PDA

View Full Version : Heveningham Wildcat crash, 6/7/23...

treadigraph
7th Jul 2023, 09:55
What sadly looks like a serious injury for the pilot of a Grumman Wildcat (not TFC's) which ended up on its back landing at a Suffolk stately home strip.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/316523

GeeRam
7th Jul 2023, 20:26
Blimey, the FM-2 Wildcat had only finished it's restoration by ARC last October. Hope the pilot makes a full recovery.

B2N2
8th Jul 2023, 03:17
Blimey, the FM-2 Wildcat had only finished it's restoration by ARC last October. Hope the pilot makes a full recovery.

It reads like it overturned on landing for a private event. Was that an approved private strip or the front yard at a mansion?

DaveReidUK
8th Jul 2023, 06:44
It reads like it overturned on landing for a private event. Was that an approved private strip or the front yard at a mansion?

Both. :O

The strip appears to be used on only a handful of days per year in connection with the Heveningham Country Fair.

McceIaQGGLc

Heveningham Hall Country Fair (https://countryfair.co.uk/)

FUMR
8th Jul 2023, 12:57
Watching that landing at Heveningham it surprises me that they have trees so close to the threshold.

treadigraph
8th Jul 2023, 14:14
Suffolk Wildcat nose over - unsubstantiated rumour suggests well known pilot who has suffered a fractured skull. Whoever he is, best wishes and hope a good recovery is already gaining pace.

Echo Romeo
8th Jul 2023, 15:41
Watching that landing at Heveningham it surprises me that they have tress so close to the threshold.

The Warbirds use a different strip to the East of the visitors strip.

GeeRam
10th Jul 2023, 13:20
Suffolk Wildcat nose over - unsubstantiated rumour suggests well known pilot who has suffered a fractured skull. Whoever he is, best wishes and hope a good recovery is already gaining pace.

Yes, have heard its who I thought it might be, and has been named elsewhere on the net, and so I'm glad while a serious injury, it shouldn't be life changing......... and another one to add to the list of crashes survived!

treadigraph
14th Jul 2023, 10:10
Wildcat pilot seems to be confirmed as John Romain, great news is that he is apparently back home which is good to hear. Hopefully this means his injuries were far less severe that might have been indicated. As Mike Patey would say "back to work!" :ok:

GeeRam
15th Jul 2023, 09:48
Wildcat pilot seems to be confirmed as John Romain, great news is that he is apparently back home which is good to hear. Hopefully this means his injuries were far less severe that might have been indicated. As Mike Patey would say "back to work!" :ok:

That's 3 of his 9 lives used up now in terms of warbird crashes he's survived!!

treadigraph
15th Jul 2023, 10:33
1st Blenheim at Denham and the Buchon forced landing at Headcorn?

GeeRam
15th Jul 2023, 12:53
1st Blenheim at Denham and the Buchon forced landing at Headcorn?

Wasn't aware of the Buchon forced landing at Headcorn (or just forgotten about it), in which case that's 4 lives out his 9 then.

John was also on board F-BEEA, the French operated B-17G that crashed and burned out during take-off from RAF Binbrook during filming of the movie Memphis Belle in 1988.

treadigraph
15th Jul 2023, 13:18
Blimey, I wasn't aware he was on F-BEEA! The Buchon was a major problem with the Merlin while doing a wing over or something, he had some power I think and pulled off a great landing on the runway - engine stopped during roll out, mags off or seized I don't recall

JEM60
15th Jul 2023, 21:39
I believe he also had a close one in the States testing a Buchon/109 involving hitting a large pole that made a real mess of one of his wings.Some years ago, that one. Another safe landing.