I would have thought……

AQIS Boigu
8th Jul 2023, 05:38
Are masks still required for crew?

Difficult to overstate the stupidity, really.

Not anymore

Most choose to wear one though

Babyjet_dododo
8th Jul 2023, 08:13
Surely it’s time to ditch the masks and smile to our customers and fellow crew members?
Would have hoped that crew now having had several months of travelling and being allowed outside on layovers to see the rest of the world would reduce the fear they will drop dead without covering up.

a lot of Asian carriers still wear them, notably EVA

corporal klinger
8th Jul 2023, 09:43
You will see cabin crew smile again the moment they get a fair salary. Until then I suggest you leave them alone and mind your own business.

Fly747
8th Jul 2023, 10:11
In HK plenty of people wear them on the MTR and buses etc, why shouldn’t the cabin crew wear them as a free choice? I do suspect there is some element of not wanting to smile as Klinger suggests, they’ve been done over just as much, if not more than the pilots.

Oasis
8th Jul 2023, 10:26
Covid is old news.

There are days I don't think about it at all.

But very time I see a &$&@$ face mask I get triggered and reminded about that horrible time.
Anyone still wearing masks is stuck in time.

It just looks bad, I don't want to be reminded.

Might as well wear a clown suit or full pbe.

There is no health risk for anyone fit enough to be a cabin crew.

nonsense
8th Jul 2023, 11:15
Covid is old news.

Covid is still killing more people than car accidents in Victoria.

https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-deaths/vic
https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/statistics/lives-lost-year-to-date

Angle_of_Attack
8th Jul 2023, 11:26

You're right. The world should bend over backwards to satisfy all your selfish needs.

dabz
8th Jul 2023, 12:48
Covid is old news.

But very time I see a &$&@$ face mask I get triggered and reminded about that horrible time.
Anyone still wearing masks is stuck in time.

Might as well wear a clown suit or full pbe.

There is no health risk for anyone fit enough to be a cabin crew.

Don't come to Asia then.
China, HK, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Korea etc all still have more than 50% people wearing masks.
Signs are still up telling you to sanitize and social distance.
I'd imagine this will continue for years to come.

Progress Wanchai
8th Jul 2023, 13:13

You really are slow on the uptake aren’t you.

Are you even aware that the cabin crew are in industrial action to try to get their conditions improved? This is a group of employees who once had a successful “no smile” campaign. The option to wear masks indefinitely is a gift. (Not to mention the health aspects of doing so).

I realise such potential harm to management’s bonus doesn’t sit well with the only employee group on the planet to record consecutive eNPS scores of -90 and not even talk about entering industrial action to try and rectify the problem.

The strong have left. The weak remain.

Oasis
8th Jul 2023, 15:51
Covid is still killing more people than car accidents in Victoria.

https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-deaths/vic
https://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/statistics/lives-lost-year-to-date

oh, you better do a lockdown again then.. worked so well last time

besides, are they deaths WITH covid or deaths FROM covid, big friggin difference.

did a little digging: https://this.deakin.edu.au/society/counting-coronavirus-deaths

Counting Covid deaths is a mess in Oz

Oasis
8th Jul 2023, 16:02
Don't come to Asia then.
China, HK, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, Korea etc all still have more than 50% people wearing masks.

Typical cultural over-compliance that exists in Asia. I shake my head in disbelief when I see it.

Oasis
8th Jul 2023, 16:03
You're right. The world should bend over backwards to satisfy all your selfish needs.

Please, yes, can you put in a good word for me?

OK4Wire
8th Jul 2023, 22:55
oh, you better do a lockdown again then.. worked so well last time

besides, are they deaths WITH covid or deaths FROM covid, big friggin difference.

did a little digging: https://this.deakin.edu.au/society/counting-coronavirus-deaths

Counting Covid deaths is a mess in Oz
:ok::ok::ok:

MENELAUS
8th Jul 2023, 23:17
Don't come to Asia then.

Then they’re fekking eedjets. Take a look at the rest of the world. They’ve moved on. It’s mentality like this that started off the whole Covid lockdown breach of civil liberties in the first place. Future generations will look back on this, compare it for example to the ‘Spanish flu’ and think what a crock.
Masks. Ffs.

corporal klinger
9th Jul 2023, 03:14
What puzzles me most is the continious surprise of some to discover an Asian culture in.. Asia.

Oasis
9th Jul 2023, 06:57
What puzzles me most is the continious surprise of some to discover an Asian culture in.. Asia.

ii’s no surprise, let me assure you. The attitude is actually fairly good in many cases. Making them hardworking conscientious efficient in the business world.

its just that there’s a flip side to that coin with covid. I just want to move on with my life, covid is now just the flu.

corporal klinger
9th Jul 2023, 07:34
Agreed.Maybe it's related to the history of masks in Asia, was always common to wear them with a cold.. It might also give them some sort of protective layer in a psychological sense.

mothy1583
9th Jul 2023, 09:20
The ones I've asked tell me it's more that it saves them time, hassle and money because they don't have to put on so much makeup. One even told me it was good to be able to eat a biscuit while walking through the cabin and no one knew.

