PDA

View Full Version : AMS slot reductions - effect on the UK

davidjohnson6
7th Jul 2023, 16:21
The appeal court in the Netherlands has now ruled that an 8% (or more) slots reduction at Amsterdam Schiphol can now go ahead. The possibilities for further legal appeal are now rather limited - it's time to deal with reality.

Yes, there's still some horse trading to happen between airlines... but it looks like KLM, Easyjet (and other airlines) need to reduce the number of flights between the UK and AMS by about 8%. Yes, I expect aircraft size on routes to/from AMS to gradually increase but slot numbers still need to be cut.
Which UK airports should be targetted ? Is this to be the death of Teesside ?

pabely
7th Jul 2023, 16:25
The appeal court in the Netherlands has now ruled that an 8% (or more) slots reduction at Amsterdam Schiphol can now go ahead. The possibilities for further legal appeal are now rather limited - it's time to deal with reality.

Yes, there's still some horse trading to happen between airlines... but it looks like KLM, Easyjet (and other airlines) need to reduce the number of flights between the UK and AMS by about 8%. Yes, I expect aircraft size on routes to/from AMS to gradually increase but slot numbers still need to be cut.
It will be Cargo & BizJets which go first, why DHL and local employees furious!

pug
7th Jul 2023, 16:29

Do you have any good news to report, ever?

davidjohnson6
7th Jul 2023, 16:41
Do you have any good news to report, ever?
I'm a Dementor with an interest in aviation. We don't do good news :E
https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Dementor

pug
7th Jul 2023, 17:06
I'm a Dementor with an interest in aviation. We don't do good news :E
https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Dementor

I suppose we need them, and I’m negative at the best of times. But….

davidjohnson6
7th Jul 2023, 21:58
The Dutch cabinet has collapsed. I guess S24 will not see a slot reduction after all
Happier now pug ? :}

ATNotts
8th Jul 2023, 06:50
If this comes to pass perhaps Rotterdam could be the winner as carriers that don't rely heavily on connecting traffic could easily transfer from AMS given the excellent rail connections between Den Haag, Rotherham and Amsterdam Central Station?

Easyjet would seem a prime candidate to move.

V_2
8th Jul 2023, 07:12
If this comes to pass perhaps Rotterdam could be the winner as carriers that don't rely heavily on connecting traffic could easily transfer from AMS given the excellent rail connections between Den Haag, Rotherham and Amsterdam Central Station?.

There’s no rail connection at RTM airport though. Either 1 long bus or a short bus and the tram to Rotterdam central station. Not terrible but not ideal.

​​​​​​​im sure the residents of Rotherham would love a direct train service to Amsterdam though.

SWBKCB
8th Jul 2023, 07:24
I've got in the back of my head that RTM is quite restricted in number/type of movements? 8% isn't that much, and I doubt it will be across the board. I agree with Pabely that biz and cargo will get displaced first. I don't see any reason why UK feeder routes should be targeted first - routes on the continent with alternative rail services would seem to be favourites. not those that are crossing the sea.

God knows how Teesside got dragged into this (apart from trolling). KLM have stuck with Teesside through thick and thin, so obviously see value in the market - I doubt that anybody knows it better.

Asturias56
8th Jul 2023, 07:44
If this comes to pass perhaps Rotterdam could be the winner as carriers that don't rely heavily on connecting traffic could easily transfer from AMS given the excellent rail connections between Den Haag, Rotherham and Amsterdam Central Station?

Easyjet would seem a prime candidate to move.

God - have you ever been to Rotterdam Airport? Fine for small aircraft but a single 2200m runway and few facilities

Asturias56
8th Jul 2023, 07:46
Of course the easiest way round an 8% reduction in flights is to use bigger aircraft - A321's rather than A320's for example

And keep those A380's to hand

ATNotts
8th Jul 2023, 07:50
God - have you ever been to Rotterdam Airport? Fine for small aircraft but a single 2200m runway and few facilities
To be honest no, but from your description runway appears adequate for UK/NL and the lack of facilities ideal for a LoCo operation, after all they use LTN (sorry, uncalled for!).

AirportPlanner1
8th Jul 2023, 09:58
Rotterdam is great if you’re going to Rotterdam and I found the bus/metro transfer very fast and efficient. It’s not going to be too appealing however for vast numbers of people going to and from Amsterdam, neither will it be particularly quick. On that basis Eindhoven to Amsterdam would become more competitive

LGS6753
8th Jul 2023, 10:01
Hopefully there will be a general election in Holland and BBB will win. That will put the cat amongst the pigeons.

ATNotts
8th Jul 2023, 11:35
Hopefully there will be a general election in Holland and BBB will win. That will put the cat amongst the pigeons.
BBB would have the whole of Schiphol turned over to grazing for Fresian cattle!!

ATNotts
8th Jul 2023, 11:38
Rotterdam is great if you’re going to Rotterdam and I found the bus/metro transfer very fast and efficient. It’s not going to be too appealing however for vast numbers of people going to and from Amsterdam, neither will it be particularly quick. On that basis Eindhoven to Amsterdam would become more competitive
Eindhoven to Amsterdam wouldn't be any quicker so far as I can see.

Looking at the NS website RTM to Amsterdam Central Station is between 60 - 90 minutes, longer than I thought but still less than from Eindhoven Airport to Amsterdam.

colinhunn
8th Jul 2023, 11:57
Yes but what about their s**t and the effect on global warming??

Asturias56
8th Jul 2023, 12:47
" but from your description runway appears adequate for UK/NL "

terrible shortage of Louis Vuitton, expensive watch shops and other "facilities".

years ago we checked in , were told the flight was late so we could all go back landside & the (small) bar - Immigration sent someone over to round us all up when it arrived. Nice but small

inOban
8th Jul 2023, 13:20
To be pedantic, the methane from cows is belched out from the front end, the s××t is less of a problem.

ATNotts
8th Jul 2023, 13:36
terrible shortage of Louis Vuitton, expensive watch shops and other "facilities".

Sounds like my kind of airport!

Looking at the RTM website they don't exactly make a big thing about their retail offer.

Curious Pax
8th Jul 2023, 15:46

watched an Iberia 747-200 arrive there back in the day with Real Madrid onboard!

Asturias56
8th Jul 2023, 17:39
yeah - 50 PAX................ but very heavy wallets