Angle_of_Attack
9th Jul 2023, 10:26
ii’s no surprise, let me assure you. The attitude is actually fairly good in many cases. Making them hardworking conscientious efficient in the business world.

its just that there’s a flip side to that coin with covid. I just want to move on with my life, covid is now just the flu.

You do realise there are illnesses out there other than Covid, right?

I know I'd rather not be sick with anything whilst downroute or having to endure being overworked and dealing with jetlag.

Bekol delay
9th Jul 2023, 12:00

I know I'd rather not be sick with anything whilst downroute or having to endure being overworked and dealing with jetlag.

Downroute sick leave is the best paid sick leave...

Angle_of_Attack
9th Jul 2023, 12:40
Downroute sick leave is the best paid sick leave...

Awesome for you that all you care about is money.

621andy
9th Jul 2023, 14:39
Asians at least when travelling were wearing masks long before Covid...

corporal klinger
9th Jul 2023, 14:44

The problem is where do you stop?
How about wearing a helmet? Or gloves? Protective glasses?

Also I would argue a mask is mainly protecting others, not yourself.

MENELAUS
9th Jul 2023, 18:43
Or you could just lock people up in camps. Whilst you’re at it treat about one of the few productive sectors of society actually bringing stuff in to HK like pariahs. Oh, hang on.

Dingleberry Handpump
10th Jul 2023, 06:31
Or you could just lock people up in camps. Whilst you’re at it treat about one of the few productive sectors of society actually bringing stuff in to HK like pariahs. Oh, hang on.
This.

Never forget that thousands of your colleagues were imprisoned, quarantined, separated from family, estranged from spouses and turned into pariahs by the HK government and people.

Babyjet_dododo
10th Jul 2023, 07:29
This.

Never forget that thousands of your colleagues were imprisoned, quarantined, separated from family, estranged from spouses and turned into pariahs by the HK government and people.

we thank you for your resilience, and being imprisoned for just doing your job. All for the sake of keeping the Directors “you serve” happy.

KABOY
10th Jul 2023, 12:11

The title of this thread would best be placed on social media with a clear plastic face mask and Patrick applauding….

Brand damage has been instigated by the executives, don’t try and give a ****.

They are destroying Asia Miles now, best let them work it out.

main_dog
11th Jul 2023, 07:34

This.

This, plus the fact that during that nightmare the company took advantage to unilaterally and permanently slash our terms and conditions, are the explanation for most of our current problems.

Oasis
11th Jul 2023, 17:20
The changes were actually a long time coming. The fact that they imposed it during covid and the travel restrictions separating families AND simultaneously closing bases, caused a mass-exodus that they, in their infinite wisdom, didn't foresee.
Then they ignored it, hoping it would be short lived, it wasn't. Then they saw they made a mistake, but were unable to acknowledge it, hiding it, denying it.
They couldn't have made a mistake, right? They went to manager school!

'Let's see if we can get some of them back', was the cry from the back of the room..
'Yes, let's entice them to come back, but.... let's impose a training loan to show them just how much we trust them AND..seniority goes back to zero so they and their family will never be able to staff travel again or get a proper roster..'

'great idea!' they exclaimed, 'they will be drawn to us like moth to a flame!'

Progress Wanchai
12th Jul 2023, 12:04
The changes were actually a long time coming. The fact that they imposed it during covid and the travel restrictions separating families AND simultaneously closing bases, caused a mass-exodus that they, in their infinite wisdom, didn't foresee.
Then they ignored it, hoping it would be short lived, it wasn't. Then they saw they made a mistake, but were unable to acknowledge it, hiding it, denying it.
They couldn't have made a mistake, right? They went to manager school!

'Let's see if we can get some of them back', was the cry from the back of the room..
'Yes, let's entice them to come back, but.... let's impose a training loan to show them just how much we trust them AND..seniority goes back to zero so they and their family will never be able to staff travel again or get a proper roster..'

'great idea!' they exclaimed, 'they will be drawn to us like moth to a flame!'

Who’s seniority number do you think they should steal?

Oasis
12th Jul 2023, 20:31
Don't forget that the company made them quit in the first place.

Through inability to provide flexibility and compassion.

The company is the enemy here.

The company likes your message very much because they love the dogs fighting over the scraps.

cxflog
12th Jul 2023, 22:01
Who’s seniority number do you think they should steal?
Does seniority even mean anything at CX anymore?

Progress Wanchai
13th Jul 2023, 10:51

Ask the returning brushwhingers.

BubbaJ
14th Jul 2023, 04:02

Does at the staff travel desk, that's about it.

Oasis
14th Jul 2023, 07:00
And the roster, which doesn't even seem to work anyway, but basically you will never be able control your life, and even when you have time off, you will probably not get on a flight.

For the rest of you career.